Jibble

Author Topic: Editor modification: exporting and importing sets of resources  (Read 1766 times)

Monsieur OUXX

• Mittens Vassal
  • Cavefish
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Monsieur OUXX worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Monsieur OUXX worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Hi all,

At the moment, you can only export (and import) resources one by one. For example you can export ONE character, ONE script, etc.
It's a bit annoying when you've been writing a super module that relies on some mandatory graphics (e.g. a GUI). It means that whoever wants to use your module also need to import all the related resources manually.
You're going to tell me : "Yes, but you can make it a game template".
I agree, but lately there have been such great modules and plugins that you'll often want to combine 2 or more, and it can be a pain to "merge" 2 games templates.

Don't get me wrong: It's not about laziness, it's about avoiding human mistakes. When you import a module and the module relies (for example) on a simple gui that's not provided, the readme can esily omit small requirements like "this GUI should necessarily have index #0 otherwise it won't work". You end up reading the whole script to debug silly inconsistencies you introduced when importing.

So I thought I'd just add a little menu in the Editor:
- It opens a listbox with all the resources
- You can tick all the resources you want to export
- then you click on the "export button" and it exports then and zips them together
- Symetriclaly you can import them back as a whole.

Let me know if you have advice to give about that, or hints to help me making sense of the Editor's code.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2012, 12:06 by Monsieur OUXX »

Calin Leafshade

• Long live King Cat!
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Calin Leafshade worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Calin Leafshade worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Since this would be a 'utility' of sorts you can essentially implement it entirely separate from the editors core code (while obviously still observing the coding conventions).

I say just get stuck in and do it.

(Can you tell i'm catching up on all the threads I missed?)