[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

There's a build from April that I uploaded. Probably high time I do another build -- this was around the time I got preoccupied with adding build targets to the editor. I'm looking into the possibility of building standalone APKs from the editor as well, too, but that's several months away at least to be honest.

rmonic79

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 06/11/2014 21:24:48
There's a build from April that I uploaded. Probably high time I do another build -- this was around the time I got preoccupied with adding build targets to the editor. I'm looking into the possibility of building standalone APKs from the editor as well, too, but that's several months away at least to be honest.
Thanks!!! now works on LG Optimus 3d. Previous versions doesn't recognize game in folder.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 06/11/2014 21:24:48

Maybe someone could start a new topic, with the links to most recent builds? Unless JJS returns to forums, the old links are going to be on the first page forever.
(JJS was here in June BTW, perhaps he is too busy...)

BigMc

Or the builds are put on the homepage, where they belong.

AGD2

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 11/09/2014 13:40:22
Blackthorne, have you tested QFI on Android? I know Himalaya Studios was having issues with their games silently crashing, but I could never reproduce it.

Just wanted to post an update that we've been porting Al Emmo to iOS and these random silent crashes still occur on that platform, so whatever the cause, I can confirm that it's not Android-specific.

monkey0506

:~( Okay, in that case I'm increasingly convinced that it's either something to do with the audio or the OpenGL graphics driver. :-X

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 10/11/2014 07:35:23
Just wanted to post an update that we've been porting Al Emmo to iOS and these random silent crashes still occur on that platform, so whatever the cause, I can confirm that it's not Android-specific.
Are you using threaded audio in Al Emmo?

E: There was also a bug I fixed relatively recently:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/195
The bug was originally reported on Linux, so I guess it may refer to Android too.
Janet Gilbert once gave me a read access to Gemini Rue crash reports on iOS, and this bug is one of the most frequently occuring one lately (either I did not paid enough attention before, or there's a new version of iOS that is more susceptible to it.

The fix is not in the released version yet, but I was planning another version update after some time (3.3.3).
But it is possible to make a new Android engine APK already.

Getting any debug information on crash could help.

monkey0506

I'm downloading the latest NDK right now and then I'll do a build of the current master branch.

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 10/11/2014 09:16:24
Are you using threaded audio in Al Emmo?

I believe the latest version is using threaded audio, but in the past, I have experienced this crash with the threaded setting set to both 0 and 1.

Also, the iOs and Android ports are using the Software driver (not OpenGL) when the crash occurs. But I think it could crash under either.

Often these silent crashes occur while a character is in the middle of speaking, so I have also wondered whether it might be related to using .pam lip-sync files.

monkey0506

Some notes about my attempts to build the latest version:

* NDK Revision 10c removed several functions that the AGSLua plugin relies on (specifically it is mentioning "__srget", but this relies on several other removed functions).
* The master branch (sans AGSLua plugin) builds and runs correctly.
* The develop-3.4.0 branch (AGS 3.4.0.2) (sans AGSLua) builds but hangs with a loading screen before silently crashing...

Looking into it!

Blackthorne

I haven't had QFI crash on Android yet - but I haven't finished it yet.  I know others have, though.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

AGD2

Another update. Today, after disabling threaded audio, I was able to play through the entire port of Al Emmo on iOS, without it silently crashing even once. I think this is the first time I've ever been able to accomplish this! (Though, I swear it has crashed in the past on Android with threaded audio disabled).

Either way, the "silent crash" glitch looks like it's almost certainly narrowed down to threaded audio.

monkey0506

Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, but here's an AGS 3.3.2 APK. This is based on the master branch of the repository, so should be considered a stable build. This also includes rebuilt Lua libraries, so the APK is notably about 2 MB larger versus previous versions. I'm not sure why the rebuilt libraries are so much larger; I've been investigating how JJS previously built the Lua static libraries (see related issue #211).

NOTE: I changed the package name for this APK from com.bigbluecup.android.launcher to com.bigbluecup.android.gamelauncher, so it will appear as a new app with the same name. I did this because I would like to start pushing these APKs over the Google Play store but someone has uploaded an unpublished APK with the original name. I have not been able to track down who did this, but if anyone who has access to a Google Play Developer account could just double check, I would like to go back to the original package name.

HappehLemons

Awesome! Will this fix the steam errors a lot of us were getting?

monkey0506

Someone contacted me via PM, and brought up an important issue that will need to be addressed. Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat) removed the ability for an app to write to any folder on the SD card that it does not own. This can easily be resolved by those who have rooted devices (like myself), but we should come up with a more general solution (e.g., take ownership of the /~external-storage/ags folder from the launcher app). I'm also not sure how this will play into virtual storage mounted by standalone apps (e.g., mounted OBB files). This will need to be addressed, as more and more users are on the latest versions of Android.

ET3D

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 19/11/2014 23:46:45
Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, but here's an AGS 3.3.2 APK.

Tried it, but I can't see the menu button in game, which let me bring up the keyboard in JJS's version. Without it it's impossible to progress in The Blackwell Epiphany. Also, ghosts aren't rendered translucent in your version.

Unfortunately, the game crashes a lot in both this and JJS's last version, so I'm pretty much stuck at the beginning. I guess I'll be forced to play it on Windows.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ET3D on Wed 31/12/2014 09:33:53
Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 19/11/2014 23:46:45
Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, but here's an AGS 3.3.2 APK.

Tried it, but I can't see the menu button in game, which let me bring up the keyboard in JJS's version. Without it it's impossible to progress in The Blackwell Epiphany. Also, ghosts aren't rendered translucent in your version.

Since I am maintaining general engine code, I am particularily interested in the translucency bug. Can you upload a save game made near these ghosts?

ET3D

There's no real need for a save. Joey, one of the two playable characters, is a ghost and should be translucent.

If you want a save anyway, I will try uploading one. I'm not sure how the filenames correspond to the game's save names, but I think I'll get it right.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ET3D on Wed 31/12/2014 14:39:48
There's no real need for a save. Joey, one of the two playable characters, is a ghost and should be translucent.
I see, that's right. Just tried out 3.3.2 on Windows, but it looks translucent. Might be OpenGL and/or Android issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk