ToMI 2D remake

Started by Jacob, Wed 23/12/2009 12:19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Hi,

I came all the way here from the Telltale Games forums because
I'm in Search for the Holy 2D Tales of Monkey Island beta version.
Did anyone get it?

monkey0506

Quotewe are prevented from allowing a fan game based on "Tales of Monkey Island" to be developed or distributed (even for free)...

The project got C+D'd. If they continue developing it then lawyers and such will get involved. I wouldn't go digging around trying to find it personally coz I wouldn't want to get caught up in the middle of that. "But I just wanted to play..." "Tell it to the judge." :-\

Ryan Timothy B

Which is why I'm curious why you, Monkey, were able to make the Telltale parody game and post it on their site.
I know I've heard before that parody or joke games don't really cross the line with a copyright.  Which is quite odd, cause it's still based on a copyrighted game.

monkey0506

The "I Wonder What Happens..." video series got endorsed (at least somewhat) by TTG (the videos are now hosted on their site). My game was based on the video series, not directly around the Tales series... ::)

And also I think other factors were taken into account. My game was very short, used very few character names (and even fewer character images), didn't reuse any locations from Tales, was intended as speculation as to the upcoming video by Majus....

The referred ToMI 2D project was a full-scale remake of Tales in low-resolution 2D graphics. Reusing 100% of the names, events, locations, imagery, etc.

I don't know all the legality behind it, but I can understand logically the distinct differences between my project and what this one was.

And speaking of my game, did you know that it actually got pseudo-endorsed as well? One of the animations is now an official TTG forum smiley. Haha. And I'm such a prideful prat that I make a point to remind people constantly that I came up with the idea for the animation (animated by Ben). :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk