Background Blitz - Medical Facility (And the winner is...)

Started by Mad, Thu 24/03/2011 10:20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

mode7

WHAM

Yeah... I had a BG in mindbut Im stuck in an actual hospital! So much reference material wasted by bad timing.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mad

Okay guys and gals, let's start the voting!

Since Ilyich put it so well and eloquently, I just nicked his description of the categories:

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere:  Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design:  How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition:  How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality:  How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

Code: ags
[b]Idea[/b] -
[b]Atmosphere[/b] -
[b]Design[/b] -
[b]Composition[/b] -
[b]Functionality[/b] -
[b]Technique[/b] - 

Vukul

Idea - Snath3000 (I found this cryptozoologist's room quite interesting - because it's a rare thing to meet in an adventure game)
Atmosphere - oraxon (The light in the centre and the angle of view just bought me - something sinister is going on there)
Design - oraxon (Just like the work on the details and all those things like sink, radiator etc.)
Composition - oraxon (The composition is just great - clear focal point of the background in the middle, and everything you'll need is also clearly seen)
Functionality - Snath3000 (Because it's rather simple, it could already go into a game)
Technique - oraxon (As it has already been mentioned above - just like the colours and lines)

Pinback

Idea - Snath3000 - Man that's wierd, I love it!
Atmosphere - nihilyst - Reminds me of like, Kyrandia and The Prisoner at the same time, awesome.
Design - Oraxon - Hella cool.
Composition - Oraxon - Yeah, this just works for me I guess.
Functionality - Vukul - I can see the puzzles already, very good. Nice composition too - tough choice between you and Oraxon for this one.
Technique - nihilyst - Solid as always.

Yeah damn would've loved to have joined this comp! I gots robots to draw though.

Ilyich

Idea - Vukul - I don't remember many field hospitals in adventure games, and that's a shame - it's a very emotionally stirring place, and as such - a good idea for a background. Also, I like MASH. :)
Atmosphere - nihilyst - very moody piece.
Design - oraxon - because it's an awesome style.
Composition - oraxon - very tight composition here, simply nothing to complain about.
Functionality - Vukul - maybe it's because of the mockup, but it really works as an in-game background already.
Technique - oraxon - great job with perspective and details.

oraxon

Hope you feel better soon, WHAM.
Idea - Snath3000 - this could lead to a whole franchise of alien doctor games.
Atmosphere - Vukul - inspires desperate emotions for the characters, including maybe romance
Design - Snath3000 - appreciated all the little jokes in there, plus that awesome closeup.
Composition - Vukul - everything pointing toward the front lines makes this seem like not such a safe place.
Functionality - Vukul - room for many NPCs, and the large roof area is a clear space for inventory items like the diary.
Technique - Vukul
I also like nihilyst's because I would rather be there with the trees than in WWI or with aliens.

nihilyst

Idea - Vukul
Atmosphere - oraxon
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - Snath3000
Technique - oraxon

Mad

Idea - Snath3000
Atmosphere - nihilyst
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - Vukul
Technique - oraxon

I'll close this around 11:00 CET, so we can have a new one soonish...

So, let's get some more votes in!

Anian

Idea - Snath
Atmosphere - oraxon
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - Vukul
Technique - oraxon

nihil, I liked the the style, but kinda seemed unfinished, sorry.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

ddq

Idea - Vukul
Atmosphere - Oraxon
Design - nihilyst
Composition - Oraxon
Functionality - Oraxon
Technique - Oraxon

Nice jobs, all.

Mad

And the winner is...

oraxon - 24votes

Vukul - 11 votes

Snath3000 - 8 votes

nihilyst - 5 votes

Congrats oraxon, a very deserved win and thanks to everbody, that participated and voted!

ps: please excuse the shoddy trophies, am kind of in a hurry!

Snath3000

Agh, damn. Was so busy working the last couple of days I didn't get a chance to vote. Sorry...

But bronze! Awesome! That gold is in sight now! Time for me to bring my A game. When's the next competition?

oraxon

A great honor, thanks everyone!
And thank you to the other competitors, it was a very entertaining few weeks.
I'll start the next Blitz very soon. I was thinking "Greek" - could be a restaurant, a vacation spot, something ancient...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk