Author Topic: TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.3 - Last update: 21th June 2018  (Read 78532 times)

Wait, can you actually do this in AGS script, or is this just something that ought to be possible? I never knew about this, if it's possible! Way cool!

This is how several array-like attributes are done, like Game.AudioClips, System.AudioChannels etc, you've been using these all along.

The attributes are still not documented inside the manual itself, there is only this slightly outdated wiki article: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Keyword:_attribute
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2018, 11:10 by Crimson Wizard »

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    • abstauber worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • abstauber worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Sorry if this seems patronizing, you probably knew most of it already, but I wasn't sure exactly what part of it had you confused.
Not at all, this was quite insightful. Although I have to admit that in the end the wiki article did the trick of me fully understanding what attributes do in AGS :)

But since the wiki article mentions it: will this scripting feature still be supported in the future? I sure hope so ;)

But since the wiki article mentions it: will this scripting feature still be supported in the future? I sure hope so ;)

Like I said, the article is bit outdated, and attributes are fully supported and should not be abandoned.

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    •  
Many thanks! I've refactored the Tumbleweed template to use attributes now. But I won't do it with this template as I'd really like users to switch to the newer template and this one has not been refactored at all.

Maybe it would have been smarter to call the Tumbleweed Template "9-verb MI-Style 2.0" :-\

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    •  
@Monsieur OUXX
Have a look over here:
https://github.com/dkrey/ags_tumbleweed/blob/master/dialogscript.asc
https://github.com/dkrey/ags_tumbleweed/blob/master/dialogscript.ash

1) they make the things accessible from outside
check

2) they group the settings by category
I decided against individual arrays for each category of settings, as I find this a bit too confusing when setting up a new GUI. The options are still somehow categorized by the attribute name.

3) they make them reflexive (accessible by index or name in the array of settings, allowing to tie them to an in-game console system)
check

4) they clarify the initialization sequence and keep the object in a consistent state

err... 1/2 check? The initialization is done by the internal AGS functions. There is no needed sequence or order for the options to be set. Also the whole dialog GUI is now static.

And as said before: this won't make it into this template. But since the module doesn't have dependencies, you should have no problems importing the code from Tumbleweed Verbs.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2018, 15:33 by abstauber »