Inside Monkey Island

Started by Fafri, Thu 11/02/2010 19:34:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Fafri

HI all! I am a new "games creator" and I'm posting you my first two chapter of my first fangame about Monkey Island.
Unfortunatley I'm italian so the games are in italian too and I don't work for a traduction.
I'm sorry but if you want to try this games, I post it.

The story:
For an accident of Voodoo Lady, Guybrush and LeChuck exchange their body and now they must return in the normal situaction but many adventures wait them.

In the first game we play with Guybrush in the LeChuck's body, and in the second game we play with LeChuck in the Guybrush's body.
These are my first games so they aren't so long but i hope that the next chapters are more long then these.

Now the download and GOOD GAME!!

First chapter: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DXS49PH0
Second chapter: www.megaupload.com/?d=JK50352W

LRH

Interesting stuff, but did you take the sprites, graphics, and music from somewhere else...perhaps?  ;)

Anyways, I tried to play through some of it, but since I only know Spanish and English, I could only read bits and pieces of it, and it was too much to handle.  :-[

Leon

Sounds nice. But maybe someone else (Paolo?) can help you translating so you can reach an even wider public?
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Fafri

i'd like to know him and if he want help me i would be happy!  ;D

(Sorry for my english  :))

Leon

You can always send him a message. I'm sure he won't mind, he's a nice guy ;-)

He did a lot of Italian translations already so maybe he wants to have a go at this one as well...

Frodo

I would love to play it, but I don't know Italian.   :(

paolo

Fafri has contacted me and I'm on the case... Thank you for the kind comment, Leon - consider it reciprocated! :D

SuperDre

Google translate comes a long way.. and a lot of times your english might not be that good, but a lot of times you know if the translation is correct or needs some adjustments... and seriously, try to learn english at least, it'll make life a lot easier on the internet...

Leon

Believe me, you don't want to translate a game with Google Translate. You need knowledge of the language to do a proper translation. And regarding Fafri's English: he's coping pretty well with his posts here. But sometimes you're just not confident enough to do proper translations. So you just leave it to the ones who are willing to and ten times better than you as game maker.

SuperDre

Quote from: Leon on Mon 15/02/2010 17:03:31
Believe me, you don't want to translate a game with Google Translate. You need knowledge of the language to do a proper translation. And regarding Fafri's English: he's coping pretty well with his posts here. But sometimes you're just not confident enough to do proper translations. So you just leave it to the ones who are willing to and ten times better than you as game maker.

I do not agree with you on that... You don't really need knowledge of the language to do a proper translation, you need an understanding of what is happening on screen.. I did some translations on some games (only 1 for AGS) using google translate to get the base translation and went with that, ofcourse you really should not copy paste a google translation that I do agree, but then again, a bad translation is almost always better as no translation at all.. Coming from a country where subtitles are a standard thing (only real kiddie programs are dubbed) I can say that a professional (translator) subtitler can also create really bad subtitles..

Leon

You're right. Even professional translators can mess up. But Google doesn't understand sayings, aphorisms and expressions which can totally ruin a plot or story. So it's better to have someone look at it who can translate these saying to a certain extend. Even then it's very hard to translate jokes etc because some clues and word plays can't be translated properly. Then you must look for alternatives that can approach the meaning of the original, something Google never can. And without knowledge of that language it can result in disastrous translations.

Of course Google can help you find the proper meaning of words and can help you to a degree but if you're not comfortable translating... don't.

neon

Right, I'm currently translating my third game and it's always the same. I'm translating, get a recompiled copy of the game and there are always things that don't match. A translating robot like google gives you always the same errors and you can never be sure, that the dialogues work correctly in the game. For good translation, you need a native speaker who puts a lot of work into the translation. Otherwise, you lose fun, sense and in the end the game is not nearly as good as in the original language.

You can see this very clear, when you look at the commercial german translations of the City Interactive titles. The dialogues are completely weird and that always decreases the ratings of the reviews by at least 10 %.

paolo

Leon and neon (are you related, by any chance? :D) are quite right. There are various things in the text of these games that machine translation would have made a complete mess of. The literal translation of certain phrases would have sounded wooden, so I have used more natural-sounding English expressions that conveyed the same sense. Google Language Tools would have given unnatural-sounding language here. There are lots of words whose spelling has been changed to show the way someone is speaking, and translation tools would have given up on them and left them untranslated. Finally, there are also several puns that are completely untranslatable (example: "What do you call an eight-legged dog in the sea? A dinghy!" makes an Italian-speaker groan but makes no sense in English), so I replaced those with completely different English puns. (Anyone who has read with the Asterix and Obelix books in more than one language will be familiar with this trick.)

Anyway, I have now completed the translation but am waiting for clarification of a few issues from Fafri before sending the translation back, so expect to see the English version soon!

paolo

[Oops, sorry - I accidentally replied to my own post.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk