Module: Lip synching with Lucasarts-style speech

Started by IceMan, Thu 02/02/2012 18:22:42

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMan

This is a feature I've long-requested for AGS, but didn't get implemented, so here's a module for it!

Lip synching with Lucasarts-style speech module

AGS won't let you use both Lucasarts-style speech and Pamela-file lip-synching, so this module hacks speaking characters after picking up the Pamela files manually.  It's adapted from Calin Leafshade's original code, without which I wouldn't have had the faintest clue of what to do, so thanks Calin!

I've tried to comment the code and make it all understandable, but post a reply here and I'll see if I can help further.  It was a big help for my own game, Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass, and with the help of Smiley's lip synch manager (which auto-generates the pamela files), I got lip-synching into my game in about two days.

Hope someone finds it useful!

Grundislav

Thanks!  This is indeed very useful.  The only nitpick I have is that it wasn't clear where I had to put the Dat folder.  I didn't know "game directory" meant "compiled directory" but I'm a little slow.

Aside from that it works like a charm!

Akril15

After so many years, my biggest AGS-related wish has finally come true! :D

Well, technically, it kind of already did when Calin contributed his code back in 2010...but at least it's all wrapped up in a tidy little module now.

Thank you very much!

Calin Leafshade

Glad someone found my code useful. A few things that puzzle me though.

Why did you change the iSay function from an extender function?

cChar.iSay(what);

makes more sense than

iSay(cChar, what);

Also there're a few things you could do to clean up the code since some of my sloppiness remains but overall it probably wont matter.

All in all a job well done!

IceMan

Put any confusion in the code down to my own ineptitude  :=

I'm afraid my philosophy when it comes to coding is pretty much "If it works for me, don't go changing it"

Herooftime1000

The link to this is gone. Does anyone have it?

kaput

Quote from: Herooftime1000 on Sun 23/06/2013 05:18:36
The link to this is gone. Does anyone have it?

I second this curiosity - it was only a year ago so somebody has to have it, right.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk