Background Blitz GREEN 18/11 - 03/12 2010 WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by Daniel Thomas, Thu 18/11/2010 10:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

Background Blitz

Topic: Green
Anything you would associate with the color green, could be forest, bottle factory, Ninja Turtles hideout. etc etc. Be creative.

Rules: AGS compatible. Feel free to include character-sprites and such, but include a link of the background by it self.

Voting: Starts December 03 unless someone asks for extension.

Posting process images and WIP's are encouraged, but keep it in the same post! :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Bob Bannerman

I thought someone should jump in and get the proverbial ball rolling.

To that end I am including a "In Process" image... as soon as I figure how to revert this into an AGS compatible background I'll knuckle down a bit more, start inking etc (although my colouring skills are pretty crap).

et voila...

HAHAHA - You said "Green" and opened it to interpretation... I'm going to go and drive my Prius carefully and considerately into the canal !!!

link to full size doo-dah...
Code: ags
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9376/scan10001u.jpg

Bob

Sughly

Ey that's pretty cool Bob. There's a bit of rubbish under the Recyclo5000 that looks like purple/green tentacle ;D

Dualnames

I like the whole WIP idea, so count me in.  :D

*SPACE RESERVED*
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Daniel Thomas

Uh-oh, not much time left guys!
If anyone need more time, let me know. :)

Matti

I'd really like to enter this one (along with the sprite jam), but I don't know if I'll be able. I'd like to try something tomorrow.. so I'll tell you then if I'm going to post something or not.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

oraxon

Hi, here's mine! A flying ace, carrying important spy photos, crashes in a vineyard. He meets a pretty village girl...Can he trust her? How will he fix his plane? Should he tell her about the barrage at dawn?

Misj'

I wish I had the time to do this one, but alas...

But I do like the chosen subject, so I created some concepts, sketches, and layout-tests, that I wanted to share (even though I'll never finish them).

(hopefully this AGS photobucket-thing works...)

Ryan Timothy B

For what it's worth Misj, that lower right sketch of that bridge looks fabulous.

I also worked on a quick color sketch earlier this week, but doubt I'll have time to finish it.

Chicky

Lovely entry Oraxon, the colours feel perfect with the loose outlines.

Pinback

I'll join in if there's to be an extension. 24 hours perhaps, unless anyone objects?

Daniel Thomas

Pinback

Quote from: zyndikate on Fri 03/12/2010 16:42:30
NP, go for it! :)

Kewl, thanks Zyndikate! I have a wierd idea...

EDIT) I bailed on my wierd idea and used Oraxons entry for inspiration instead, but used a nautical theme.
I kinda wanted to use a scene from Blackadder as my entry-

Percy: "Could it be m'lord, that I hold here in my mortal hands a nugget of purest green?"

But that would've taken time, and patience- of which I have niether!

Daniel Thomas

Nice one Pinback!

I'll start the voting tonight(~22.00-23.00 GMT) unless someone else asks for more time.

Misj'

Quote from: zyndikate on Sat 04/12/2010 10:50:56I'll start the voting tonight(~22.00-23.00 GMT) unless someone else asks for more time.
Will we have voting-categories? - and if so, is it allowed to vote for certain categories (like eg 'idea', but not 'renderig' or 'usability') for unfinished/work in progress 'entries'?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Pinback on Fri 03/12/2010 18:40:20
I kinda wanted to use a scene from Blackadder as my entry-

Percy: "Could it be m'lord, that I hold here in my mortal hands a nugget of purest green?"

But that would've taken time, and patience- of which I have niether!

I will never forgive you for not doing this.

You are dead to me now.

Daniel Thomas

Let's start voting, Ill keep the voting up for 24hours or so.

Categories to vote on(copy pasted from previous BB):

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest. This also includes the background's in-game functionality (hotspots, walkable areas, etc.)
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

Code: ags

[b]Idea[/b] -
[b]Atmosphere[/b] -
[b]Design[/b] -
[b]Composition[/b] -
[b]Technique[/b] -

DuncanFx

Congrats all who entered - another nice, diverse selection of backgrounds. However, my votes are going to have go to:

Idea - Oraxon
Atmosphere - Pinback
Design - Pinback
Composition - Pinback
Technique - Pinback

I'm determined to enter the next round, as I've just got a taste for background art working on my own game. :)

Misj'

Idea - Possibly against some rules, but I'm going to vote for an unfinished piece for this one: Bob. Why? - I felt it was the most creative interpretation of the theme. 
Atmosphere - Pinback, I really like the atmosphere in Ryan's piece as well, but Pinback's underwater scene has a great desolated feel to it...plus I like the use of green in this one.
Design - Pinback, Oraxon's scene had a lot more elements, but I think that in the case of Pinback the limited number of elements is actually the scene's strong suit. And of course particularly the two main focal points: the plane engine and the distant shipwreck attract the eye in a good way.
Composition - Pinback, I like scenes that have an unusual frame (without feeling forced or empty). I think Pinback's scene has that.
Technique - Pinback, it feels clean.

ps. of course Pinback's scene would of course have been much better had there been little green men in there. The bottom of the ocean at the Bermuda triangle with a crashed flying saucer, who's captain tries to repair the ship with stuff lying around (WWI-airplanes, 16th century merchant vessels...there's got to be lots of stuff to recycle into a spaceship). ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk