OROW: Choose your own DATE.

Started by Dualnames, Tue 17/05/2011 15:15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Bulbapuck has passed me the torch, and well, I think it'd be nice if we could decide a date. Before Mittens. I'm thinking Mid July.

INFORMATION ABOUT OROW

The OROW competition is a very simple competition were you make a game that is one room big in just one week. This competition has in the past proven what the members of this community are capable of, and it will be interesting to see what comes of this.
(Some of this post is copy-pasted from another thread.)

Rules:
   -Entries must have only one playable room/location
   -Entries must be adventure games
   -Entries may use content from any source, including pre-made.
   -Entries may have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside the main room.
   -Entries will be submitted anonymously, more on that below.

Anonymous submission
An important aspect in this competition is the anonymity. This means that you cannot share any information about your entry. Nor can your game contain your name. This is because the game should be voted on by it's own merits.

You submit the game by sending me a link via PM. I will then upload it to another site. (Probably ShutUpload)

The winner will be decided by public vote once the competition ends. There will be 5 categories: graphics, music/sound, scripting, writing/concept, puzzles. Each category will be scored out of 5. Voters will be expected to have played, and to vote on, at least half of all games entered. However, of course, playing them all is preferable.

This competition will start on DATE REQUIRED. You should not start making your game until then. Even if you think you have no chance of winning, you're encouraged to enter - it's as much a forum activity as a contest.

Absolutely no information about your game should be shared with anyone until the competition and voting has ended. Please reply to this post if you intend to take part, but don't give any idea of what your game will be about.

Best of luck, and have fun.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=44094.0
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote: Entries must have only one playable room/location

I was always under the impression that this was a loose rule. That the goal is to make a one playable room game, but you could make as many as you wanted just as long as it's made within that week.

Sam.

I would assume that a game wouldn't get disqualified for going over one room, but the whole point of the competition is to set a reasonable boundary to encourage participation. One room is achievable, and can be a challenge to do well. Just "Make a Game in a week" would get far fewer entries.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

LimpingFish

The One Room portion of OROW was always flexible, to a degree, but making it compulsory is also fine.

It also stops the stupidly talented bastards among us making the rest of us look bad. >:(
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Mati256

So is it possible to use sprites from RON or other sources? Because I really suck at making sprites.
Also, is there a theme that would be announced when the competition starts or no?
If I don't find a job till July then I will have two weeks of recess from June 27 to July 9.
My Blog! (En Español)

Radiant

I would love to choose a date, but there's a distinct lack of female AGS'ers these days  ;D

LimpingFish

Quote from: Mati256 on Tue 17/05/2011 19:39:30
Also, is there a theme that would be announced when the competition starts or no?

OROW is too street for themes!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Baron

I've always liked the idea of OROW, but my participation depends entirely on the timing.

Dualnames

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 17/05/2011 17:51:00
The One Room portion of OROW was always flexible, to a degree, but making it compulsory is also fine.

It also stops the stupidly talented bastards among us making the rest of us look bad. >:(

AHAHAHAHA :D

How about we do this 11-18 July? Is everyone okay with that?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Bulbapuck

Well, personally I´m occupied the 15th-27th of July. But if I´m allowed to start a bit early it works for me :)

m0ds

I'd be interested to participate, 3rd to the 10th of July would be good for me, something to look forward to at the start of the month :)

TheJBurger

I'd love to join in! 3-10 July would probably be better for me, but if not, I'll just choose another arbitrary week and try to make a game.

Zirind

I'll end my forum lurking and begin my posting here I suppose :p

I'm sure I have no chance against anyone, but hey, its all for fun. I'll give it a go. Any time soon is good with me.

Ishmael

I'll be pretty much busy up to the 17th of july, so before that is a no-go.

Or I could always conjure up another nine hours one room mess.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Cuiki

Ok, before everyone completely forgets about this thread.. :)
Is there any news about the dates?
If I can have a say, too, I'd prefer the competition to take place either towards the end of July or anytime August.
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Dualnames

Everyone seems to like either setting this on the beginning of July or August. I'm gonna go with August for now, though I'd like to hear thoughts on that.

MiGo

Quote from: DeadHandnames on Sun 12/06/2011 22:12:13
Everyone seems to like either setting this on the beginning of July or August. I'm gonna go with August for now, though I'd like to hear thoughts on that.

PERFECTO! This looks like fun! August is a good date for myself, for uh... personal reasons. D8

However! It might be the sugar talking, but as of now, I'm totally going to be in! God only knows what shall come of this.

But that's half the fun!

m0ds

I'd be happy to try in August. Doesn't necessarily mean "complete" though :p

Dualnames

So FIRST OF AUGUST IS A GOOD TIME?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk