The Curse of Life ENGLISH VERSION

Started by Tequila144, Fri 11/01/2008 11:42:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Abisso

So I completely suck as a translator... well, I'll train harder.

I suppose English would be the best choice, anyway. (speaking of the U.S./English translation differences).
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

paolo

OK, I've downloaded the Italian version and I'm about to play it... for future reference (although it looks like you've had dozens of offers already) I am available for translating from Italian into English. I am English and have excellent Italian. The best translations are usually those where the translator has the target language as their mother tongue, unless the translator is completely bilingual, so for a translation from Italian to English, it is better to choose an English person who knows Italian well than an Italian who knows English well. That does not mean that Abisso won't do a good job (non ti offendere, Abisso, ti prego!) - I'm sure that he will.

Oh, and if you need any help with translating particular phrases or jokes idiomatically, Abisso, please do feel free to contact me.

zenassem

Quote from: Abisso on Fri 06/06/2008 17:14:16
So I completely suck as a translator... well, I'll train harder.

I suppose English would be the best choice, anyway. (speaking of the U.S./English translation differences).

Abisso, you did a excellent job. It's just sublte changes that are being made, which just winds up taking some time, becuase it doesn't jump out as being incorrect so easily. I also need to keep the context in mind, as the dialogue is not in reading order; rather intermixed with all possible outcomes.

Most of the edits are tense agreements or phrases that don't translate exactly to english. But your translation was nearly 98% on the mark, from what I can tell. For the most part early reorganized the order of the parts of speech.

For example, I guess in Italian it's an insult to talk to one's shoulders. Where in English or the U.S. it's known as talking to one's back, or talking to the back of one's head.

Abisso

I absolutely agree with you Paolo. The best translations are made from a translator who has the target language as his mother tongue. I always find easier to translate in Italian, and I can do it faster.

Anyway thanks to you, zenassem, I was just hoping to get reassured when I blamed myself. I'm such a child, sometimes...  ;D

In Italian "parlare alle spalle" o "parlare dietro" are equivalent sentences, but the one you're referring to was supposed to mean: "parlare ad una persona girata di spalle". In the game there's an NPC that talks to the PC giving him his back. It's not intended as "when a person tells a bad thing to another, speaking of a third person that's not with them at the moment". I don't know if "talking to one's back" is the right translation.

Anyway, I'll look for you two when I'm going to release a new game (it's been ages since I last did).

Thanks guys.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

paolo

Ho trovato un bug ma non e' molto grave:

Spoiler

Nella biblioteca, quando hai la scheda-cliente, se prendi il libro "Scoprire codice" e lo dai al bibliotecario, ti chiede la scheda-cliente, ti da' il libro e poi dice, "Spiacente, nessuna schieda, nessun libro." Non importa molto perche' ricevi il libro comunque. Non succede per nessun'altro libro.
[close]

Translation:

I've found a bug but it's not very serious:

Spoiler

In the library, when you have the library card, if you take the book "Discover codes" and give it to the librarian, he asks for the library card, gives you then book and then says, "Sorry, no card, no book." It doesn't really matter because you get the book anyhow. It doesn't happen for any other book.
[close]

Minimi

I'm eagerly waiting for a translation in english! because I kinda like this game, but I don't know shit about what's happening in italian :P

Tequila144

DOWNLOAD ENGLISH VERSION: http://thecol.altervista.org/TheCurseOfLife.rar
(if the download doesn't work, copy link and paste it in bar address of your browser )

AGS gamedatabase page here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1144&refresh1237515618

Leon

Both the link and the Right Click, Save Target As didn't work for me (firefox). I copied the link and pasted it in the address bar of my browser and could download the file...  ???  Just in case others have problems as well.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Tequila144

Try NOW! http://thecol.altervista.org/TheCurseOfLife.rar

copy the link and paste it in the address bar of your browser!

Leon

That's what I said  ;D:

Quote from: Leon on Fri 20/03/2009 02:32:15
I copied the link and pasted it in the address bar of my browser and could download the file...
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Tequila144

Quote from: Leon on Fri 20/03/2009 02:39:56
That's what I said  ;D:

Quote from: Leon on Fri 20/03/2009 02:32:15
I copied the link and pasted it in the address bar of my browser and could download the file...

Yes... but, before the link doesn't work.. NOW OK!

magintz

Playing the English version now. Translation isn't perfect but is readable and the game is still enjoyable with several humourous moments.

My only qualm is with the interface but then again I've never been a fan of the LEC GUI so much unnecessary mouse movements back and forth for each action but at least you got rid of some pointless verbs. Would be nice perhaps if rightclick were to default to look at or some context-sensitive action.

But nonetheless good game, I'm enjoying it so far.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Ieremiou

Finished the game and it was not too bad.
Needs a bit more work in the English language version (there is a lot of mistakes, from missing letters and odd grammar usage) but otherwise pretty fun.
There are a few pixel hunt bits but other than that the story is pretty straight forward.
If any one needs a hint I can help.
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

Tequila144

I believe that is the "basic english version" (made Abisso).. it's not perfect...
Zenassem was improving it, but he stopped the job before ending it...
This happened one year ago... and i I abandoned, for personal motives,  the project.... but now i have decided of upload the "bad english version" even if a lot of fun of the game is lose..

Snake

YAY :D

I've been wanting to play this for a long time. I'll give it a super go later!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

arj0n

Bug:

I saved the game in front of the studio and then restore the game I was able to
Spoiler
look inside the studio and talk with the little man. I was not able to walk, wasn't even visible. When using the door to get outside I was back again at the door with the police man. At that moment I didn't had the pass to get indisde the studio.
[close]

arj0n

Bug #2:
I guess the
Spoiler
"walk behind" isn't properly set with the saw-hole in the studio after the 3 girlies have fallen in to it
[close]

Nissan123

Good job! Sorry for some "bad english" but the story is very nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk