Echoes of Terra

Started by Wolfmage, Thu 02/12/2010 20:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfmage

Well, its as done as its going to be for now. I won't rule out revisiting it later, or doing a bit of bug mashing here and there if people find things, but for all intents and purposes the game is done.

Its a short, five-room sci-fi adventure, and my first "completed" game project as I start towards my Game Development degree at SCAD Atlanta. Sadly, thats why I have to move on to other things; next quarter we're doing some heavy Unity-engine development and I have to familiarize myself with that ASAP.

I hope you all find it entertaining! And as I mentioned before in my other threads, thanks very much to the community. You all are awesome; the volume of helpful advice to be gleaned from these forums is fantastic. And AGS itself is really a great engine to work with.

Anyway, on with the show.

You can find and download the game here:
http://www.wolfmage.com/project1.php

david

I would like to play this, but cannot download it because the link is broken  ::)

paolo

Quote from: david on Fri 03/12/2010 12:15:31
I would like to play this, but cannot download it because the link is broken  ::)

The link works for me, but the zip file is corrupt. :(

arj0n

poc301

April Fools!!

Oh wait, it's December :(

Looking forward to checking it out...

-Bill

Wolfmage

Gah! I squashed some bugs last night and rezipped/reuploaded the file and it looks like it was corrupted. I've uploaded a working zip just now. Sorry about that  :P

arj0n

Yes, working zip now, will check the game later

jkohen

Very interesting so far, I really like the backdrop to the story.

However, I got version 1.01 of the game. I'm stuck at some point, but it looks like a bug (or a missing hint):
Spoiler

I'm at the shootout with the guy in the trenchcoat after the room with the scientist and the force field. I've shot the gas barrel with the penetrating ammo, and the scientist tells me to shoot him quickly while his distracted. No matter what I try, he always avoids the shot and I'm told to distract him...
[close]

Wolfmage

Hmmm, I don't think thats a bug; theres two ways past that; one is time-sensitive so you can't do it anymore, the other you can still do.

I mean, there >might< be a bug but I can't reproduce it. Here's what to do if you don't ming spoilers for a single puzzle:

Spoiler

If you shoot the barrel you have a very short time to hit the guy. You might want to reload and try it from an earlier save. But you can also give your pistol to Dr. Landri (she says something about "I don't have a weapon") at which point she'll start trying to shoot the guy and distract him. You can then take him out with the rifle from the mercs.
[close]

If you do try let me know how it goes, if only to be sure weather its a bug or not.

jkohen

Quote from: Wolfmage on Sat 04/12/2010 14:48:23
Hmmm, I don't think thats a bug; theres two ways past that; one is time-sensitive so you can't do it anymore, the other you can still do.

I mean, there >might< be a bug but I can't reproduce it. Here's what to do if you don't ming spoilers for a single puzzle:

Spoiler

If you shoot the barrel you have a very short time to hit the guy. You might want to reload and try it from an earlier save. But you can also give your pistol to Dr. Landri (she says something about "I don't have a weapon") at which point she'll start trying to shoot the guy and distract him. You can then take him out with the rifle from the mercs.
[close]

If you do try let me know how it goes, if only to be sure weather its a bug or not.

I have tried the first option many times at different game speeds. I don't think I could click faster, and the mouse is already almost over the guy, so I'm definitely not wasting much time.

I'll try the other approach, thanks.

Wolfmage

Huh. Ok. I can't seem to replicate that.

Spoiler

When you shoot the barrel, the cloud of gas appears above it and the guy covers his face, and you can't click on him? Or do those things not happen?
[close]

jkohen

Quote from: Wolfmage on Sat 04/12/2010 15:04:57

Spoiler

When you shoot the barrel, the cloud of gas appears above it and the guy covers his face, and you can't click on him? Or do those things not happen?
[close]

Definitely a bug, then:
Spoiler

The cloud of gas never appears and the guy doesn't cover his face, but the game shows a text description of that.
[close]

Tabata

Yeah â€" I escaped!  ;D

A very strong story with nice ideas for the gameplay. Well done!

Hopefully I will see the Atalan Colony and will get some answeres on the next run?

@ jkohen: I had same probs.
Spoiler
shooting the barrel was only possible once for me, but shooting together with "my partner" did it then.
[close]

jkohen

Quote from: Wolfmage on Sat 04/12/2010 15:04:57

Spoiler

[close]

Maybe this helps:
Spoiler
I reloaded a previous game and this time it worked. What I did differently the first time was that I entered the shootout, and then I had to leave to pick up the penetration ammo and come back. Maybe that triggered the bug.
[close]

Wolfmage

Ok, that gives me something to look for at least. Thanks, jkohen.

Glad you enjoyed it, Tabata :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk