AGS engine PSP port

Started by JJS, Fri 15/07/2011 16:27:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinx1337

JJS, are you still working on this project?

I truly hope it doesn't end up abandoned.

I love the October update, however I am still hoping for the stretched widescreen support.
However, I still get loading times between sound effects like footsteps (which result in 2 sec pauses between steps the characters take).

lestat666 - I am getting these in Maniac Mansion Deluxe as well (apart from "X days a..." games); you sure have these playing smoothly?

Cheers and all the best, JJS

lestat666

Really???

That is strange...... I just loaded up MMD.  I hadn't started it yet because i am playing gemeni rue.   No delays for footsteps when in front of the Mansion.  What mod are you using?  I wonder if that has something to do with it.  I am running pro B 10 on a psp fully hackable 2000.  Is yours a 1000?  I know the 1000s only have 32MB RAM instead of 64.....  that could have something to do with it too.

I actually came here because I ran into a problem with Gemini Rue, which i thought was fully functional.  I am getting an error at the point where i take the photo I got from Kenneth and stick it in the Terminal in the second Act.  The says Data Pack received (this is part of the game) and then I get this error.

And internal error has occured blah blah...
if problem persists, post at AGS technical forum.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)
Error: Unable to create local script: Runtime Error: unresolved import 'List'

Any ideas anybody??

lestat666

So I tried loading my save game on my pc to get past this point and i get an error stating unable to open, saved with a different interpreter.... ERRR!

Guess i am going to have to wait to see what everyone's take is on it, as I am officially stuck due to the error, unless I replay the whole game to this point on my pc....
I'd rather play it on the psp though.. looks so much better on a smaller screen.

Thanks for everyone's help.

JJS

This is most likely a bug that was introduced with a backward compatibility fix. It should work again in this version based on the latest changes in the GIT repository: http://jjs.at/temp/AGS_Runtime_for_PSP_3.21_git.zip
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Jinx1337

Quote from: lestat666 on Thu 05/01/2012 02:02:43
Really???

That is strange...... I just loaded up MMD.  I hadn't started it yet because i am playing gemeni rue.   No delays for footsteps when in front of the Mansion.  What mod are you using?  I wonder if that has something to do with it.  I am running pro B 10 on a psp fully hackable 2000.  Is yours a 1000?  I know the 1000s only have 32MB RAM instead of 64.....  that could have something to do with it too.

PSP 2000, fully hacked with latest PRO as well (memstick speed up turned on in recovery as well).

I'll try getting to it tommorow and recording a video of said delay.

Sane Co.

Has jjs fixed flashlight.prx yet? Just wondering.

JJS

Jinx1337, do you have the sound cache enabled? This is done with setting "cache_size = x" in the "sound" category of "psp.cfg", with x being bigger than 0. Standard is 10.

Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 06/01/2012 03:13:07
Has jjs fixed flashlight.prx yet? Just wondering.
What is broken about it?

Sane Co.

When I try to play either (a) The book the box or the key or (b) the new Ben Jordan 8 demo. An error message appears saying that Error: agsflashlight.prx is an old incompatible version. On any ags port I have tried.

Icey

Maybe it's from dump file or something I don't know I'm just taking a guess here.

JJS

Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 06/01/2012 14:51:45
When I try to play either (a) The book the box or the key or (b) the new Ben Jordan 8 demo. An error message appears saying that Error: agsflashlight.prx is an old incompatible version. On any ags port I have tried.
Should be fixed in the newest version. You can get it here: http://jjs.at/daily

Sane Co.

jjs thank you for all your effort. i'll see if it works when i get to my computer.
thanks,
sane co.

lestat666

Quote from: JJS on Thu 05/01/2012 08:40:28
This is most likely a bug that was introduced with a backward compatibility fix. It should work again in this version based on the latest changes in the GIT repository: http://jjs.at/temp/AGS_Runtime_for_PSP_3.21_git.zip

Quote from: JJS on Fri 06/01/2012 20:44:13
Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 06/01/2012 14:51:45
Should be fixed in the newest version. You can get it here: http://jjs.at/daily

What is the difference between the GIT version and the dailies versions and what version should I get?

Also, are those private links?  I can't seem to navigate to the links you provided on your actual website.  I can only seem to link to them from here.  Not that it really matters,  I was just curious because it seems we can keep even more up to date than just with the official releases.

Quote from: JJS on Fri 06/01/2012 07:29:44
Jinx1337, do you have the sound cache enabled? This is done with setting "cache_size = x" in the "sound" category of "psp.cfg", with x being bigger than 0. Standard is 10.

Did this happen to fix it Jinx1337?  I am curious, because I never had the problem and never changed any settings.

Thanks everyone for the quick input.  I thought i was going to have to wait a while.

Jinx1337

Unfortunately, nope - the newest version didn't fix it.

Didn't know you have a daily build site tho, JJS - thanks for the link!

I've recorded how the game behaves (tried setting sound cache to 10, 20, 40 and even 1 [and 0] to disable it, but that doesn't seem to affect anything in my case).

MMD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22299599/Video%2007.01.2012%2006%2012%2043.mov
7 Days: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22299599/Video%2007.01.2012%2006%2021%2051.mov

It is most apparent in the second video, when two guys walk together (and apparently, the sound effects overlap). Notice how the memcard LED blinks, showing the evident MS reading; as if nothing gets cached at all.
It happens in every game with footsteps sounds.

edit:
glad to have this thread alive again :)

JJS

Quote from: lestat666 on Sat 07/01/2012 02:53:23What is the difference between the GIT version and the dailies versions and what version should I get?
Get the daily build, it is most up to date and also includes the relevant fix for Gemini Rue. I only now decided to also build "developer" versions of the PSP engine, so there is nothing about it on the website yet.

Jinx1337, I will investigate this further.

lestat666

There is only one other hardware thing i can think of if it is not a software issue.

What kind of memory stick do you have. 
I am using an 8GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX.

I keep my regular Sony pro-duo as my Magic Memory stick.

If you are using a regular pro duo, i know they have slower read speeds.
The one I am using is 30MB a sec instead of 20...   

They are only 20 bucks brand new and come with a high quality reader.
Maybe you can try that out.

If this isn't the case, it maybe a software issue that JJS has to sort out.

LRH

I have a handful of games that seem to crash on startup. Two of them are mine. Could this have something to do with having the games in windowed/fullscreen mode or anything simple like that?

Edit: Ugh, nevermind. I was being an idiot, I guess. I didn't realize it doesn't handle D3D9. Switching it to DirectDraw 5 fixed the games that don't work.

Jinx1337

Quote from: lestat666 on Sat 07/01/2012 22:20:33
There is only one other hardware thing i can think of if it is not a software issue.

What kind of memory stick do you have. 
I am using an 8GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX.

I keep my regular Sony pro-duo as my Magic Memory stick.

If you are using a regular pro duo, i know they have slower read speeds.
The one I am using is 30MB a sec instead of 20...   

They are only 20 bucks brand new and come with a high quality reader.
Maybe you can try that out.

If this isn't the case, it maybe a software issue that JJS has to sort out.

I'm pretty positive I have the very same card, and it also shows up as a MAGIC GATE, so I know its legit.
Did you check the movies I posted? You don't get the same reading that I'm getting?

Weird indeed :)

lestat666

Well, Gemini Rue is working again, so that is great.

In MMD, I can't see any weird behavior in the vid you posted other than it hickups a little.  I guess mine does that sometimes.  And it does read the mem card when taking steps.  I guess i just never noticed it.  It isn't that noticeable for me.

This is kinda off topic, but I was trying to get Abuse for the psp working, which I got off your site.

The official abuse files are now updated to 0.8.  I followed all the instructions, but i get a bunch of errors about not being able to open sfx and some other file.....  I can't remember and then it kicks me back to the menu.

Any help is appreciated.
thanks.

JJS

For Abuse you need the "old" data files: http://abuse.zoy.org/attachment/wiki/download/abuse-data-2.00.tar.gz

There is always an access to the memory stick when a sound is played even if it is present in the cache. I don't really know what is read from the MS, but the sound is taken from the cache. The videos look pretty much like what I get on my PSPs. Probably the slight delay is simply from setting up and playing the sound. So it might be unavoidable.

lestat666

I did notice one small thing with MMD too.

Sometimes when the text is over another object, it sometimes casts a ghost effect or double letters.

Not sure if this could be fixed.
Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk