IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game! - It is time.

Started by monkey0506, Mon 23/11/2009 07:07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I Wonder What Happens In I Wonder What Happens In Tales of Monkey Island: Rise of the Pirate God

WARNING: THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND GAME SERIES BY TELLTALE GAMES.

For those who don't know a certain member of the TellTale Games forums named Majus has become somewhat of a celebrity due to his "I Wonder What Happens In..." videos in which he makes comical speculations about upcoming episodes of Tales of Monkey Island. Due to the popularity of these videos and the impending end of this "season" of Tales, people have begun to ask, "When will 'I wonder what happens... 105' be released?" Based on the discussions in that thread there's been a lot of hype over an "I Wonder What Happens..." for Majus' upcoming video. There's even a thread full of awesome people who are planning a project similar to this one.

I do stress similar due to the fact that unlike what most people would expect from an IWWH...this is not in fact a video project. No, once I realized that people were serious about IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG, I decided to take a different approach to it. Something a bit more interactive.

So I quickly commissioned Ben304 to help me with this "super quick miniproject". Of course both of us being absurd as we are decided to take the thing far more seriously than entirely necessary, and it wasn't long before Ben had produced these:

This is a super awesome fan game of a fan video of a licensed game series based on characters created in an original game series from the '90s. :D

Current project members include:

monkey_05_06 (T, A) - Project lead, scripting, design, dialogues
Ben304 (A) - Graphics, testing, puzzle design
Maxilyah (T) - Voice acting (Morgan), testing, puzzle design, dialogues
Icedhope (T) - Voice acting (LeChuck, ###), testing
puzzlebox (T) - Voice acting (Elaine)
Secret Fawful (T) - Voice acting (Guybrush), testing
Calin Leafshade (A) - Voice acting (Winslow)
m0ds (A) - Music
hplikelike (T) - Sound Effects
Sylvr (A) - Testing
tbm1986 (T) - Testing
[ Arj0n ] (A) - BETA tester
Silverwolfpet (T, A) - BETA tester
Skarnet (T) - BETA tester
Gadesa (T) - BETA tester
Edward VanHelgen (T) - BETA tester

T - TellTale forum member, A - AGS forum member
Unless otherwise noted "testing" indicates testing during alpha development stage.

Credit for the original plotline of this game goes to StLouisRibs (T) who came up with this script, which was the concept from which this game was built. Mad props to StLouisRibs for this.

Oh, also this, from a PM:

Quote from: MajusHey monkey!

You are a hero! I think it’s brilliant that you want to make IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG, and what a chatchy short name!

Oh and in accordance with the rules ::)...

General plotliney thing:

For those who haven't been playing/following the Tales storyline, spoilers ensue.

In Episode 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, Guybrush is put on trial for heinous acts of piracy as well as ultimately for releasing a foul voodoo pox upon the Caribbean. The now reformed LeChuck steps in however and saves the day just before Guybrush is about to be sent to the gallows. But what's this? Just after Guybrush goes to in turn save Elaine from the evil clutches of the Marquis de Singe, LeChuck shows up and kills him!

In Episode 5: The Rise of the Pirate God we understand that Guybrush, having been "executed" by LeChuck is now sent to the land of the undead. How will he escape? How will he get back to the land of the living and save Elaine from who we now know really was evil all along, his arch-nemesis LeChuck? Who is this "Pirate God" that the title of Episode 5 references? What zany antics will Majus and his crew come up with in order to answer these questions?

Well, I can't speak for Majus or his crew, but it might go something like this...

It is time.

That's right people! The moment you've been waiting for since practically forever has finally come! IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game! is finally here!

There are still some things that I'd like to be able to do to this game, so there's a good chance that this might still be updated with changes in the future, but you've all been asking for it, so here it is:

Download (full game) (35.43 MB)
Download (no speech) (1.47 MB)
Speech file download (33.96 MB)

I included the game without speech for those either without speakers or who just simply prefer the game that way or have slower connections. The speech file is also available as a standalone download in case you grabbed the wrong file. Just put it in the same folder as the game.

Controls are:

Arrow keys/Num Pad/WASD: Movement
Left click: Interact/talk to/look at (interacts wherever applicable)
Right click: Look at
Ctrl+Q/Ctrl+C/Alt+X: Quit game

There's also been some rumours circulating about some type of "cheat codes" so keep an eye out for those as well.

Enjoy the game folks!

-monkey

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Eeronaut

Wonderful work on the Guybrush-sprite.
I've been trying to make my own Tales-Guybrush based on the sprites from MI2, with sub par results.
Video games are nice I guess
My website

arj0n

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 23/11/2009 07:07:51
super awesome fan game of a fan video of a licensed game series based on characters created in an original game series from the '90s. :D
Awesome project, and an awesome sentence too ;)
Nice sprites Ben!

monkey0506

Heh, Ben's actually pretty sore coz I used the "wrong" screens. I used an older/"crappier" rendition that what will be in the final version. He wanted me to make note of that, and once the game is released he wants me to post the "right" ones. :=

ThreeOhFour

VERY sore!  >:(

;D

Thanks for the nice comments, all :)

Cyrus

Very interesting! What kind of GUI are you using?

Takyon

ghost.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Mon 23/11/2009 14:19:21
Title is too short.

Just wait until you see my next game, Vincent!  ;)

QuoteVery interesting! What kind of GUI are you using?

It's a custom one which is quite similar to the one used in the Tales of Monkey Island episodes.

monkey0506

Sorry Vince, I really tried to extend it as much as possible. I even threw "The Game" at the end, but that just means we all lost, doesn't it?

Quote from: Ben304 on Mon 23/11/2009 14:38:05
QuoteVery interesting! What kind of GUI are you using?

It's a custom one which is quite similar to the one used in the Tales of Monkey Island episodes.

Yeah, but without click 'n' drag. I tried doing that but for some reason it was being retarded so I said "screw it" and tossed it. So the primary control scheme will be arrow keys/num pad/W,A,S,D. Left click will be used to interact/pick up/talk to, right click will be used to look at.

Atelier

Heh, two forums form an alliance to make a fan game. That's cool!

Clarvalon

Granted, I've not played the new TellTale installments, but I do wish the Monkey Island series had remained 2D.  Looks good.
XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

Bulbapuck

This looks absolutely amazing :D
Will it be spoiler-heavy though?
You see I'm planning to purchase "Tales ..." at some point in the future. It would be a shame to spoil it...

monkey0506

A list of spoilers is as follows:

Spoiler
Morgan Leflay, a new character to MI, dies in Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood.
[close]

Spoiler
Guybrush Threepwood is murdered at the hands of LeChuck in Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood.
[close]

Spoiler
In Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God, we can only infer from the title that some sort of pirate god will come into power. Reference is made to this.
[close]

Also see the original post for a more detailed explanation...but it's not spoiler tagged.

So the only real spoilers here would be for Chapter 4. Primarily
Spoiler
the setting for the game
[close]
is in and of itself a spoiler.

And yes Atelier, it is pretty epic. :=

Scarab

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 23/11/2009 14:54:52
Sorry Vince, I really tried to extend it as much as possible. I even threw "The Game" at the end, but that just means we all lost, doesn't it?

Son of a BITCH! >:( ;D

I'd gone so long without losing, and now i'll lose every time i see this thread.
Grrr :=

Jared

This game looks absolutely stunning - sadly I've been dragging my heels and haven't played Chapter 4 yet, but this will follow closely on that game's heels.

I don't suppose there's any chance of those gorgeous Guybrush sprites being made available for others' fan games? They're the best originals I've seen.

Knox

Wow so awesome...let me know if I can help out in any way! :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

monkey0506

When all is said and done I'd like to be able to release this project as open source, just coz that's how I am. But that will be entirely up to the team as a whole. Ben did the graphics, m0ds on the music, the voice actors...as far as the sprites go though I doubt Ben would have a problem with someone reusing them so long as credit is given where due. ;)

Oh and knox, if you're any good at voice acting we still have Guybrush open. :=

Calin Leafshade

Is there an open audition for guybrush?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk