Technobabylon

Started by Technocrat, Wed 20/10/2010 14:18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocrat

It's the future; it's dark; it's dank; it's decadent; it's
Technobabylon

I'll just go and speak to the building manager...it'll be alright...

Bumped out of her comfortable addiction to a simulated world, Latha Sesame finds herself physically and digitally trapped within the confines of her state-provided slum apartment, disconnected from the outside world.

As the single unknowing flaw in a grand and sinister scheme, can she escape before those plotting can correct their mistake?

FIND IT HERE ON AGS

OR HERE ON GAMEJOLT I DON'T MIND REALLY EITHER WAY

- short adventure set in the future
- my first foray into making adventure games with AGS. I feel so dirty.
- a test of what I can manage to make in nine days

...and before you ask where Operation: Forklift has gotten to, not to worry. It's essentially done as well. Just had to do this to stop myself going mad.

Igor Hardy

The visuals and the title sold the game to me in a matter of seconds!

Reminds me strongly of Beneath a Steel Sky.

I'll give you my opinion from playing soon.

Igor Hardy

I've just completed it and I must say... Big congrats it's a thoroughly excellent short game, shining in pretty much every aspect!

I'm now waiting eagerly for Operation Forklift.

cianty

I also just downloaded and played though it and I must: Congrats and thank you! I really enjoyed this nice game. The atmosphere is great. Now I really hope to see Episode 2 some time soon!

I did stumble upon a few things I'd like to mention:
Spoiler

The door's baseline should be overriden to something like 1 or so. Currently, if you stand next to the door, part of the character disappears behind the closed door sprite.

Sometimes it is annoying to have all the text thrown at oneself repeatedly. Like e.g. when I try to use the door terminal I always get the same text, each time she would act like: Surprise, I'm trapped! :)

Maybe I was dumb but I think at one point my inventory disappeared. Then all of a sudden I had the fork again in my inventory. Maybe something's wrong with the inventory scrolling? Or may be I didn't realize something happenings... ::)
[close]
ca. 70% completed

Technocrat

@ Ascovel
Glad you liked it! I'll have it improved in part 2, doubtless.

@ cianty
There's something iffy about inventory in general, that I plan on working out in episode 2 by completely rebuilding it from scratch. Overridden the baseline now though, so the door shouldn't be doing that anymore. Maybe I'll actually have someone test it beforehand next time!

blueskirt

Great game, I can't wait to see the future episodes!

Is it just me or it's impossible create a savegame?

arj0n

Blueskirt: upperleft bar

jkohen

I got stuck. I think I might have hit a bug, because it seems I did what was expected. Namely:
Spoiler

I got the 'knight' to kill the chef after using the virus. I had previously loaded the grate and trophy into the recycling hole.
When I try to use the food machine I still get the error about no material/wrong material. I can't tap back into the uplink because the 'knight' is still busy.
[close]

cianty

You're on a good way, jkohen.

Spoiler
Now check out the food machine again
[close]
ca. 70% completed

jkohen

Quote from: cianty on Wed 20/10/2010 20:01:35
You're on a good way, jkohen.

Spoiler
Now check out the food machine again
[close]

What do you mean exactly? I have done that many times and I still get the message I mentioned.

Igor Hardy

jkohen, you need...

Spoiler
...to put even more metal into the food machine.
[close]

jkohen

Quote from: Ascovel on Wed 20/10/2010 20:07:37
jkohen, you need...

Spoiler
...to put even more metal into the food machine.
[close]

And I find it where...? Nothing in my inventory was accepted and I couldn't pick up anything more. At this pace maybe I should start a thread over at the Hints forum.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: jkohen on Wed 20/10/2010 20:14:07
And I find it where...? Nothing in my inventory was accepted and I couldn't pick up anything more. At this pace maybe I should start a thread over at the Hints forum.

Spoiler
...the shower
[close]

jkohen

Quote from: Ascovel on Wed 20/10/2010 20:21:07
Quote from: jkohen on Wed 20/10/2010 20:14:07

Spoiler
...the shower
[close]

Thanks, I've made it now! Good game, I like what I see. I'm really looking forward to it developing in something with more substance.

blueskirt

Quote from: Arj0n on Wed 20/10/2010 18:53:19
Blueskirt: upperleft bar

What I meant is every time I save my game, nothing happens. When I try to load a previous game there is no savegame to load, as if I never saved at all, except I did.

arj0n

Check the included readme.txt:
"Also, I'm well aware saving the game doesn't seem to work. I'll try and fix it for the next episode, but this thing is so short I'm sure you can get through in one go!"

Technocrat

Quote from: everyone
...the savegames

As I say, I've no idea what went wrong with them, but when they started giving me problems I was so close to finishing that I decided to worry about it next episode. I hope it didn't get in the way of you enjoying it too much!

blueskirt

Nah, the game was short so it wasn't a problem.

abstauber

Very neat game you did there. I especially liked the cyberspace implementation.. so SystemShocking :D

Also quite challenging for such a small project - great work!

By the way, did you draw all ground tiles on your own or is there a special trick (like perspective tiling) ?

Intense Degree

Great little game, very nicely done.

I'm looking forward to the next installment already! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk