AGS 2.x to 3.x migration

Started by Radiant, Fri 26/10/2012 08:41:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

If I import an AGS 2.x game into AGS 3.x, and this compiles without errors, is there anything in particular that I should double-check that it still works? I know the engine is supposed to be backwards-compatible; are there any known issues of kinds of code where the compatibility might be problematic?

Crimson Wizard

There's a number of options in General Settings that control backwards-compatibility for compilation:
"Enforce new-style audio scripting",
"Enforce new-style strings",
"Enforce object_based scripting"
Try to set them all to FALSE.

Radiant

But 3.X still supports old-style scripts and non-object-based scripting, it's just no longer preferred. I know this because my game uses both of those and it still compiles and runs under 3.X. Let me paraphrase: the game appears to run just fine in 3.X; however, I have not tested every single interaction within the game. I'm looking for certain corner cases in design that are known to sometimes fail (and it would be nice if there aren't any), so that I can specifically test those. I already know that the common parts of the main script run just fine.

Crimson Wizard

Dang! It appears I misread your first phrase. I read it as "and this compiles WITH errors". :)

Khris

I'd focus on audio and raw drawing stuff, those underwent significant changes.
The rest should be fine.

Dave Gilbert

Audio, definitely. 3.x handles music and sound completely differently, so make sure everything still works. And if it is a low-res game and you are using high-res fonts, they will no longer display properly and you will need to replace them. Other than that... playtest and see! It really depends on your game.

Radiant

Thanks for your advice. I don't have any funky audio or rawdraw stuff here, thankfully.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk