"The game is set to start in room -1 which does not exist"

Started by Rwinds, Sat 18/06/2011 01:32:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Rwinds

Hello all,

I'm starting to experiment with AGS for the first time but I've already hit a wall. Every time I attempt to upload my first room
a message reporting a compilation error appears; it states "The game is set to start in room -1 which does not exist". From what I can gather I have followed the tutorial guide perfectly, and I'm not sure where I went wrong. 

Icey

Rwinds

I am in the very beginning stages, and haven't even worked with characters. Creating from the guide it advises creating a room first. I had figured that the AGS stock character would be by default the character used by the program. I haven't set a value determining which room the character enters. Do you believe that's the issue? If so, how would I go about fixing that. :)

barefoot

Hi

check all of your characters 'Starting Room' in their events panel (lower right of screen).. if your main player says -1  or other than 1 then change to 1 then run the game it should be ok..

BTW lots of imported characters may start other than Room 1, so keep an eye on their Starting Rooms...

barefoot

I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Khris

Yeah, you need at least one character, even for a 1st person game, because the player character's room determines which one is displayed by the game to the player.
If by "the guide" you mean the manual's tutorial, it says to start a Default Game which has Roger as player character set to start in room 1.

Rwinds

Thank you. I had accidentally altered the default character's starting room. Your comments deduced the issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk