MAGS April: OROM (One Room One Month) (Winner Announced - See results)

Started by Dualnames, Fri 26/03/2010 18:14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

You're not alone Leon, I still don't get it too. (or maybe you did now?)  I've spend 15 minutes on shifting this grid without any feedback... yes I feel that stupid ;)

Sorry Progz, I'm not smart enough for your game, even though it's very appealing. I actually feel like I'm 10 years old, don't know anything about the english language and try to solve Colonel's Bequest :D

Leon

Nope, still haven't figured it out  :-[
Either it's very simple or very far fetched, but I still don't see the logic in the 9 squares.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

IndieBoy

Yeah I kind of gave up on that game after spending over an hour moving the grid.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Here, the best way to explain the method of aligning each circuit at this point is just to show you one complete circuit:

Spoiler

http:// i485.photobucket. com /albums/rr218/ProgZmax/x-circuit.gif  (remove the spaces)

Here is the completed circuit to power x (and only x) while leaving the other two axis blocks disconnected.

This should make the rest of the solution cake.  If not, I guess the game just isn't for you :\.  My testers solved it without feedback from me so I can only chalk it up to some puzzles being more difficult for some people than others.  Hopefully you'll just realize it's a lot easier than you thought.

[close]

Leon

Well then, this game isn't for me.  
I still can't see how you've created a complete circuit. Where does it start? Where does it end? It should go to the lower right, right? But where should the other side be? Or should I create a closed circuit?

Damn, I hate it when I don't get it. Makes me feel stupid. >:(

[update] I think I'm beginning to see how the circuit works. What i still don't see is how the axis values are related to the circuit.

Ryan Timothy B

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Spoiler
There is some information you get from Scatty and the wristcom (and the circuit layout) that allows you to make at least one important assumption:  The default circuit is currently powering all three axes (x,y,and z),  and the circuit must be returned to this arrangement before powering up the Transputter.  Based on that knowledge you are given the task of arranging the circuit only to power x, only to power y, and only to power z.  So you must ask yourself this question:  What are the blocks I must move to power only the x block in this circuit matrix?  Then, what must I move to power only y?  And so on, knowing that the original arrangement powers all 3.

Imagine you are viewing a small, zoomed-in cross section of a larger circuit board (if that helps).  In the example image, the y and z blocks are themselves disconnected from the rest of the circuit (blocks 3 and 4 with the disconnected wires), leaving ONLY x to receive a complete connection and full power.
[close]

In the end, it's a game and meant for fun, so there's no cause or reason to get upset (either with me or yourself).  Don't allow it to reach that point, that's the best advice I can offer.  There's no reason to play something that isn't engaging or fun for you, and I've literally made every attempt I can to accommodate the people who have had problems short of making the puzzle solve itself (an option I can, of course, add to easy mode, though I'm really against that sort of thing).  I've even taken aboard several of Steve McCrea's great suggestions to make the purpose more clear, so if the screenshot above looks different from yours (particularly the diagram!) then you might try the latest build or wait for the Full Release if that's something you want to do.

I still think some of you might be looking at the circuit and saying 'gee, this looks damn complicated' when you should be looking at it only in terms of 'what do I need to move to power only x, what do I need to move to power only y' and so on.  I'd like everyone to be able to figure this out, but also, I'm glad some people are being challenged by it.  

I've explained it as best I know how, so any further questions should be directed to me via PM to keep this thread from being cluttered :).

Leon:

I think I'm beginning to see how the circuit works. What i still don't see is how the axis values are related to the circuit.
Spoiler
Short answer:  They aren't.  They are just arbitrary power levels for 'proper' operation that result from the correct circuit arrangment.  Arranging circuit x powers that axis with 7.  Also, a trick I included into the test is that, if you repeatedly toggle cycle and the number remains fixed, that's another hint that it's the correct setting.  The random numbers on retest are designed to tell you that you've got an erratic condition.  Hope this helps some!
[close]

abstauber

Just 2 more screenshots and I can at least see the ending ;D

But seriously, I'm finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

SSH

Igor Hardy

What sign does the game give that you you have a proper setting of circuits for a specific axis? I was pretty sure I had it all figured out, but it still doesn't work.  :'(

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Leon

The correct values for the axis have to be:
Spoiler
X:7, Y:5, Z:6
[close]

Also, playing in hard mode make the puzzle easier because it's not reset after each check and you can continue to 'try and error' on the same circuit.

@ProgZ: I'd change the reset after each check option to the hard mode and switch that with what's now in hard mode for above mentioned reason.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You think so?  I can do that.  I originally only had that work on easy so you wouldn't need to reset the circuit to default once you had the axis values, but if you think it's easier WITHOUT it resetting I'll do it the other way around :).

And...done.  The circuit now resets only on 'Full Blast' difficulty.  I'll be uploading the Full Release shortly with this change in effect.  Thanks, Leon!

paolo

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 01/05/2010 15:09:31
Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 01/05/2010 14:59:20
Chicky - haha your entry made me chuckle ^_^

If/when you do get a programmer, make sure he uses the nice, newer versions of AGS that are way nicer to build games with ;). 2.72 is nowhere near as nice to use as the current version!

Awesome! Laughter is the greatest gift, Merry May Ben!  :=

I am on the prowl for a smoking hot AGS programmer to be my game making buddy 4EVA N EVA. Applicants must have nice eyes.

As Ben said "he" and referred to 2.72, which is the version of AGS I am still using (yes, I know...) I'm fairly sure he must be talking about me  ;) I am a smoking hot programmer and my eyes are gorgeous, as anyone will tell you, but unfortunately at the moment they are firmly fixed on This City at Night, which isn't going to finish itself... :-\

Oh yes, I remember what I came here for now... I'm stuck in Snakes of Avalon:

Spoiler
I have the honey and the billiards cue, but have no idea what to do next.
[close]
Can anyone help? Thanks.

Oh, and where can I download Hard Space from? I keep getting "Invalid or deleted file" from the links ProgZMax has given.

Dualnames

Chicky people talk about you and it's bringing me down! Aren't you gonna announce our affair or anything? ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

I am on the prowl for a smoking hot AGS programmer to be my game making buddy 4EVA N EVA. Applicants must have nice eyes.

I believe the position has been filled. 

:o << nice eyes

Dualnames

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 11/05/2010 13:30:32

I believe the position has been filled.  

:o << nice eyes

Oh. Chicky?! Is it true what I've heard then? Calin's your affair?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Chicky

Shit! I've been caught with my pants down!

Sorry Dual, Calin has the womanly charm i was after  :=

I'm kidding of course, i look the most feminine anyway. Calin offered as well and promptly pushed me to get some work done, we're not aiming for a MAGS release this month but just in case we do finish in time, it would be nice to release it without being disqualified by my programmer for having the host on my team  ;)

You still have a spot in my heart Dual, maybe we can have a 'fling' next month ;)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: paolo on Tue 11/05/2010 13:08:12
Oh yes, I remember what I came here for now... I'm stuck in Snakes of Avalon:

Spoiler
I have the honey and the billiards cue, but have no idea what to do next.
[close]
Can anyone help? Thanks

Spoiler
I recommend to get interested in that golden trophy on the shelf.
[close]

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteOh, and where can I download Hard Space from? I keep getting "Invalid or deleted file" from the links ProgZMax has given.
Version 1.0 of the Full Release should be out today (barring Angelic Charon's face melting or a similar catastrophe preventing a final run through) so I'd recommend just waiting a little bit, Paolo.  It will be worth it :D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk