What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Riding the Pulp tangent to a random sexual crescendo (laugh)

milkanannan

Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 09/08/2019 18:43:28
Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 18:05:46
Lol I only ask because I wouldn't be able to focus on anything (i.e. reading) if that were in my headphones, and if I walked around while listening to it I'd probably be in some headspace where death-staring everyone that goes by would seem appropriate.  (laugh)

Funny, I find it to be great background music, to the point that sometimes I'll even put on something like this when I want to take a nap :-D I guess it's such a pummeling wall of noise that at some point my brain just registers it as a drone!

Lol that's hilarious but yeah makes sense. Yeah can be hard to pick out the different parts of the music at times. Almost like white noise I guess.

milkanannan

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 22:50:10
@notarobotyet do you like Emperor?

Not really, no. Those keyboards and the generally "epic" feel of their music never quite clicked with me... In general I prefer my black metal either rougher around the edges, like Darkthrone or Mayhem, or way more experimental and twisted like Dodecahedron or early Blut Aus Nord. Emperor are, like, too mainstream, man :cool:

Creamy

Man n fist, I love how you balance Pulp with Emperor in your last two posts. It's quite a leap  :grin:

milkanannan

Haha actually if you read up the thread a little bit I'm writing in response to notarobot's post. It's their fault!  (laugh)

LimpingFish

Spotify is throwing random songs at me at the moment, based on my listening habits. And it's a fairly terrible algorithm, if I'm being honest. It's either songs that I listen to regularly (so why recommend them?), or songs that have the most tenuous of links to what I currently jive to. Bleh!

Anyway, at the moment it's...The Four Horsemen by Aphrodite's Child.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

dactylopus

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 22:27:29
Jack just embedding the video from your comment. Yeah I love this track too! Jarvis Cocker's lyrics are also always very clever:
This is a great track.

What I'm currently listening to:

Floor Baba - Neon Death

milkanannan

Cool one, dact. Loosely reminds me a bit of this new age music my parents used to listen to when I was a kid (I know some may find this horribly overproduced, but I can't help feeling nostalgic for it! (laugh) ):

milkanannan

Quote from: notarobotyet on Sat 10/08/2019 05:59:53
Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 22:50:10
@notarobotyet do you like Emperor?

Not really, no. Those keyboards and the generally "epic" feel of their music never quite clicked with me... In general I prefer my black metal either rougher around the edges, like Darkthrone or Mayhem, or way more experimental and twisted like Dodecahedron or early Blut Aus Nord. Emperor are, like, too mainstream, man :cool:

I get this feeling you could talk emphatically and at length about the nuances of black metal, which I have to say wins my award for most original skill of 2019.  :-D

milkanannan

OK I'm listening to Blut Aus Nord now:

fernewelten

Artificial noise: Midnight Bazaar

I also highly recommend the cat purring machine from the same website author (Stéphane Pigeon, Ph.D.), or for the more musical inclined, the Sleeping Dragon.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: fernewelten on Sun 11/08/2019 21:49:45
Artificial noise: Midnight Bazaar

I also highly recommend the cat purring machine from the same website author (Stéphane Pigeon, Ph.D.), or for the more musical inclined, the Sleeping Dragon.

The Sleeping Dragon is so cool! I can see myself swapping my white noise for this next time I want something soothing to fall asleep to ;-D

Quote from: man n fist on Sun 11/08/2019 20:45:25I get this feeling you could talk emphatically and at length about the nuances of black metal, which I have to say wins my award for most original skill of 2019.  :-D

I mean... any metalhead WILL give you a three-hour lecture on the nuances and little details of their favourite sub-sub-sub-genre if you give them the chance. It's just the way it is :-D

Quote from: man n fist on Sun 11/08/2019 20:51:21OK I'm listening to Blut Aus Nord now:

Non non non, erroné! I said "early" Blut Aus Nord. Here:

Like one commenter says, this is so out there that I'm not even sure it qualifies as metal anymore. Or music? But does it have to? ¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯

milkanannan

^That's a love ballad compared to the earlier track you posted. (laugh) For sure it's music but definitely pushing towards the border of "wait a sec is this actually noise?" Makes the listener explore some new emotions/headspace.

Alice Glass' stuff is not quite to that extreme but perhaps leaning in the direction:

Laura Hunt

Hehehe if you looped the first 4 seconds of that last song you posted, you might have something I'd be interested in. I used to be into noise, powerviolence and death industrial when I was a goth who didn't want to be called a goth so I got into the most extreme sub-scene I could find :-D I got out of there because it was so full of nazis, though... kind of like black metal but even more obvious because these dudes would straight up come out on stage dressed in uniform :-X It was super gross (and the "music" wasn't that amazing tbh, most of it was ooooo look at meeee shock valueeee I have a bunch of WWII samples and a distooooortion peeeedal oooooo) and once I realized that it was pretty much a breeding ground for white supremacists and incels (what did we even call them back then? "Pathetic inbred losers"?), I was like I'm sooo outta here.

Sigh... we'll never be young again.

milkanannan

^The interesting thing about this 'music' is it really does stir (at least in me) emotions and and feelings of horror, disorientation and helplessness, which I'm guessing is what the band was going after. Perhaps these are emotions incels and other types experience in day-to-day life when they engage contemporary society? (Not to get into it, but it is kind of an interesting discussion point.)

That's crazy about your sub-scene experiences! I thought that sort of death-metal-extreme-right hybrid culture was more Hollywood constructed than anything.

milkanannan

Rhapsody in Blue (from that opening scene in Manhattan with Woody Allen's narration - haha not entirely focused on the music, but I like the general combination of art in this opener!)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 12/08/2019 15:26:37
^The interesting thing about this 'music' is it really does stir (at least in me) emotions and and feelings of horror, disorientation and helplessness, which I'm guessing is what the band was going after. Perhaps these are emotions incels and other types experience in day-to-day life when they engage contemporary society? (Not to get into it, but it is kind of an interesting discussion point.)

I think it was more just... straight up the aesthetics and the lyrics? Most of these "bands" were just a guy or two in a suit or a uniform bashing a keyboard or a kettle drum while shouting about how everybody was a sheep except THEM and how THEY were the chosen ones and everybody else was barely sentient zombies except THEM. I think all that crap they were being sold about being part of a very special "elite" is what brought a huge majority of them in, reinforced by extremely limited and hand-numbered album editions and the like, which added to the "kult" aspect of it all and is something that a very specific subtype of dudes just LOVES (laugh)

Anyway, enough darkness and weirdness and noise, I'm going to finish this off with the super relaxing and soothing (for real) stuff I use for scripting/coding/level design/asking stupid technical questions on them here forums  :)

Jack

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 12/08/2019 12:58:40
(what did we even call them back then? "Pathetic inbred losers"?)

Neo-nazis. They're LARPers. I always wonder about these people who adopt an image that would make them look tough, obviously they themselves feel they are not tough enough, what is everyone else supposed to think? Guess they expect others to put as little thought into their life choices as they did.

The Man Comes Around

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk