What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Quote from: dactylopus on Sun 16/02/2020 14:12:46
Quote from: manannan on Sat 15/02/2020 05:22:38
Sent me down so many rabbit holes there. :-D We listened to the whole playlist of Radiodread's OK Computer cover, which was surprisingly amazing. I wouldn't have thought those tracks would crossover to reggae at all.

Thanks for the introduction to Yellow Magic Orchestra ~ love it! Daft Punk are clearly a degree of creative iteration on sounds of the YMO era.

In turn, maybe YMO took some influence from jazz fusion of the era:

I love that dated digital sound:

Thanks for posting some tracks.  I hadn't heard too much of Yellow Magic Orchestra, and love what you posted above.  And Chick Corea is such a great talent.  That's some good jazz.  Here's another Return to Forever / Chick Corea tune that I'm particularly fond of (from an album that reminds me of early King Crimson):

Radiodread is really cool, and I was surprised at first as well.  They also do the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  This is my favorite from the Beatles album (mostly because of what's different):

I'd check out Lovely Rita as well, if you have a chance.  They also have a full album cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon that matches the tempo all the way through so that you can do the Dark Side of Oz synchronicity with their album as the soundtrack.

And here are some tracks I was listening to as I composed this response:

You're Dead by Norma Tanega (heard this in What We Do in the Shadows)

H34T RISES by Nilüfer Yanya

808 State of Mind by Honey Dijon (featuring Shaun J Wright and Alinka)

Catching up on tracks from this thread with some lovely IPA's. ;) Dact, thanks for the intros. Honey Dijon reminds me of that unmistakable 90's New Age style, like Deep Forest, Enigma, etc, 2000-era dot com nerds all the way! (laugh)

How about some surf rock (yes, THAT Pulp Fiction track (laugh) love it!):

TheFrighter

The funkiest track of Pet Shop Boys since now. They're getting old but still clubbin'.

_

milkanannan

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 05/03/2020 18:19:53

The funkiest track of Pet Shop Boys since now. They're getting old but still clubbin'.

_

Haha long reign the dynasty! :-D Let me share the track that introduced me to them:

milkanannan

milkanannan

So today I learned Dusty Springfield is actually not American, but British...but born to Irish parents, of which her father was born in British India. #themoreyouknow

milkanannan

Snarky

Nice pick with the Pet Shop Boys, Frighter. From my playlist today:

https://youtu.be/4DqGfIkxBxw

milkanannan

Ironic Snarky ~ just had this on and thought it would be a good share:

milkanannan

TheFrighter

Hah, I understand the connection: Badalamenti conducted the orchestra in some PSB's song during the EMI years! Strange thing their actual producer Stuart Price don't provide them at least a string section...

Now about soundtrack here's a classic:

_

Click'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTFCud1qpk

I never played this game but the song got stuck in my head. Not because it's any good. It just did.

milkanannan

Frighter, cool track. I hear echoes of it in some of Sting's stuff, i.e. the outro session here from 4 minutes onwards:

Laura Hunt

I guess this is the kind of stuff nobody else around here likes lol, but I can't stop listening to the new Ulcerate single. sO GOOD.

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 26/03/2020 21:26:35
I guess this is the kind of stuff nobody else around here likes lol, but I can't stop listening to the new Ulcerate single. sO GOOD.

The real hero of tracks like these is the drummer. How in hell can they keep a double kick going that long?! (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk