[MAGS] Concurrence

Started by mode7, Sat 07/05/2011 13:51:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Three-Headed Monkey

I just downloaded the demo from the AGS games page. So far I only had a quick glimpse at it (I'm looking forward to playing it though once I find a little time) but what I've seen was amazing, cool idea, awesome design, graphics and cutscenes! For the time being, just a quick bug report:

- In the manual under the heading "Loading and Saving" there's a typo:
"it will ask you, if you want to continue grom that point"

- If you leave the first screen and then try to enter it again, the screen remains black and there's also a chance a save stat message pops up, followed by the question if you want to quit. If you save and quit and then continue from the last save stat, you get the black screen again. IIRC even holding the key for movement to the right didn't get me out of that predicament so I had to quit and restart.

Anyway, thanks for creating and sharing Concurrence, and btw, I liked Abduction, too!  :)

Digital Mosaic Games

beautiful game! I love another world and flashback! I think Eric Chahi would be very proud. And I like Thom Yorkes Music. ;) Really well programmed. Respect. Cinematic platformers are not easy to create. Unfortunately when I got to the cave after I used my glass on the roots it appeared an error! :o

mode7

Do you mean the game crashed? What kind of error do you still remember?

Digital Mosaic Games

Quote from: mode7 on Tue 17/05/2011 20:48:59
Do you mean the game crashed? What kind of error do you still remember?
I think it was a typical ags-programming error. I can't remember the whole error message. I could just remember the formulation which seem to be from the ags-engine. Sorry I can't be more help. :-\

deltamatrix

Whoa dude. looks good. How did you make those graphics though? Thats what I wanna know, including any technical details.

I'm stuck though. Is it possible to do a directional jump from standing still? I can't seem to do it.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

TheJBurger

Really great job so far. I like how you're presenting the story, especially with the mystery character and the discovering of plot elements (meteorite impact!) by the player as opposed to cut-scenes.

I wish there was an in-game tutorial though. I kept pressing RIGHT and UP at the same time, thinking that was the correct way to horizontally jump, which led to a lot of unnecessary dying and frustration.

But good job! I look forward to seeing where you take it from here.

mode7

Thanks JBurger.
The finished version will feature a ingame tutorial. In fact the first screens where already laid out for this purpose. It was just scrapped (like so much else) due to the close deadline.

Erenoth02

Quote from: NEON-GAMES on Tue 17/05/2011 20:48:06
beautiful game! I love another world and flashback! I think Eric Chahi would be very proud. And I like Thom Yorkes Music. ;) Really well programmed. Respect. Cinematic platformers are not easy to create. Unfortunately when I got to the cave after I used my glass on the roots it appeared an error! :o

Im getting the error too

in "room5.asc", line 10

Error: Error running function 'room_AfterFadeIn':
Error:Null pointer refrenced

Malygris

I noticed after playing around with the demo that it's possible to bypass the door beside the console by simply crouching and rolling through it. The door remains closed but you're able to pass it regardless. I assume this is not supposed to happen.

And this really is a fantastic looking demo. I'm a big fan of Another World and the vibe is really there. I'm hoping that the final release will sort of "go its own way" a little more, but at this point I really like what I see. Great work!

EdLoen

Great atmosphere, got stuck in the door-closing room bug, but working my way to back there. 

One thing though that I'm finding of slight annoyance is that I seem to be falling off the edges even though I'm roughly ( using the player charatcer as scale) a sprite-witdth  away from the edge presented.  I'm not sure if this is because of the edge-grabbing mechanic or not, but it does pull some fun having do do the jumps when you keep falling off the edge before you get to the visual representation of it.

It hasn't detoured me none cause the atmosphere is so great I just want to fight on and see all that this planet has to offer. But figured I'd point it out since you asked =P.

CaptainD

Sorry I'm late to the party, only just played this.  I'm really impressed by the whole style of it, of course the beautiful graphics and animation, but the whole thing was great.  Can't wait for the full game to come out!

Cogliostro

Quote from: deltamatrix on Sat 21/05/2011 20:29:43
Whoa dude. looks good. How did you make those graphics though? Thats what I wanna know, including any technical details.

I'm stuck though. Is it possible to do a directional jump from standing still? I can't seem to do it.

Please share the details! 

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Erenoth02

???Any progress on the error?...  :'( I have really been wanting to complete this game however I constantly get that same error...

mode7

I'm really sorry. Maybe I can make a quick fix

doctorfargo

This game looks real promising!  ;D

mode7

Little update:
I was able to fix the room 5 null pointer error. It has something to do with the sound channel.
However the infamous doorbug remains unfixed. I have no Idea why the door doesn't reset. It'll need more time to figure it out, time which I don't have. So I'm sorry but this won't be fixed until the final release by end of the year.

arj0n

Quote from: mode7 on Mon 01/08/2011 11:01:31
So I'm sorry but this won't be fixed until the final release by end of the year.
No problem at all as long as you bring us a final version ;)

ViktorijaValentina

Quote from: Ouxxey_games on Wed 11/05/2011 17:21:30
Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World

YEEEEEES. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the screens. I swear, as soon as my internet goes back up to it's normal speed, I am SO downloading this. It just looks so cool.

Until then, I'm going to sit in front of the screen, fidgeting my thumbs, and hoping that I won't fall victim to any of the bugs mentioned.  :)
... And that is how I lost my medical license.

ViktorijaValentina

I played the game, and I LOVE IT. Unfortunatly, I couldn't get very far, as the controls were really starting to bother me as I was playing. So to be fair, I'll started off with the things I didn't like, then make up for it with the things I loved. :)

I think using the arrow keys might be a little inconvinent, so I was wondering if it could be possible that you include a "W,A,S,D" keys option? The arrows make timing runs more difficult, and trying to run with the "right-shift" (Since it's much easier to use with arrow keys) is very annoying, especially when you die as often as I do, and have to continuesly move your hand to press the space button. It's also the control more gamers are used to using.

Another SMALL (very, very small) pet peeve of mine whilst I was playing this game was that for a I was a bit lost whilst looking for the inventory. But then I again, like I said, it was only a small problem, which I don't really mind. I'm just one of those gals that runs into a game without reading a manual.  :P Maybe including a small text tip after picking up the glass shard at the very start of the game? But honestly, I don't think it's that much of a big deal.

Now to the good:
I loved the game environment, and the graphics in general are wonderfully made. Definately reminds me of Another World, but in a good way-- Since I haven't seen anything like it in a long time.
The atmosphere is PERFECT and I love the sound and music.
The game overall is quite relaxing...  :=
... And that is how I lost my medical license.

mode7

Thanks for the nice feedback Viktorija,
I agree that the controls are frustrating. Once I get back to work on the game I will either have to improve the step-controls or dump them all together in favour of a more responsive control system (this would make the animations less smoot and realisitc though)

Actually I'd like to hear some feedback on this. Thats something I've been thinking a lot. Maybe someone knows a (2d)game which has smooth, realistic animations yet responsive controls.

For the sounds and music I can't stress enough how much credit goes to ptp88 for making this incredible atmosphere possible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk