Background Blitz! The Oubliette (08/12 - 24/12) WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by Pinback, Tue 07/12/2010 15:44:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinback

BACKGROUND BLITZ!

Topic: The Oubliette. However, it does not have to be an underground medieval dungeon.
I will accept any confined, forgotten, little room. For instance, it could be grimy and shallow Orcish dirt pantry. Perhaps an ancient wheat silo filled with cobwebs and owl pellets.    
The only visual requirement is that the sole entrance to your room must be an opening in the ceiling.
Small-medium size rooms are recommended for a true Oubliette vibe.

Rules: AGS compatible is a must. A solitary opening/entrance in the ceiling is mandatory.

Voting: Voting will commence on December 22nd.

You didn't really think I'd start an X-Mas theme Blitz did you? :D

DuncanFx

Not sure if this technically counts as an Oubliette, but I've been determined to enter this Blitz and I'm having a rather fun time coming up with daft ideas for it. ;D And yes, that is supposed to be a golf ball - trying to create the dimpled-effect a real golf ball has produced some very ugly results, so I decided against them in the end. :-\

x3 x1

Pinback

Nice entry DuncanFX, I like your imaginitive use of the guidelines and there's some good use of perspective in your entry too with the flag pole. Having a puzzle situation in the BG is definitely bonus point materiel, in my book at least.

Personally I'd yank out the worm- tie it to the golf tee, and use that as a grappling apparatus.

Well played!

Daniel Thomas

Old Scruff's Butchery
"It sounded like a good idea.." - Scruff after several weeks in business without any visiting customer.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

tzachs

Sughly

Holy crap, are you kidding me zyndikate!? How long did that pic take you exactly...?

Tabata

:o
WOOOOOW!
Did you steal that from an not released commercial game?
WOOOOOW!
Can't get enough of it!
WOOOOOW!
I'm going to faint!
WOOOOOW!
... (if you watch this pig â€" I'm nearly a lookalike right now) ...
WOOOOOW!
.. need searching for an oxygen tent now ...
WOOOOOW!
:o

Sslaxx

Zyndikate, is there any chance of updating the Journey of Iesir thread with this pic? And the one from the other background blitz if not done already?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pinback

Beautiful entry Zyndikate, although I think you may have skimmed over the competition requirements a little too quickly;

Quote from: Pinback on Tue 07/12/2010 15:44:46
...the sole entrance to your room must be an opening in the ceiling.

The door to the right of your background is one entrance too many I'm afraid. 
The restrictions of this competition were imposed on everyone- and it wont be fair to those who keep to the rules if you don't suffer some kind of penalty. I will be asking voters to keep this in mind when casting thier votes.   

I really hate to write this because your entry is so cool!

Galen

Well Luminous now has company as "That guy".

Daniel Thomas

Thanks all! :)

@Pinback fixed in the first post.
@Sughly around 15-20hours or so.
@Sslax This background isn't for JOI, only an BG blitz entry. But we should have an update soonish.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Pinback

Color me impressed! Well done Zyndikate- that's right on the money now!

Sughly

That's really impressive zyndikate. I couldn't draw a BG a quarter of that quality in twice that time! Makes me want to be a better illustrator though, so for that extra motivation I really truly thank you! And sorry to everyone else, I don't mean to continue making this an 'I love zyndikate' thread, just wanted to make that my last point on it ;D

Derrick Freeland

Man, I love these competitions.  I think this is one of the best yet.

On this note,
my contribution:

This might be stretching the definition of 'Oubliette' a bit, but I couldn't resist.

Pinback

Ooh hella nice Derrick! A very good interpretation of the guidelines.

Dualnames

I didn't know really where to say this, but I wanted to do somewhere legit and where people would actually see it. I'd terribly be interested to join a background art workshop competition, like the one that loominous did a year or so ago. Is anyone also interested? I'm not really the best host for this, so I think Loominous would be really great to be the host for this. Is anyone interested as much as I am?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Misj'

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 18/12/2010 11:35:11I didn't know really where to say this, but I wanted to do somewhere legit and where people would actually see it. I'd terribly be interested to join a background art workshop competition, like the one that loominous did a year or so ago. Is anyone also interested?
Has been discussed here (assuming you're talking about the Workshop Edition from two years ago)...who knows, it might happen. I'm up for it if I have the time.

On a sidenote: I'm working on something...hope I'll be able to show something for it.

theo

mmhmm zyndikate that warm light is so smooth I wanna lick it.  :o

loominous

I got an entry half finished, but will be knee deep in work for the next few days, so I hope the deadline could be extended a day or so.

Re: workshop

Zyndikate and I talked about it some week ago, and we thought around mid January would be a good time for a new workshop.

We're hoping to get people to contribute mini tutorials about stuff they think is important (hopefully in addition to participation), so if you have something cooking, or got some idea for a tiny to large tutorial, all would be welcome.
Looking for a writer

Pinback

Quote from: loominous on Sun 19/12/2010 23:14:46
I got an entry half finished, but will be knee deep in work for the next few days, so I hope the deadline could be extended a day or so.

Re: workshop

Zyndikate and I talked about it some week ago, and we thought around mid January would be a good time for a new workshop.

We're hoping to get people to contribute mini tutorials about stuff they think is important (hopefully in addition to participation), so if you have something cooking, or got some idea for a tiny to large tutorial, all would be welcome.

Deadline is now extended by 2 days. New deadline is 24th December!

Workshop sounds hella cool! I'd be happy to contribute a mini-tutorial, not that I have any idea what I'm doing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk