The Hamresanden Chronicles II: The Black Prism

Started by barefoot, Wed 18/05/2011 12:16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

barefoot

The Hamresanden Chronicles II: The Black Prism

This is the second instalment of the series (1st instalment cancelled for re-working)

The backgrounds are mainly grey scale with hints of colours here and there.

You are Magrid, a Wizard to the royal court and Asgrim's Nemesis.

Asgrim is an evil red wizard intent on ruling the earth through blood, murder and tyranny.

He has returned to earth to regain control after his defeat last time. This time he has found a Black Prism, capable of much power.

"Someone or something made you come to this spot tonight. You had a very strange premonition. It's as if your mind had been entered."

Many villages have been burnt to the ground and folk killed in Asgrim's intent to rule over all lands.

He has told you to meet him in his castle on the island of Varga to determine the earth's future!

Collect items to make magic and sorcery along the way such as Invisibility, Shrinking, Levitation, Morphing... Mix items for effective magic spells.

Can you stop him before time runs out and the moon's rays pass through the Black Prism and make him a supreme immortal?

16 bit colour @ 320 x 240

Download:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1419

I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Gilbert

Khris

Played this and got stuck, it's much more polished than your previous games, congrats!
There are still typos and you left debug mode on, I'm also wondering what you used for speech because it's aligned to the left and not centered at the character's feet.

But, like I said, this shows definite improvement.

(You might wanna change the width param to 640 for these screenshots, btw)

barefoot

Trust you to spot that Iceboty..

yes, 16 bit colour

:P

barefoot

Hi Khris... I uploaded V3 earlier (new mouse and button images. )

QuotePlayed this and got stuck

Do you mean as in: 'don't know what to do next?'

Not sure about the typo's as some words can be spelt more that one way, its a subject for debate.

I generally prefer left aligned text then the default center. The font I used messes with caps/lowercases as one can see.

Debug mode on... is it wise to have it off before uploading?

Change to 640 for screen shots?.. yes I agree... future reference.

I also decided to go from 640 to 320 for this game.

This game, as well as previous ones, have been learning curves.

Thanks of course for the help given from people such as yourself.

It has been tested by 2 people (i'm still waiting for last report to come in)...

Thank you for your comments Khris and I am aiming to improve and script better in my next game... fewer scenes with more intensity and better cryptic puzzles and stuff..

I am also using my tablet to draw better and cleaner sprites/animations.

cheers   :=

barefoot

Matti

Quote from: barefoot on Wed 18/05/2011 15:04:15
Debug mode on... is it wise to have it off before uploading?

It doesn't make any sense to leave it on. The debug mode is a tool for the creator to debug the game, so it's nothing the player should use.

So yes, it is wise.

barefoot

Cheers Matti

I will note that.. (as Khris pointed out)

Constructive comment reviews welcomed.

:=

barefoot

Khris

Typos:
throught (Title screen)
the skies colors (Intro, sky's)
responcible (Intro)
carefull(2nd room)
perpare(3rd room)
"passed" instead of "past" throughout the game
etc.
I don't think those fall under "can be spelled (not spelt) more than one way" :=

640:
I was talking about the screenshots here in this thread; the images are 320 wide so you should resize them to 640, not 600.

barefoot

Hi Khris

I've just done the typo's you mentioned.

As far as I'm aware: passed is to 'get by' and past is era.. anyhow.. i will check with meanings for future reference.

Anyhow, cheers

barefoot

Khris

Afaik, it's "he passed the web" & "he went past the web". The former is the past tense of "to pass sth.", the latter is a pronoun(?) used to describe where something is or what somebody does relating to a time or place.
In your game, after interacting with the web, it's (edit: it says) "how am I going to get passed?" (edit: which is wrong :))

Kweepa

No, it's definitely "how am I going to get past?"
It's an idiom, so normal rules of English don't apply.
[EDIT] I think I misread your comment, Khris. If so, sorry about that.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Hudders

Quote from: Kweepa on Wed 18/05/2011 20:56:52
It's an idiom, so normal rules of English don't apply.

It isn't an idiom and it is normal English.

FWIW "spelled" and "spelt" are both acceptable depending on the continent you happen to be standing on.

Kweepa

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/get+past
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom
You're not actually "getting" anything, so that makes it, in my opinion, idiomatic. Admittedly it's a grey area.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Hudders

Quote from: Kweepa on Thu 19/05/2011 00:30:03
You're not actually "getting" anything, so that makes it, in my opinion, idiomatic.

Hrm. I see what you mean.  :-\

CaptainD

Anyway... back to talking about the actual game rather than the idiosyncrasies of the English language, huh?  (Incidentally I did point this out in testing but as already mentioned, it's a bit of a grey area and we all know what is meant by it, so hopefully not too big a deal  ;D).

I think this is a giant leap forward in Barefoot's game making - I really enjoyed testing it (even if the newt puzzle still doesn't make sense to me...  :P) - it's perhaps a little more straightforward than a lot of the classic games we know and love, but I felt it had pretty good atmosphere throughout.

Hudders

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 19/05/2011 10:39:52
Incidentally I did point this out in testing but as already mentioned, it's a bit of a grey area and we all know what is meant by it, so hopefully not too big a deal

Last word on this: it's not a grey area, the word should definitely be "past" and not "passed" in this context. The "grey area" Kweepa is referencing is whether or not the phrase "get past" is an idiom.

barefoot

Cheers CaptainD

if you would paste that as a comment for the game that would be great.

If you look at the Newt it says:  Even the bravest may run!! surely that's a clue?

I have amended some of the spelling mentioned and will update as i come across anything..

:=

barefoot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk