[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JJS

Here is the initial version of an engine port to Android. It is based on the PSP port, so it also shares some features:

- Support for AGS data files version 2.50 - 3.21 UPDATE: now supports up to 3.4.0-P2
- Plugin support including AGSBlend and open-source recreations of the Snow/Rain and Flashlight plugin
- All color depths and screen resolutions

The mouse cursor is moved by dragging, a left click is done by a quick touch and a right click by touching with two fingers. You can bring up the software keyboard with the MENU button.

I chose the namespace as "com.bigbluecup.android". The reason was that I want to avoid the situation of the ScummVm project, where another private namespace was initially used and is still kept to avoid breaking updates through the market. Still, this is open to discussion. For now, the application is also not on the market (would be too early in development anyway).

Games must be placed on the SD card root in the "ags" directory. Each game needs its own subdirectory (like in the PSP port). The data file is automatically detected within the folder.

Native libraries are included for all Android platforms (armeabi, armeabi-v7, x86).

I am no expert in Android development so I would appreciate any feedback.  :=

:= DOWNLOADS AND OTHER LINKS :=

[Crimson Wizard's EDIT] Because JJS has long abandoned development, his builds are very much outdated. You can still use them to run games made with AGS 3.2.1 and earlier, but you won't be able to use them to run newest game created with newest versions of AGS.
Since 3.4.0-p2 release there will be Android APK download link along other downloads provided in respected forum threads. Check "AGS Engine & Editor Releases" forum section.
Current release:
-===    http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/finals/AGS-3.4.0-P2/Android.3.4.0.14.APK.zip   ===-

Old JJS's daily builds (circa 2013 and earlier):
http://jjs.at/daily/

Source here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio

For usage instructions see here:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Android/README.md

Please also post feature requests and bugs there.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

magintz

Where can I find the 'like' button...

oh here it is  :=
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Dualnames

Despite i find this ultra-amazing, my android phone doesn't. Xperia 10 mini.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

magic, will report back.

I have a new HTC sensation tho so i wont be much use for performance testing

JJS

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 03/11/2011 20:44:43
Hmm, so what happens? Does it not install or not run?

Maybe I should add that for non-market apps to work, you have toggle some setting in the system options (allow installation from "unknown sources").

The minimum Android version this runs on is 1.6 and I have only run it on my T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) which is probably a very low performance device nowadays. Overall games run way worse on it than on the PSP which is mostly due to lack of an FPU I guess.

Dualnames

Quote from: JJS on Thu 03/11/2011 21:03:26
Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 03/11/2011 20:44:43
Hmm, so what happens? Does it not install or not run?

Maybe I should add that for non-market apps to work, you have toggle some setting in the system options (allow installation from "unknown sources").

The minimum Android version this runs on is 1.6 and I have only run it on my T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) which is probably a very low performance device nowadays. Overall games run way worse on it than on the PSP which is mostly due to lack of an FPU I guess.

It installs, and when i run a game (the application seems to run okay), it freezes with a white screen. If you have some sort of test game, to make sure it's something else, I'd be happy to try it out.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Icey

yes! I hope this works on my phone.

Calin Leafshade

I have the same problem as duals.

The music does play tho, albeit in a distorted, stuttering kind of way.

JJS

I see. The white screen could be a problem with creating the screen texture (drawing is done via OpenGL). Does the white area fill the whole screen or does it change size when turning the phone?

e: Maybe not relevant because this might be a more fundamental problem, but basically all games I tried run on my phone. This includes e.g. all Ben Jordan titles.

Dualnames

I was able to rotate. It's not like the application freezes.

Calin Leafshade

yes, ditto. The white texture resizes on rotate and the app doesnt crash

Icey

My game doesn't load for some reason. I get a script error about some import called menu? Then when i try to quit I end up having to force close. btw I got a Sidekick 4g

JJS

Ok, thanks. I have a lead, obviously something rotten is going on with garbage collection and the sound buffer. I only get errors in the emulator though and not on my phone  ???. Will investigate this further, sorry for the trouble.

Edit: Is this any better? http://jjs.at/temp/AGS_1.apk

Dualnames

Quote from: JJS on Thu 03/11/2011 22:09:06
Ok, thanks. I have a lead, obviously something rotten is going on with garbage collection and the sound buffer. I only get errors in the emulator though and not on my phone  ???. Will investigate this further, sorry for the trouble.

No trouble at all.

Calin Leafshade

Calin Leafshade

Ok, it works on my hero but not on my sensation but the mouse movement doesnt work very well. The track ball seems to move the mouse a tiny bit and click the left button every time you move it.

dragging the mouse doesnt work at all.

pcj

I get the white screen on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy S.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Gilbert

Yeah, I've tried 5 Days a Stranger on my Galaxy S2 and the same thing happened.

Also, my test game, which was compiled with V2.6SP1, didn't show up. Is it because my game is 8-bit and the engine does not support 8-bit modes?

I actually tried the PSP version some time earlier out of curiosity and it also didn't recognise my game, but since I just tested it with an emulator (I don't own a PSP, and never will) this cannot be any indication.

EDIT: I just put another 8-bit test game compiled with V3.21 and it was recognised (also white screen though), so it shouldn't be a colour depth. Maybe it has difficulties recognising V2.6SP1 games.

R4L

Same white screen results. On rooted LG Optimus V. Could be because my device is only clocked at 760 MHz, and that's overclocked. :P

abstauber

First of all: have they finally released an Android port of Allegro? This is too good to be true ;)

Unfortunately I'm also stuck with that white screen. (Moto Defy on Cyanogen7 Android 2.3.5)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk