Background Blitz - Location of Knowledge (June 23 - July 10 - 2011) WINNER

Started by Daniel Thomas, Fri 24/06/2011 20:39:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

Topic: A Location of Knowledge

Any place that you would associate with knowledge. It Could be a school, library, brain.. Use your imagination.

Voting: July 10

Restriction: AGS compatible.

Good luck!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

oraxon

At the War Department archives.
Professor: "The files are gone! This is the Baron's handiwork!"
Winthrop: "Ooh ooh eek eeek eek!"

Professor: "Yes! Quickly, back to the time machine, Winthrop!"

WHAM

Is it ok if I draw a new background for an ongoing game project? I'm currently making a game and it needs a library, so is it ok if I combine that project with the competition, or would it sort of break the rules?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Alan v.Drake

I'm afraid I'm better with pixels.

edit: improved

- Alan

david

those are really gorgeos backgrounds
how do you guys do it???

TheRoger

@ David  Umm...paint/draw I guess. Pictures don't appear from wanting  ;D

oraxon

@ David: I made mine in Maya. Got the rust textures free from morguefile.com. Once I modeled one file cabinet, I just duplicated it around the set. The cables are simple, too, just extruded curves. Don't tell anyone.  :)

Sughly

2dMatty

Oh nice entries so far! Still thinking of how I'll approach this one... :)

Daniel Thomas

Nice ones, guys!

WHAM, sure, go a head.. I don't know how the rules usually are, but I think it will be alright.

WHAM

A dark, forgotten mansion in the middle of the Scottish countryside. The young nobleman who built the house in the late 1920's was a man who knew the value of knowledge. He gathered books from all over europe, and built a quite formidable collection. Some of the books he hid in his own office, while others he displayed in the small library he had had built into the house. Here his guests could peruse the less rare, but still valuable texts at their leisure.

Room shown here in 2x size. Is to be used for a 320x200 game and will scroll a little as player moves around.

Competitions like this give a good jolt for me to get my creative juices flowing. I need to push out two rooms per week minimum to meet my deadline, and thanks to this competition I got this one done in a day!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

2dMatty

I decided it'd be a cool idea to have a location where knowledge was being collected and recorded.

A classic stake-out is taking place! In the building across there have been some dodgy deeds happening. So the government has set up a camera and had agents continuously watching the place, whilst eating bucket loads of junk food. The agents have a wall devoted to all the information they have on the suspected persons and are hoping to catch them in the act soon!

Hope you guys like! :D

Snath3000

And done, finally...
I realized about half way through that I am really bad at coloring...
Well, good experience, learned some new tricks, but I really didn't feel I did it justice. I'll probably submit it to the scrutiny of the critics lounge and see what I can learn.

I have tried to go with the idea that the location is the book itself which shapes itself to suit the needs of the user. For instance the pages forming the stairs which allow the reader to access the higher text on the upright  page.

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Daniel Thomas

Nice entries everyone! Great participation!

Let's start the voting, I will keep the voting open for the next ~48hours.

Code: ags

[b]Idea[/b] -
[b]Atmosphere[/b] -
[b]Design[/b] -
[b]Composition[/b] -
[b]Functionality[/b] -
[b]Technique[/b] - 

2dMatty

Idea - Snath3000
Atmosphere - oraxon
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - oraxon
Technique - Alan v.Drake

Alan v.Drake

Idea - Snath3000 (fancy)
Atmosphere - 2d_Matty
Design -
Composition - oraxon ( you could have used a few more textures, though :( )
Functionality - WHAM  ( put some contrast in your drawing, it'll make stuff more solid! )
Technique -

oraxon

Idea - Snath3000
Atmosphere - 2d_Matty. I like how they got a rifle against the wall...just in case...
Design - Alan v. Drake.  Imagining books floating to the player if they enter the right code.
Composition - 2d_Matty
Functionality - WHAM
Technique - Snath3000. Wish more games were like this.

@ Alan v. Drake: I know, and a few more lights, too!
@Sughly: only when the set is basically a bunch of cubes. :)

Khris

Just wanted to pop in to say that all of these are amazing in their own right and it's really cool to see these different styles and how each of them has their own charm.
The background blitz really has become a showcase of awesome recently :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk