MAGS September: "Broomsticks and Boomsticks" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 02/09/2011 16:41:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Broomsticks and Boomsticks'

This month's guidelines were set by Ghost:

Make a game set in a world where magic and technology exist - be it a classic steampunk
universe, our world after some strange event that "created" magic, or whatever you can
think of. Magic, technology (or a combination thereof) must feature in the plot, but feel
free to treat them as rivals, allies or just two different means to achieve a goal.

Ideas to help you:

• An assasin is sent out to kill a hight-ranking mage when his technical equipment fails.
• A wizard falls in love with a tinkerer.
• A boy finds out he's good at technology but can also do magic.
• Gandalf and the Terminator fight for domination of a post-nuclear wasteland.

Note: wow, it's now been a year since I took over hostship?
So in honour of your glorious leader you must dedicate your game to me (or suffer a -5 vote penalty). That's only fair, right?

Ending 30/9/11

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information visit the Official MAGS website.

TomatoesInTheHead

This topic sounds great!

Hope to see many interesting entries :) (and as always, I'll probably not be the creator of one of them :-\)

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

Hmm I may give this a go... even though its now the 4th

Radiant

Nice but I probably won't have time for this.

Zyargeikunn

Yeah, I'm in. Had an idea some time ago that involves brooms and technology and thankfully did not work on it, yet.

Atelier

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 03/09/2011 13:47:35
Congrats on your anniversary, Atelier!!

Thank you :)

Ok Calin, Zyargeikunn (had to copy and paste that), and everybody else. It's half way!

EdLoen

You know, I actually have an idea for this.  I just have to think about the execution of it now.

Icey

Studio3 presents Forest Dweller 3D v1.0.

Download:FD 3D

Story-
The Hidden Forest is dying due to the crystal that keeps it alive. The Crystal has lost all of it's power so now it is up to the forest dweller Zeke Cid to search around the forest for the 4 hidden Booster Tech blocks a.k.a the Core Cubes. Even though technology is against the forests laws it is their last hope to restore power back to the Crystal.

Any problems please PM me so I can try to fix them. So far there is only one problem and that is there is only one character. I will try to fix soon as well.
Like it or hate is up to you. I'm just in this for the main prize ;)

Wyz

I was working on something but due to lack of time I'll have to drop out unfortunately.  :'(
Damn it! I had such a great idea!
Well might as well share it with you all:
Bullets and Spells (Game concept & design doc)

I'll cancel development indefinitely, though I want to roll this out someday. :(
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Icey

wow that does sound good.

I meen the game sounds good not the fact that you can't make it :(

Atelier

Quote from: Wyz+ on Tue 27/09/2011 16:00:47
though I want to roll this out someday. :(

Good :)

Right then. We have one entry, any other takers, or is it a default win?

Radiant

I'm not going to have an entry for this. Lack of time, and all that.

Icey

Atelier

Congratulations icey! It's a shame there wasn't more of a competition but you won nonetheless :) Sending you PM shortly.

Hopefully MAGS October will be more of a success!

Icey

Thanks. I was hoping to play wyz's game.

As for oct, I plan to make it interesting now that I have the "power" ;)

Atelier

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 30/09/2011 15:53:48

You'll be setting the guidelines for November, it works in a staggered system :)

Zyargeikunn

Icey

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 01/10/2011 18:36:02
Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 30/09/2011 15:53:48

You'll be setting the guidelines for November, it works in a staggered system :)

I kinda got this late and made it already. I need it looked to November.

Ghost

With great power comes great responsibility.

(Sorry, I HAD to get that line out!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk