Background Blitz - Nov 28 to Dec 18 - Ice! Winner Announced

Started by ThreeOhFour, Wed 28/11/2012 10:09:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

For this BG blitz, I want you to focus on frozen water. Your scene can be a snowy street, a cave in the tundra, a research station amongst a chilly glacier, or perhaps something a bit more out there like a sno-cone stall or a cryogenics lab. Whatever you do, make it icy!

Entries should fit within AGS constraints, other than this there are no restrictions.

Voting will start the 19th of December.

Happy drawing!

cat

Nice topic! I didn't join a BG Blitz for quite some time, maybe I'll give it a try.

Misj'

I'm working on a piece, but haven't had much time. And tomorrow I'm going to install a new computer (finally! - after this one has been dying for years (since early 2009))...so hopefully I'll be able to continue/finish it in time.

Anian

Was an ice bridge in a cave with a hole in the ceiling and loads of icicles...then I tried to draw that...then I did something else:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/80fpD.png[/imgzoom]
Made in 640x480px, but thought the clear lines make it look ok smaller also.
If the snow is not enough, there's suppose to be more water inside the well and it's probably frozen. :grin:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Icey

I'm gonna try my luck with this one too.

[imgzoom]http://oi49.tinypic.com/5wayb.jpg[/imgzoom]

A rocky/snowy path way with Dave running up it while it's snowing. I like the background so much I might use it in a game but a version that's less snowy and blue. :)

Misj'

Quote from: Misj' on Fri 14/12/2012 21:34:52...so hopefully I'll be able to continue/finish it in time.
The piece is almost done...but I still need to add some important details (like the ice and stuff). So I'm going to ask for a 24-hour extension to finish it. Call it a birthday present :-D

nihilyst

This time something photoshopped. Could use lots of extra work, though, but since this Blitz has almost ended, here it is:

Misj'

Thanks for the extension Ben!

Here's my entry...there's ice in the wine-cooler  :)

ps. nice entries everyone!

Armageddon

She looks half-pregnant in the portrait but is trying to make it look like she is sticking her stomach out.

Misj'

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 19/12/2012 23:45:42
She looks half-pregnant in the portrait but is trying to make it look like she is sticking her stomach out.
:-D

that's a much better story than I had in mind for the portrait. So from now on it's a painting of your pregnant wife. But...what happened to your wife and kid in this post-apocalyptic world?

Quick-edit just for you Armageddon ;)

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Anian on Sun 16/12/2012 00:09:42
Was an ice bridge in a cave with a hole in the ceiling and loads of icicles...then I tried to draw that...then I did something else:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/80fpD.png[/imgzoom]
Made in 640x480px, but thought the clear lines make it look ok smaller also.
If the snow is not enough, there's suppose to be more water inside the well and it's probably frozen. :grin:

Great style man!

ThreeOhFour

Hooray, several entries!

It's now time to VOTE! Categories:

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a game background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

You have one week!

Armageddon

Idea: Misj'
Atmosphere: nihilyst
Design: Misj'
Composition: Anian
Functionality: Misj'
Technique: nihilyst

EchosofNezhyt

Idea: Anian
Atmosphere: Anian
Design: Anian
Functionality: Misj
Technique: Anian

cat

I really wanted to join this blitz, but sadly I had no time:

Functionality: Anian
Technique: Misj'

Problem

Design: Anian
Functionality: icey games

Anian

Atmosphere: nihilyst
Composition: Misj'
Functionality: icey g
I don't want the world, I just want your half

nihilyst

Atmosphere:  Anian
Technique: Misj'

Misj'

I always like to see people's motivation for their choices...so...

Atmosphere: Icey Games
-- both anian and nihilyst have nice entries, but icey's was the only piece that had a certain coldness about it. Anian's use of warm colors for the sky felt a bit too warm for my taste. And in nihilyst's piece atmosphere was a bit lacking due to the photoshop approach (I think).
Design: Nihilyst
-- Had the well been flat like everything else I would have gone for anian. But the first thing my wife 'complained' about was this inconsistency; and in the end that made me choose Nihilyst.
Composition: Nihilyst
-- This piece has a lot going on but also a lot of well structured empty space. When removing the menu-area it actually (though loosely) adheres to both the rule of three and the golden ratio, and the viewer's eye is nicely guided through the picture from one area of interest to another. Anian's dead-centered well ruined that piece for me.
-- Each of the pieces would work in a game. But when it comes down to putting a playable character in there (so I'm not talking cutscenes or introductionary shots) I think the 'flat' look of anian's piece definitely has its advances, and could prove very interesting (also puzzle-wise)
Technique: Nihilyst
-- Both anian and nihilyst tried something different from their usual styles. But since nihilyst is more consistent in this piece I choose him.

Frodo

Idea:  Misj'
Atmosphere:  Anian
Design:  Misj'
Composition:  Misj'
Functionality:  Anian
Technique:  Misj'

I found it hard to decide between Misj' and Anian for every category.  Both have created such wonderful pictures, although both so different. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk