Started by Matt Frith, Wed 07/10/2009 17:48:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Frith

Upper Tier Studios proudly presents:

Star Trek Newton - Episode One: Anomaly

“No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess”

-Isaac Newton

Story:

Crewman John Fischer is a recent graduate of Starfleet Academy assigned to the USS Newton, a
Constitution-class vessel currently tasked with performing scientific surveys in Sector 004. On
the completion of his first week aboard his new assignment, John begins to realise that the reality
of life in Starfleet isn't all chasing hostile aliens and meeting strange cultures. In fact, it can be quite
dull.

No sooner does he log this gloomy summary than the ship is rattled by some unseen force that
disables many of the ships systems! Isolated and unaware of what is wreaking havoc on the Newton,
John must get to his duty station and help himself and his crew stabilise the ship.

About:

Star Trek Newton is set in the Original Series era (around the 2260s) and the titular vessel is a
sister ship of the Enterprise.

Screenshots:

A calm before the storm

The mysterious disturbance has left one of the crew injured.

Team:

Tier- Story, scripting, and animations
Disco- Animations and additional design
Magintz- GUI

Progress:

We are pleased to inform that the game is, for all intents and purposes, finished. With a
complete alpha, we are now turning to beta testing and spiffing up the code and adding a few more
interactions/music. Expect the completed game to be posted before November.

Series:

Each episode is intended to be one part of a three episode story arc, with each featuring roughly 40 to 60 minutes of gameplay.

Follow the game and series progress on our Facebook fan page:

Upper Tier Studios

8th October
-Updated the screenshots with the new GUI

m0ds

Good luck!

The graphics look a wee bit basic, but it's not the style - it's the fact the GUI seems to be missing.

Here's to you perhaps making and releasing your first game, Tier!

And here's to Gayry for actually comitting to a project for the first time in about 5 years.

:=

And here's to three games in the top 5 threads having "Star" in their name and 2 of them being Star Trek. And none of them being released yet. And to there being way too many star trek games in production. And to Jeroen Dekker who never finished his spoof. And to me for and-ing everything I can think of! And you - avid reader - for absolutely nothin' :P

jamesreg

Its nice to see someone else doing a trek game best of luck to you I hope your project works well for you.
Our graphic styles are different but if our team can help yours in any way let me know.

I have a great musician who has a good feel for classic trek music scores and sound effects if this would help in anyway.

also could help possibly with some sprites or something along the way.

again good luck

TerranRich

I like the style. Here's to TerranRich, who agreed to beta-test early on. ;)

Matt Frith

mods: I agree that the GUI is pretty non existant at the moment, ive had some time to change it around a little today and improve it somewhat.  To clarify, Magintz only made the save and load GUIs and the main one was made my yours truely (which is why its lame).  I will upload some updated screenshots sometime today!

jamesreg: Thanks!   Ive read your posts on your thread and think that we are making these games for pretty much the same reason:

-Having fun.
-Learning AGS (at last!).
-Giving something back.

Thanks about the music offer! Im trying to do it myself at the moment with varying results so I will let you know :)  Best of luck with your game(s).

TerranRich:  Thanks for your comment about the style! Given that my artisic style is somewhat limited, I thought a simplistic style was the best idea.  As it turns out, I think it has a similar feel to the Original Series style.  Oh, and I will contact you (via pm or #ags) when the beta is ready :)

markbilly

I love the way you've shown the inside of the wall on the first screen shot to the left. That's a really neat stylistic touch (that's if I haven't misinterpreted it...)

Well done, and good luck on getting it finished! :)

Disco

Quote from: TerranRich on Thu 08/10/2009 01:10:08
I like the style. Here's to TerranRich, who agreed to beta-test early on. ;)

Wow! It's exciting to see this talk of beta testing already, being on the other side of production for once :)

Hopefully you will be ready to test soon as I am halfway through the final animation now (barring anything we might decide to add at the last minute), and it is the longest one in the game 8)

anthonyjmf

This looks fantastic, well done! reminds me of that classic dan dare platform come 3d adventure game but transposed to true trek universe! great! any idea on isse date of first episode?

cheers, anthony

Matt Frith

Thanks, Anthony!  Hopefully you will enjoy the game once it's released!  I think we are ahead of schedule  at the moment and will be doing some beta testing soon.  If all goes well, we should be releasing by the end of the month!  I think i'm getting ahead of myself as I've already begun making sprites for the next game :D

Disco

Thanks for the interest everyone! :)

Earlier today I finished the final necessary animation (!), although we are looking at doing a few idle animations or other little touches to give more life to the game.

Tier has been on bug patrol for the last week and a bit since alpha, and has been adding lots more interactions and descriptions daily, which has added plenty more thrills to each new build.

We reckon there's nearly another week of testing and little graphical additions here and there before we can let you all have a go. :D

anthonyjmf

Fantastic :-)

Finally a star trek game that has true adventure appeal, looking forward to journey!

Cheers,

Anthony.

IndieBoy

Looks interesting. I'm going to keep an eye out for this one. Best of luck.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

anthonyjmf

HI mittens,

Any update on release date? :-)

Anthony
Quote from: Disco on Wed 21/10/2009 05:22:23
Thanks for the interest everyone! :)

Earlier today I finished the final necessary animation (!), although we are looking at doing a few idle animations or other little touches to give more life to the game.

Tier has been on bug patrol for the last week and a bit since alpha, and has been adding lots more interactions and descriptions daily, which has added plenty more thrills to each new build.

We reckon there's nearly another week of testing and little graphical additions here and there before we can let you all have a go. :D

Matt Frith

Hopefully if all goes to plan, the game will be released some time tomorrow :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk