Background Blitz - A glimmer of hope [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by WHAM, Sat 26/05/2012 10:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

A glimmer of hope

All hope seems to be lost, there has been no way to recover from the terrible things that have happened, but then... Something!

You'll have three rules:
1. The scene must convey a scenario in which all hope has been lost
2. It must also have an element, a single object, that serves to give the player / protagonist that one glimmer of hope
3. AGS compatible

Ideas:
- A barren, dead wasteland of rubble and dust, but alas! A single sapling has poked it's head from the ruin!
- A shantytown for those poor, broken down wrecks that used to be men and women, but in the middle stands a single unbroken building offering aid to the hopeless
- A ship has been lost at sea for weeks, it's decks filled with debris and filth and signs of desperation, but alas! Land in the distance!

Deadline is on the 10th of June for now.

Have fun everyone!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Big GC

Captains log: Lost.... In space. Drawn to this planet by its gravitational pull. Sensors are damaged but tell us the air should be breathable. Just enough thrust left for a rough landing, but how will the crew survive after that? No food, No water and no communication. I fear this planet will be our tomb. I must now finish and prepare to chance our luck once more as we try to land...

Making a game - this should be easy......?

Misj'

Quote from: WHAM on Sat 26/05/2012 10:09:36Deadline is on the 10th of July for now.
I might have to ask for an extension. ;-)

on another note...I m actually working on something. So expect to count me in.

WHAM

Whoops, it seems I still occasionally mix up june and july... *embarrassed*
I did mean June 10th, but you probably realized that. :D
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Purange

A really fun prompt, I took a while thinking where I was going to go with it, just popping in to say I'm brewing something up too  :)

Misj'

There are still a few things I might change to the image before the end of the Blitz (if I find the time). But until then, Here's my entry so far (sorry for the 256 dithered colored GIF - the final image will be in glorious PNG :) )

oh...and it's just mildly bending the single object of hope rule ;)

Misj'

WHAM

Interesting BG, Misj, and the scrolling effect is a cool touch!

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 06/06/2012 23:34:56
There are still a few things I might change to the image before the end of the Blitz (if I find the time). But until then, Here's my entry so far (sorry for the 256 dithered colored GIF - the final image will be in glorious PNG :) )

oh...and it's just mildly bending the single object of hope rule ;)

Misj'

Edit: My bad mods, forgot to consider others!

Nice drawing :D

Edited by mod: Please don't quote a whole post with images, especially when the images are large.

amateurhour

Just got around to this, so hopefully I'll make the deadline, but if not I wanted to post the rough. I took some liberties with the concept and went for more of a "barren wasteland... of space" feel, but hopefully I'll capture the rest.

Gonna break out the acrylics and try to paint it this weekend, otherwise I'll see if I can just ink it and color in Photoshop.

Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

EchosofNezhyt

Looking good amateurhour, I say go acrylics I always like that look for pictures like that.

amateurhour

Thanks!

Eventually this summer I'm going to stop lurking in the competition and art threads and start making a few simple games, but right now I'm still trying to relocate my C++ knowledge from college 10 years ago while I teach myself C# and XNA.

Also I did a few space backgrounds a while ago for openRPG and posted them in one of their forums, I'm going to see if I can dig them up and re-size them for AGS and the resource thread.

EchosofNezhyt

Awesome, I'm a art guy but im a very very novice scripter/coder.

If I was skilled at both heh that'd be awesome.

Misj'

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 06/06/2012 23:34:56(sorry for the 256 dithered colored GIF - the final image will be in glorious PNG :) )
Final version:

The isle of Britannia, 500 AD. The land is in ruin, the king has died, and there's just no decent place to buy some good Döner kebab anywhere (yes, I think that counts as a scenario where all hope is lost). Anyway, legend says that whomever pulls the sword from the stone, slices up some sheep, adds the right herbs and spices, roasts it on a rotating spit, puts in on some bread with vegetables, tops it off with some garlic sauce and sambal will become the greatest King of Kebab Britain has ever known.

(small version)

Left:

Right:

I've been wanting to draw a 'two-screen' background for a while now, and this Blitz felt like the right place to try it.

WHAM

My clock tells me it's sunday now (although in forum time the date will change in a bit over an hour)! Tonight is the deadline, so if anyone is still working on something, now it's time to crack the whip!

EchosofNezhyt

Wow I really like that one too.

Edit:
Don't ask... :P
[imgzoom]http://s7.postimage.org/sjpqdecl7/watersandywater.gif[/imgzoom]

WHAM

Final hours are at hand, ladies and gentlemen! Voting will begin in about 4 hours!

Snarky

Quote from: Misj' on Sat 09/06/2012 22:26:54
The isle of Britannia, 500 AD.

Britannia is a land with two moons?

amateurhour

I didn't get to finish mine, so if it's not acceptable as-is feel free to take it out of voting. I've got a half finished ink job in photoshop right now but it looks worse than what I've already posted.

Where the hell did the time go this weekend?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk