Forthnightly Writing Contest: Mad Scientist Edition! (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by kconan, Mon 28/11/2011 03:52:06

Previous topic - Next topic

kconan

It's ALIIIIIIVE!  Your challenge is to write a story or poem that includes at least one mad scientist.  He/she/it can be the main character integral to the plot or even a bit player.

The deadline is December 20th!

And the trophy prizes are:

The Golden Beaker!

And, meh, the Silver Beaker...

Ponch

Is there no bronze beaker? What if I take third place? Must I go tragically trophy-less?

It's madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!

kconan

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 30/11/2011 04:26:24
Is there no bronze beaker? What if I take third place? Must I go tragically trophy-less?

Ah yes good point, I almost forgot the leaky Wooden Beaker...

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Wed 30/11/2011 06:21:46
I almost forgot the leaky Wooden Beaker...

Excellent! Something to strive for!  :D

Ghost

Not really a poem, more a "sing-along-to". Here is the song you can sing it along to.
(Now formatted to match the cadence)

Tasty Mad Science

Dr. X was mad as hell, he could have been a crook,
weren't it that this monster-maker
was a darn great cook!

Monday morning came around,
the doctor thought aloud:
"In my kitchen I could work all day!"
He took eggs and a large pan,
'cuz of eggs he was a fan,
then he made the weird science again!

Frankie was all made of fried egg, soft and squishy and off-white,
He went well along with bacon, tasty and well fried!

Dr. X was mad and happy, Frankie was so cool!
He gave him some pants and gladly
sent him off to school!

There Frank sat for a while, completely free of guile,
he learned math and verbs
and all those things.
Then bell rang, joys indeed!
For now t'was time to eat:
To the cafe-te-e-rii--ha seat!

He could conjugate those verb things, all day and all night!

As he sat there all alone,  chewing on a Funny Bone,
he met the Creepy Pasta Girl,
She was slim and not a fruit, but surely also food!
They fell in love and that was cute!

Fried eggs do not go with pasta*, but hey, it's all right!
It's allright!

kconan

CaptainD

“My name is Emerson Fittipaldronetti, and I’m a mad scientist.

It all began when daddy bought me a chemistry set.  It was a surprise gift, and the results were also surprising â€" not least to my cat, Ayrton.  How was I to know that mixing Senna leaf with Mystery Compound XII would turn my cat into a biological weapon?!  There was nothing in the manual to suggest that... well, apart from the part that said “treat all mystery compounds with the greatest of care”, but then user guides always say stuff like that just in case.

Anyway, when Ayrton was recovered and put into a secure nuclear facility, it turned out pretty well â€" half of western Europe now gets its electricity from the (when strictly isolated) safe and (when cat food is supplied abundantly) renewable feline isotopic poo.  Of course, the government won’t admit to this publicly, but as a reward they game me, aged only 8 at the time, my own laboratory and staff.

Well naturally I decided that becoming a mad scientist would be a great career move, though I hadn’t quite decided whether I wanted to be an EVIL mad scientist or not.  At any rate, after my early successes of turning Cabinet ministers into zombies without anyone noticing much difference, and making Big Ben sentient so that he would only chime on the hour whenever he felt like it (engineers still haven’t figured this out), I embarked on my greatest project yet â€" via the water supply, undetectable to any filters, I added a formula that would exponentially raise the IQ of all the inhabitants of Great Britain.  The plan was foolproof, and a great success.

Well, almost a great success.  People did indeed get smarter, but there were two unfortunate side-effects.  Firstly, every TV show that had enjoyed great success over the years, so-called “reality” TV and all those showed designed to pander to talentless people determined to be famous, had a massive drop in popularity.  Not a great tragedy in itself of course, but the effects on the country’s economy were devastating.  Also, all the other countries became jealous of our new-found intellectual stimulus, and everyone resented it immensely.  Things got so bad that I actually had to put another formula in to make people dumber again.

Therefore, what should have been my greatest triumph ended up as my biggest disaster.  The MoD decided that I was a national threat, and MI5 keep tabs on me at all times.  I decided that being a mad scientist maybe wasn’t so much fun after all â€" which is why I am here, speaking to all of you, at Mad Scientists Anonymous.”

Thank you for sharing your story, Mr Fittipaldronetti â€" most enlightening and very, very sad.  Still, I’m sure we will be able to help you become a valued member of society.  So, who wants to tell us their story next?  Ah yes, Mr Sinclair â€" please tell us about that C5 contraption of yours...

Ponch

It had taken two days and a night, but at last mad Dr. Whittlemore had finished carving and sanding smooth his wooden beaker.

With this, he thought, I'm sure to take third place in that mad scientist contest and win that wooden beaker I've always wanted. And all it took was the will to carve this wooden beaker.

CaptainD

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 20/12/2011 01:31:22
It had taken two days and a night, but at last mad Dr. Whittlemore had finished carving and sanding smooth his wooden beaker.

With this, he thought, I'm sure to take third place in that mad scientist contest and win that wooden beaker I've always wanted. And all it took was the will to carve this wooden beaker.

The wooden beaker was leaky, but Dr. Whittlemore was happy to possess it all the same.  ;D

Ponch

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 20/12/2011 09:08:20

The wooden beaker was leaky, but Dr. Whittlemore was happy to possess it all the same.  ;D

Don't jinx it for me. I haven't won third place yet.  :=

kconan

Haha, is this really your entry?

One more day and voting begins...

Ponch

Yep. That's my entry. I think it's good enough for a third place win. I need that wooden beaker, kconan. I NEED it.  :=

CaptainD

So are we viting yet?  In which case my vote goes to Ghost - some dodgy rhymes and doesn't always scan, but it's a lot of fun!  ;D

kconan

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 21/12/2011 16:53:15
So are we viting yet?  In which case my vote goes to Ghost - some dodgy rhymes and doesn't always scan, but it's a lot of fun!  ;D

Yea, we can vote now.  So thats one for Ghost.

Ponch

It was a tough one, but I'm voting for Cap'n D. Both were entertaining, but I'm just not one for poetry.

So there's a two-way tie for first place. Ponch falls behind the pack with zero votes. That leaky wooden beaker looks to be a lock!  :D

kconan

kconan

I handle tie-breakers, and so CaptainD wins by a hair over Ghost.

Winnner of the Golden beaker....Captain D!  

And the Silver beaker goes to...Ghost!  

And the leaking Wooden beaker goes to...Ponch!  

Over to you CaptainD

CaptainD

Why thank you, thank you... I just don't know what to say.

Annoyingly, I had a good idea for the next writing challenge, but it's gone out of my head at the moment... will post it when I remember!!!

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Fri 23/12/2011 04:31:45
And the leaking Wooden beaker goes to...Ponch!  

Woot! My cunning plan paid off! The leaky beaker is minez!!1!   ;D

Congrats, Captain. And thanks, Kconan. Fun contest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk