Jibble

Author Topic: Buy-R-Die  (Read 434 times)

Falsely

• Left their coffee cup in the shot.
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with story design
    • Falsely worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Buy-R-Die
« on: 06 Mar 2020, 11:27 »
Buy-R-Die
A short visual novel about a completely ordinary shopping trip.

It's eleven o'clock on an October night, and you desperately need groceries.
The good news is that there's a convenience store still open at this hour, and the slightly-grouchy cashier is willing to take your money.
The bad news is that they're having trouble with the lights.

...And there's a weird green glow coming from the freezer...

WIP Screenshots:

(Probable) Features:
  • A short (30~60 mins long?) visual novel that's three parts nonsense and one part horror
  • Survive one strange night with the help of a person who sells cereal for a living
  • Point-and-clicky interludes for all your shopping and escape route-y needs
  • Teen rating (Moderate violence, mature themes, mild spookyness, strong language)
  • 1280x720 resolution

Current Progress: (6th March, 2020)
While the skeleton of the game (story beats, mechanics, NPC portraits, some backgrounds, misc. thumbnails) is complete, it's still early days for the project. There's a whole lotta dialog left to be written, not to mention a lot of experimentation left to be done with puzzles.  I'm also not terribly happy with how some of the action scenes are currently being presented. While I'm not much of an animator, I'd like to do something beyond static images and text for this game. (I've got a few ideas in mind, but I'm not gonna get into that until I give it a try & see how do-able it is for a one person team!)

The extreme optimist in me is aiming for an October release, both because it's when the game is set and because it'll encourage me to keep things simple. But I'm also trying to finish up my degree this year, so 2021 seems much more likely.

Darth Mandarb

• Evil Sith Lord
  • Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Buy-R-Die
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2020, 14:25 »
Is this being made in AGS? Thanks for the update and good luck with the production!
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2020, 14:07 by Darth Mandarb »