Author Topic: What grinds my gears!  (Read 103927 times)

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: What grinds my gears!
« Reply #920 on: 17 Feb 2021, 17:26 »
It grinds my gears that there are so many nature "documentaries" that are all about painting nature as some kind of giant gladiator arena that's all about animals killing each other,
It was only a few years ago that I learnt that documentaries aren't supposed to teach you stuff. They're just there to be entertaining. So with that in mind, things such as "facts" usually don't matter.
I know that I sound dumb for having not realized that sooner. But you can't blame me for not realizing that something as boring as documentaries, were being made as entertainment.  8-0

Re: What grinds my gears!
« Reply #921 on: 17 Feb 2021, 20:56 »
It grinds my gears that there are so many nature "documentaries" that are all about painting nature as some kind of giant gladiator arena that's all about animals killing each other,
It was only a few years ago that I learnt that documentaries aren't supposed to teach you stuff. They're just there to be entertaining. So with that in mind, things such as "facts" usually don't matter.
I know that I sound dumb for having not realized that sooner. But you can't blame me for not realizing that something as boring as documentaries, were being made as entertainment.  8-0
The huge problem is that there are documentaries that genuinely do try to teach people facts, and entertainment masking as documentaries, tricking people into thinking their sensationalism is true to life.

For example, Captain America: The first avenger was 100% made to be entertainment, and most people are completely fine with such a film having unrealistic scenes because it's not trying to be realistic,
but if a teacher basically told their students "let's skip the boring WW2 documentary where it's just a bunch of veterans and survivors talking, you can learn all you need on WW2 from watching Captain America
instead, and you'll have much more fun in the process, I say everyone would agree that that teacher either was a moron or wanted to actively make people dumber after attending their class.