The McCarthy Chronicles: Episode 1

Started by Calin Leafshade, Sun 29/11/2009 18:53:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

-----------------------------------
The McCarthy Chronicles: Episode 1.
-----------------------------------

A film-noir inspired, supernatural detective story.

Rick McCarthy is a private detective marred by a secretive and destructive past.
He is pulled into a world of blood sacrifice and invocation.
Can he hide his past, solve the crime and get the girl?

Controls
----------
Left click to move,
Hold the left button to interact,
Move the mouse to the top of the screen to access the inventory.

Notes
-----------
The McCarthy Chronicles is quite processor intensive due to all the visual effects used. Do no run the game in a higher resolution than necessary. 320x200 is ideal though some LCD monitors may require 640x400 to avoid non 1:1 pixel mapping (Change it to 640x400 if the image appears blurry)

Ensure 'Enable Alternate Letterbox Resolution' is enabled.

The McCarthy Chronicles does not support Directx9 acceleration. Use Direct Draw mode

Download: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1243

And remember to vote after playing.

markbilly

Well done on the release, I'll give it a go as soon as pos! ;)

abstauber

Wow, congrats on finishing this so soon after announcing the project :)

arj0n

Intriguing storyline (a part of the game reminded me a bit of "The Hound of the Baskervilles and the whole storyline looks like it has a bit of Agatha Christie/Arthur Conan Doyle style)", great narrating voicing and character voicing, very nice animations, very cool water puddling effect, and great music and the Film Noir style is awesome in the way of having a certain atmosphere.

Congrads on releasing this one  :)

markbilly

Enjoying it so far. Really good.

Playing on my netbook though and it doesn't like the effects - very laggy. Which suggests maybe they are a little over the top. They look very very nice, though! ;)

Calin Leafshade

yeah this wont play on your average 1.2ghz atom processor.

but it seems to cope fine with most desktop processors. anything above a 2ghz should be ok.

Im fairly sure i couldve coded the effects a little more effectively but i didnt realise at the time how processor intensive they would be.. i'll release another version soon with the effects switchable for people with old computers

markbilly

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sun 29/11/2009 22:35:27
yeah this wont play on your average 1.2ghz atom processor.

but it seems to cope fine with most desktop processors. anything above a 2ghz should be ok.

Oh, I'm sure my desktop will handle it... :) And it does look very nice!

Is the
Spoiler
big long corridor full of locked doors
[close]
a general adventure reference?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 29/11/2009 22:46:56
Is the
Spoiler
big long corridor full of locked doors
[close]
a general adventure reference?

nope, its just a room with some doors in :p

Revan

Loving the game so far...

Couple of small bugs:

Spoiler
there is no voice acting when you use at the doorbell of the mansion
[close]

Spoiler
after talking with Mr Grovesner in his study for the first time I looked at the door Id just come in from (on the right) and Macarthy said "It doesnt answer me" and when i talk to it it says "it's a door" 
[close]

i'll keep playing and let you know if i find any more... Love it so far though...

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Revan on Sun 29/11/2009 23:50:05
Loving the game so far...

Couple of small bugs:

Spoiler
there is no voice acting when you use at the doorbell of the mansion
[close]

Spoiler
after talking with Mr Grovesner in his study for the first time I looked at the door Id just come in from (on the right) and Macarthy said "It doesnt answer me" and when i talk to it it says "it's a door" 
[close]

i'll keep playing and let you know if i find any more... Love it so far though...

ahh shit i meant to fix both of those.

thanks for flaggin them up

Revan

No problem

Found another (still playing lol)

Spoiler
The day after the wolf attacks sarah (1st sighting of the wolf) i went back into her room, and the window was intact. its also intact from the outside (not sure if this is plot or a mistake yet.) just thought id flag it up.
[close]

auriond

Wow, congrats on finishing it! I've been eagerly anticipating this one. Something to play on my next trip :)

Revan

Great game!!

Can't wait for episode 2...

Thought the sound was fantastic. loved the sfx and thought the voice acting was top notch.

Well done!

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Revan on Mon 30/11/2009 00:21:04
Found another (still playing lol)

Spoiler
The day after the wolf attacks sarah (1st sighting of the wolf) i went back into her room, and the window was intact. its also intact from the outside (not sure if this is plot or a mistake yet.) just thought id flag it up.
[close]

Thats created by a particularly serious bug in AGS. It's called laziness.
Spoiler

Lets assume sarah fixed the window. Shes industrious like that
[close]

Wonkyth

Good to see such quick results! 8)
I'll download it now, but I've promised not to play nay games until after new-year, so I'll tell you what I think then. ;)
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Calin Leafshade

who did you promise?

It's got to be a woman... Shes not worth it, man. NOT WORTH IT!

Helme

Just started playing...

Pretty impressive stuff from a technical viewpoint:
- the vintage-filter
- the rain
- reflections in the puddle

I really wanna know how this stuff works.

By the way, great athmosphrere and voice acting so far.

Calin Leafshade

technical achievement was one of the goals. I like coding special effects for some reason.

The next episode has particle effects :D

DazJ

I'm very very impressed with the overall feel of the game. The voice-acting is superb and really helps enhance the experience - what kind of Noir detective game would be complete without the detective narrating? Brilliant.

Also, is it my display or have you added a 'live-grain' look to the backgrounds?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's just me being unable to work out a puzzle but:

Spoiler

I've just gone to sleep for the first time and awoken to a scream but can't do anything. It won't let me go downstairs because he just keeps saying 'I've got to help Sarah. and I can't get in any of the other doors.
[close]

arj0n

Quote from: DazJ on Mon 30/11/2009 11:37:15
I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's just me being unable to work out a puzzle but:
Spoiler

I've just gone to sleep for the first time and awoken to a scream but can't do anything. It won't let me go downstairs because he just keeps saying 'I've got to help Sarah. and I can't get in any of the other doors.
[close]
Not a bug, it's you being unable to work out that puzzle  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk