~airwave~ - I Fought the Law, and the Law One

Started by ThreeOhFour, Tue 15/02/2011 19:58:20

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

Elodie Major has been running a little indie radio station called Airwave Radio with her friend Zak for 5 years now, and they've manage to win a strong following amongst the people of the small town of Wave.

Recently, however, they've found themselves under pressure from mainstream record labels to play their music, and have resisted quite forcefully, but they haven't seen an end to this attempted interference just yet...

This is the first part in the ~airwave~ series of games.

As usual, I have a ton of people to thank:

Sebastian, David and Miranda, who made my strange little dream of having a full radio show in the game come true - and so much better than I expected it to be. When I envisioned doing a radio show for a game, I never thought it'd be anywhere *near* as good as this, and I am totally awestruck that I'm allowed to have such a cool thing in one of my games.

Sebastian once again, for putting up with my craziness and mood swings, for putting together and hosting a radio show despite being super busy with everything else, and for his input in the design and writing departments which was most valuable.

Calin Leaftummy for putting together sounds, testing, listening to me moan about basically everything and cuddles.

Ryan Timothy and Arj0n, for their bug finding efforts once again - I'm sure they're sick of me by now :P

Chris Jones once again, for his lovely engine.

And, of course, everyone who I annoyed whilst making this game, which was no doubt a whole bunch of you. Sorry  ;D

You can get the game here!

Grim

Oh! And I really fancied playing a proper adventure game today! Sometimes wishes just come true.... [downloading]

[EDIT] Hey, I'm first one to post! I have no doubt this will be a long thread... ;)

Dualnames

Second. Also great subtitle. GREAT REFERENCE TO A GREAT SONG.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

Fantastic game again.... as usual.

Two things I noticed (I can start a list with all the great things I see and hear like voice acting, characters, music tracks, cursors, backgrounds, witty dialogs etc) that weren't quite right...

1: When you stop the radio at any spot, the track really stops... and continues where you stopped. When I turn the radio off at home, I miss half the show..  ;D
2: I found a typo (sorry) but won't bother you with it, unless you really want.
Spoiler
It's recommended, not reccommended)
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Zenger

Downloaaaaading  ;D

Thanks a lot ;D, I can hardly wait  ;D ;D

arj0n

xenogia

Downloading it now, can't wait to see the character based on me :P

theo

I just blasted through this thing (In the nude, actually. Come to think of it, I'm very cold, I should put clothing on my body.) and I gotta say, holy mother of monkeys what a wonderful setting you guys have put together. I was sucked in 100%.

Congratulations on the first release in what will clearly become an absolutely awesome series of games!  :o

ThreeOhFour

Grim: Hope it satisfies some of the adventure lust in you  :=

Dual: Rock the Casbah bro  :D

Leon: Thanks for the nice comments! As for the two issues - with the radio, I thought about it for ages but decided this would be the best way to go about turning it off, as for the other, I'm always interested in getting rid of typos.

Indie:  ;D

Zenger: Hope you enjoy!

Arj0n: Thanks man, and thanks again for all your testing efforts! The game would be a lot buggier without your input!

Xenogia: Please don't get into a musical debate with your virtual self (besides you're less of a goth than I made you in the game, but I just had to stereotype it up a little  :D)

Theo: Thanks bro! I really loved working in the world and filling it up with little details, so it's awesome to hear it paid off. I really pushed myself with these backgrounds, and am pushing even harder for the second part! (also, I do most AGS related things with little clothing on  8))

Ilyich

Just finished it, and it was great! The artwork is better than ever, late-night radio show and overall night ambience works wonderfully (escpecially since it's 4:30 AM here right now). All the details about the splendid game world are very welcome, and The Clash reference in the title made me smile.

The story itself is really sweet and oozes with indie kindness and warmth. The characters are also sweet, cool and very contemporary, which is always a plus in my book.

All the songs were fun to listen to and of surprisingly high quality, and they lasted me exactly through the whole game. Although I think it could've been even cooler if the songs were done by a larger variety of people, through some sort of contest or something like that.

I'm sure the episodic format will suit you perfectly, and we'll get a great adventure out of it. Best of luck with part 2 and thanks for such a lovely game!

Also, those tilde-thingies, that I assume represent airwaves, are quite cool.

ThreeOhFour

Thanks for the great feedback, Ilyich.

With regards to the songs being done by a bigger variety of people, I see your point here, but I really love all the songs and wouldn't want it any other way, really! I feel they really manage to capture the essence of a broad range of modern music styles whilst still managing to poke a bit of fun at popular music in general.

Ponch

Very nice little game. Great artwork (as usual) and very immersive. This world felt very "lived in" and yet still somewhat alien. Reminded me just a bit of the world of Full Throttle for some reason.

All in all, nicely done. Looking forward to the next one.

- Ponch
_______
(Also, don't most of us do all things AGS related while naked? Hell, I wear nothing but sunglasses when working on Barn Runner. And I always take off my pants before logging into the forums.)

xenogia

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 16/02/2011 03:14:11
Very nice little game. Great artwork (as usual) and very immersive. This world felt very "lived in" and yet still somewhat alien. Reminded me just a bit of the world of Full Throttle for some reason.

All in all, nicely done. Looking forward to the next one.

- Ponch
_______
(Also, don't most of us do all things AGS related while naked? Hell, I wear nothing but sunglasses when working on Barn Runner. And I always take off my pants before logging into the forums.)

I try to look at the forum naked and upside down  hanging from the rafters of the roof my house.  I need to dangle it freeeee.

ThreeOhFour

Ponch: Thanks! It was pretty important to us to make the world feel as full and alive as possible, so it's awesome to hear that this is noticeable. Full Throttle was a pretty big influence on the game's style - heck, the giant tower with a tank at the top is a direct homage to the fuel tower in FT :).

Xenogia: I know. I visited you at your house, remember. The memories keep me awake at night!  :o

Dualnames

Games to go: 292291!!

YAY! I've got to say the music is awesome!!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ThreeOhFour

I have to agree, it is awesome, and I've been listening to it for a few weeks now  :D

Fitz

And there I was, thinking that there is NOTHING that can get between me and Haruki Murakami's "1Q84, volume 2" tonight! ::)

Downloading the game as we speak :D Will comment later!

NemelChelovek

Been ages since I've had a new 304 game to enjoy...was starting to go into withdrawals!

One minor quibble is that a character mentions offhand that he catches rainwater because he doesn't want to distill it (I forget exactly what he said, played it before bed last night). Someone should tell him that rainwater is essentially distilled already...

selmiak

cool, playing and swinging along right now and  ;D

there is one thing I noticed though, the antenna tower in the first playable screen has a hotspot on top that doesn't have a name.... sooo back to listeni...playing :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk