Problem making an adventure like Larry1 or Trilbys Notes

Started by Mihailo, Fri 29/07/2011 19:44:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihailo

Hello guys,

Excuse the stupidity of the question, but dunno where to turn.

I'm getting frustrated, read bunch of tutorials, tried it on my own, but cannot even start doing this:

Here's what I want - simple game like Leisure Suit Larry 1 or Trilby's Notes, where the character would be moved by cursor keys (arrows), and you'd have to type in what to do. I don't want mouse to have anything to do with it.

If I start AGS with the 'default game' I can make something from tutorials, room and stuff that's ok, but I don't wanna have the mouse on the screen and the GUI on the top.

If I start with the blank game, cannot even make a character move around the blank screen, cause bunch of things are missing.

Can someone please point me to the direction of some tutorial which would explain me how to start from blank room, or at least how to disable mouse and GUI on the top of the 'default game'.

I'm not so dumb as it sounds, used comp all of my life, did some programming too, but this thing is quite complicated and I'm getting nervous after couple of days trying and failing.

Thanx, Miky...

NickyNyce

This may not be the answer to your main goal, but it should point you in the right direction

Go to search in the forums where you log in, type in..... use arrow keys.....you will see a bunch of stuff on using the arrow keys and how to go about it....at least you can start there.  

Here's a link to an old post that might help you

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37026.msg486326#msg486326

Mihailo

Khris

To turn off the mouse, either change the cursor image to 0 or use "mouse.Visible = false;" in game_start (a function in Global.asc).

Then disable mouse_clicks by putting "return;" at the top of on_mouse_click (also in Global.asc).

To get rid of the GUIs, simply delete them in the editor. You can also change their visibility to "Normal, off at game start".

Now I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but AGS has a keyboard control module. There should be a line in game_start that sets it up.

To get a GUI to type text commands into, use a GUI with a textfield.
In on_key_press, turn on the GUI and put the typed character in the textfield. Say the GUI is called gInput and the input textbox is called tbInout:

Code: ags
  // top of on_key_press

if (k >= eKeySpace && k <= eKeyZ+32) {
    tbInput.Text = String.Format("%c", k);
    gInput.Visible = true;
    return;
  }

If you're editing the GUI and double-click the textbox, AGS will create and link the function that's called if you hit enter.
In there, turn off the GUI (gInput.Visible = false;) and process the command using AGS' Parser commands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk