Background Blitz - 30th August - 16th September [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by UnLady, Fri 30/08/2013 09:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

UnLady

Hello folks! The new Blitz topic is here, and it's all about the books.

It can be anything, from a library to a room in which a book, or a shelf with books, is an important element, to even a place in a book, as soon at it is somehow formally obvious the action is taking place inside the book.

Please include a short description of what is going on in the scene, what the character/characters would be like (not necessary to draw them), what the larger story of the game would be and what would be this particular scene's place in the whole scheme of events. Just a few words to define your world, I wouldn't be asking for a complete game scenario, that's a different contest category :).

Here are a few examples, but please don't let them restrain your imagination in any way. So go book crazy, I can't wait to see the results!

Entries submission: August 30th - September 15th.

Voting: September 16th - September 22nd.

(Please let me know if you need/want an extension, I'll be happy to oblige)

Voting categories.

I've taken the liberty of tweaking the classical ones a bit. So we'll have:

1) Story Elements/Idea - How well fleshed out and interesting the story is, how original the idea of both the background and the story behind it.
2) Atmosphere - How strong it is in terms of mood and feeling.
3) Technique and composition - The quality of drawing in terms of rendering technique and design rules (or voluntary breaking thereof).
4) Functionality - how well it would work as a background; clearly defined exits, walkable areas, highlighting of points of interest.

Restrictions: none; anything goes.

PS. Where I'm trying to go with this: I'd really, really like to see is a bit of concept behind the background, a vague idea of what the game would be about and what would be going on in the particular room you are proposing and to see a bit how that influences the drawing.
PPS. As it is my very first Blitz proposal, any feedback on the theme choice and contest parameters is more than welcome.
I think, therefore I am, I think.

WHAM

I feel like drawing something, so count me in.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Snarky

Great topic, and I think I have a cool idea, so (schedule permitting) I'm in!

Also, this is an excellent excuse to post this gallery:

TGames

TGames

for this one i went with a cartoony approach

The characters will be the same with a black outline and no shading.
The story is that you have to travel to an ancient temple to get the sacred book before the darkness covers up the land

jwalt

Ever since Alicia and Alfred Silverfish moved into their new digs at the Public Library, Alicia has had a feeling of impending doom. Perhaps an Astrology reading using that nearby Astrolabe would calm her fears. Or, make them worse?

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/pngSeptBlitz_zpsa2d7cdd6.png[/imgzoom]

Working at rigging the bug in Anim8or. Not complete, by any means:

Modeled in sPatch, and rendered in Bryce 7. Folks, don't forget that Coloring Ball is also in progress!

UnLady

Sweet! Two entries already!

Great work, jwalt and TGames.

Anian

I'll try to finish and paint this over:

WIP1:

WIP 2:

FINAL:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/qdHD4Lg.png[/imgzoom]

Things are going rather slow (my shoulder is messed up a bit), when the paint over is done, I plan to rework the image a bit in PS (fix the colors and some effects maybe). There's a even a story to go with it, but I'm still figuring out if I want to turn into a game or not. It includes broken families, priests, murders and a dash of the creepy occult and witches.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

UnLady

Oh, that looks lovely, Anian! Can't wait to see the final picture and to read the story!

As for the contest, there's one day left, if anyone wants an extension of the deadline, in order to finish a contribution, just let me know, and we'll negotiate.

Cheers, folks, and happy drawing.

frenzykitty

Anian- Is your workflow to model in 3D, and then hand draw over everything?

Anian

Quote from: frenzykitty on Sun 15/09/2013 14:14:14
With some things, yes. Keeping the perspective correct, some basic arraying of items and also light calculation is far easier with 3d. In this I kind of didn't keep much of the 3d, the render is just a sketch, but if I were just painting over and colorizing, there'd be more usage off the AO and far less antialiasing in the render.

Snarky

It's been an incredibly busy couple of weeks, and I haven't had the time to work on my idea. Maybe next time!

Armageddon

Quote from: Anian on Sun 15/09/2013 16:12:24
Quote from: frenzykitty on Sun 15/09/2013 14:14:14
With some things, yes. Keeping the perspective correct, some basic arraying of items and also light calculation is far easier with 3d. In this I kind of didn't keep much of the 3d, the render is just a sketch, but if I were just painting over and colorizing, there'd be more usage off the AO and far less antialiasing in the render.
What 3D modeling program do you use?

WHAM

Efff! I had all the time in the world but, beyond a very generic library that was so boring I decided not to finish it, no good ideas and no progress.
I'm out! :(
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

UnLady

Ok, folks, time's up. We have three lovely entries, grouped below for easier browsing.

------------------------

TGames

The characters will be the same with a black outline and no shading.
The story is that you have to travel to an ancient temple to get the sacred book before the darkness covers up the land.

-------------------------

Jwalt

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/pngSeptBlitz_zpsa2d7cdd6.png[/imgzoom]

Ever since Alicia and Alfred Silverfish moved into their new digs at the Public Library, Alicia has had a feeling of impending doom. Perhaps an Astrology reading using that nearby Astrolabe would calm her fears. Or, make them worse?

--------------------------

Anian

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/qdHD4Lg.png[/imgzoom]

There's a even a story to go with it, but I'm still figuring out if I want to turn into a game or not. It includes broken families, priests, murders and a dash of the creepy occult and witches.

--------------------------

Here's a recap of the categories:

1) Story Elements/Idea - How well fleshed out and interesting the story is, how original the idea of both the background and the story behind it.
2) Atmosphere - How strong it is in terms of mood and feeling.
3) Technique and composition - The quality of drawing in terms of rendering technique and design rules (or voluntary breaking thereof).
4) Functionality - how well it would work as a background; clearly defined exits, walkable areas, highlighting of points of interest.

Let the voting begin! (Voting ends September 22nd.)

CaptainD

Story Elements/Idea - JWalt
Atmosphere - JWalt
Technique and composition -Anian (I like JWalt's image but the perspective looks kind of off to me)
Functionality - JWalt (clearly for traditional 2.5D, Anian's would work better, but with the characters already in place, you can really see how JWalt's idea would work.)

I'm most interested to see if JWalt's idea turns into an actual game! 8-)

cat

Story Elements/Idea - Jwalt
Atmosphere - Anian
Technique and composition - Anian
Functionality - Anian

Anian

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 16/09/2013 03:33:32What 3D modeling program do you use?
3ds max 2012, managed to get a legit copy of it, plus I'm a "3d studio max associate" (took a basic class and exam), couldn't make myslef learn Blender for example.

Armageddon

Quote from: Anian on Mon 16/09/2013 14:57:43
Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 16/09/2013 03:33:32What 3D modeling program do you use?
3ds max 2012, managed to get a legit copy of it, plus I'm a "3d studio max associate" (took a basic class and exam), couldn't make myslef learn Blender for example.
How did you get a legit copy? That's what I used but I signed up for a student thing that expires in a few years I think.

Stupot

Story Elements/Idea - Jwalt
Atmosphere - Jwalt
Technique and composition - Anian
Functionality - Anian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk