MAGS November: "Fate" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Tue 02/11/2010 16:44:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Fate'

This month's guidelines were set by joelphillippage:

Think of games or stories where the main character has had their fate decided for them. How did they respond? Mona De Lafitee
has to accept that she is a vampire and make the best of the situation. Sadwick tries to deny the fate of world destruction. Bobbin
Threadbare ends up unintentionally fulfilling his prophecy. Good Luck. Make Games. See What Happens.

Additional requirements:
• The player character must have some kind of known fate.
• There must be some kind of Oracle (Be creative. It could be the character's mom saying they will never be married).
• No Aliens!

Ending 2/12/2010

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts thirty days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

ddq

I plan to try to attempt to enter this one. I'm actually thinking about basing the game on one of the stories from Machine of Death, or a new story based on that concept. Either way, I could always use help. Give me a ring if you'd like to help me bring back MAGS with a vengeance!

Atelier

A week has passed now, so that leaves just three more for YOU to make an amazing MAGS.

mode7

I got something in the works - can't promise I will finish it till deadline. It's rather ambitious.

Atelier

That's great news mode - fingers crossed you will be able to finish. Is there anybody else out there working on something?

Atelier

About three days left! I'd hate for it to be as disappointing as last time =(

mode and ddq, did anything come from it?

Dualnames

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 27/11/2010 09:18:49
About three days left! I'd hate for it to be as disappointing as last time =(

mode and ddq, did anything come from it?

mode7 is definitely working on something, so relax.  ;) And it also looks immensely great!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Atelier

Phew, that's good news. mode7 is awesome! =D

As there was no winner last month, for MAGS December I'm lacking a theme. So I'll open it up to the forumers to help me out.

The first person to PM me some guidelines will get theirs featured.

You may set up next month's guidelines at your leisure. You may want to set a general theme, or offer a bunch of items that should appear in the game. Maybe think of some actions or functions that need to be included. Bear in mind, it should more or less fit the adventure genre, and obviously, must be kept clean. Please confer with recent MAGS rules, to avoid obvious repetition. Earlier competitions may provide some inspiration if you are stuck.

Guidelines received.

mode7

Don't get too excited though - it is more of a demo than an actual game. It's not even a third of what I had originally intended. But instead of rushing something in three days, I'm going to polish a little, add an extra riddle and maybe even some sound effects. I might have somebody for the soundtrack (someone awesome but it's still a secret), so I might need one or two more days.

The rest of the game will be finished in the following month(s). Unfortunately I have a lot of work lately so there's not that much time for AGS anymore. 

mode7

The game is basically in a releasable state, I'm still asking for extension (maybe 2-3 days) to get rid of bugs add sound effect and give the possibiblity for the music to be finished

Atelier

Quote from: mode7 on Mon 29/11/2010 09:26:35
I'm still asking for extension (maybe 2-3 days)

Will do! Post it whenever you're ready.

mode7

Thanks a lot - gives me some air

Did anyone else submit something?

mode7

Jeez it's late - well finally I'm finished:

Dacey in the Dark - Prelude

It's a game about fate. This chapter deals with the melancholy we cherish towards times long gone. I'm planing to release more chapters.

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vqbb8cjb5drqbji/DaceyintheDarkMAGS.rar

Atelier

Wow! I love games in this style. I'll certainly play this later and tell you what I think.

I hereby proclaim mode7 as winner of MAGS November. Congratulations!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk