Johnny Hurricane and the Pirates of the Third Reich...

Started by Technocrat, Tue 18/09/2012 17:30:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocrat

My next soon-to-be-banned-in-Germany game, coming eventually. Here we go, it's

Nefarious pirate U-boats have been terrorising Allied shipments of treasure and spices throughout the Caribbean, and Fighter Command resolves to put their best man on the case - Johnny Hurricane, ace pilot! His mission to recover the Enigma machine is, however, complicated by the similarly difficult and vague task given to a young woman who won't stop following him around and taking anything not nailed down. Now, if he can just get out of this ruddy airport...

Defeat BUREAUCRACY and PHYSICS to make your escape from the town of Port Regis!

Make friends with amicable locals!

With a planned release at some stage in November or December, this game is still in its early phases, but as long as I don't suddenly find myself with a job, the progress on production is going remarkably quickly.

Mr Hurricane's trusty aircraft does not yet have a name! Can you think of something ADVENTUROUS and EXCITING and most of all NOT TRADEMARKED?

Tally-ho!

Eric

I am in like the proverbial Flynn on this one. It combines two of my great passions -- early aviation and adventure games! Best of luck to you as you make progress!

Sslaxx

Heh! Sequel to the Perfidious Petrol Station at all?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Anian

Wow, looks sweet.

Quote from: Technocrat on Tue 18/09/2012 17:30:26
Mr Hurricane's trusty aircraft does not yet have a name! Can you think of something ADVENTUROUS and EXCITING and most of all NOT TRADEMARKED?
There's an interesting name/noun I heard which would be good if it was a jet engine plane -> Contrail (oh, and apparently google says it's taken as well).
So my suggestions for aircraft names - maybe latin names of birds of prey like Buteo, Osprey, Pandion (or maybe Pandior, even if that version doesn't mean anything, just sounds cool), or maybe mythic like Boreas.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

selmiak

Tabata

Quote from: Technocrat on Tue 18/09/2012 17:30:26
My next soon-to-be-banned-in-Germany game ...

Noooo!   :shocked:

Please ensure that I'll get a version before this can happen. 

KodiakBehr

Annnnnnnnnd this just jumped the queue for my most awaited titles.

Fitz

I'd say Mudder would be a good name for this Fokker -- in the best tradition of naming planes after one's mother combined with unintentional innuendos. Notable examples include the plane that bombed Hiroshima -- Enola Gay.

KodiakBehr

Immediately reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3KU5eiEBo

"Innuendo", by the way, happens to make for a good plane name too.

Mati256

This game looks great. This new cartoonie stile suits you very well Technocrat.
The plane should be named after a girl, maybe "Happy Nancy".
My Blog! (En Español)

Technocrat

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 18/09/2012 20:06:09
I'd say Mudder would be a good name for this Fokker -- in the best tradition of naming planes after one's mother combined with unintentional innuendos. Notable examples include the plane that bombed Hiroshima -- Enola Gay.

Hm, that might be a good name for the enemy planes! Sounds a bit more like something the Luftwaffe would have than the RAF.

Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 18/09/2012 17:47:27
Heh! Sequel to the Perfidious Petrol Station at all?

It's kind of a sequel, just set seventy years earlier!

The first part (of three) is essentially complete (by my standards, so that means it's full of holes). Just two more, some mini-games, tidying up the graphics, the sound, the voices, the playtesting and the marketing to do. Almost there, in a manner of speaking.

Given how much I like money, and my desire to legitimise what I'm doing, I'm probably going to make this a commercial game. HOWEVER, I'm going to need a lot of voices/playtesters, and I reckon that anyone who participates as such can end up with a full-on finished version when it's done. Does that sound reasonable to people?

m0ds

It had slipped under the radar my end (until you told me it existed!) but got to say it does look very nice! Good luck Technocrat. That exterior shot has a lot going for it, a nice vibe! I look forward to the game!

Technocrat

Suffice to say, there's been a bit of a change in style since the last update...

I'd like to thank Worth Dayley for his character redesign work, and we'll soon be seeing some more improvements coming up in the backgrounds too.

If you want to stay right on top of it, there's always the development log (technocratgames.blogspot.co.uk), or Twitter! (@TechnocratGames)

Up, up, and away!

Anian

Woah, so streamline Disney design and Nancy lost a bit of the curvature in the upper area (and is a bit older than I thought she was from the sprite)? Interesting.
Looking forward to seeing this in pixeling form.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Technocrat

Quote from: Anian on Wed 01/05/2013 11:42:54
Woah, so streamline Disney design and Nancy lost a bit of the curvature in the upper area (and is a bit older than I thought she was from the sprite)? Interesting.
Looking forward to seeing this in pixeling form.

Well, it's sixty years earlier, so it may not be quite the same Nancy!

CaptainD

Nancy's legs are unnaturally long.  She is clearly a cyborg and you have decided to change the setting from World War II to a dystopian cyberpunk future.  Another tell-tale sign of her cyborg status is the fact that those shorts look sure be cut a normal human body in half.

Chicky

Oh noes! Are you ditching the pixels Technocrat? You were getting really good, the backgrounds are lovely :~(

Technocrat

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 04/05/2013 20:01:14
Oh noes! Are you ditching the pixels Technocrat? You were getting really good, the backgrounds are lovely :~(

Well, I'm not *completely* ditching them - just experimenting with a different approach for this game. Improvement's all well and good, but I want to make the leap all the way from "1991" to "1997" in terms of style!

Fitz

Six years seems like a giant leap -- but this looks most interesting. And 1997 is the year that the Curse of Monkey Island was released, so... color me intrigued!

Technocrat

Quote from: Fitz on Sun 05/05/2013 19:51:53
And 1997 is the year that the Curse of Monkey Island was released, so... color me intrigued!

Well spotted!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk