Background Blitz: Fan Game Location (voting open through 3/3/2014)

Started by Snarky, Thu 06/02/2014 00:35:57

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

Concept: Mad - Goonies (I love the movie, and the idea of paying as each Goonie is really cool.  Plus, that's a great puzzle that always stuck out to me as perfect for an adventure game.)

Artistic Execution: selmiak - Kill Bill (This was done really well in a classic pixel style.  The color choices are excellent, as is the composition.  Fantastic idea, as well.)

Playability: Miez - Jack Vance's Durdane (Originally thought about this for Artistic Execution, but I think I'll give it Playability.  I do see it having a lot of versatility in a game.)

Lasca

Alright, my votes:

Concept: Daniel Eakins. That would make a brilliant game! I loved that movie when I was a kid (and still do).

Artistic Execution: Selmiak. Great use of few colours and great composition. Makes me wish I'd done my background in lower resolution. (If this was a character blitz, I would definitly vote for Mad. Love them!)

Playability: Miez. I want to know what's on that billboard. Who's that purple guy? And where does the baloon go!?

Snarky: Eeh... yeah... It's really not a detective movie... But the game could be!! However, you should watch the movie. I love it! and thanks!

Eric: That Darjeeling Coach isn't crappy! Would have loved to see it finished.

Daniel Eakins

Concept: Mad. With all the different characters, The Goonies would definitely make a great adventure!

Artistic Execution: Miez. Woah, this background looks as good as the old classics! The palette, the dithering, the composition... everything looks perfect.

Playability: Miez. This screen is like Last Crusade meets Simon the Sorcerer or something. It looks full of hotspots and I can already imagine a fun, one-maybe-two-room puzzle involving getting past the guard. Seeing the airship move would be an awesome reward for completing the puzzle.
We all have our time machines, don't we?

Monsieur OUXX

I won't be voting, and here is why :

- at first I wanted to vote for the guys who got less votes, because the level of quality is so high that it wouldn't fair for them not to get any votes just because a handful of backgrounds are slightly better
- then I still wanted to vote for the best ones, because I noticed that the votes were quite balanced, and it wouldn't be fair if the really best ones didn't win.

In the end I thought: they're all so good, in their own way. Let it be, and congratulations to all the competitors, you put some prettiness (and an awful wish to play those games) in our day!

selmiak

Concept
Daniel Eakins: The Twelve Tasks of Asterix
I'd love to play that and also great piece of work.

Artistic Execution
oraxon
nice one, and very hard to chose.

Playability
gameboy
"Oh! I wonder what would happen if I..." absolutely fits here. at first I was a bit disappointed that there are no fun interactions with the heads and blood and so on screen already so this is the perfect category for this screen.

Snarky

Just a reminder that voting ends tomorrow (along with the AGS Awards voting!), so if you haven't done it yet, don't put it off!

Snarky

OK, the voting is over, and after tallying them up, the winner is Miez, with 9 votes. Second place is a three-way tie between Mad, oraxon and Daniel Eakins, with 5 votes each.

Really strong field this time around, and most of the entries could easily have won in any other round of the Blitz. So congratulations to all contestants.

Take it away, Miez!

Miez

Whoo! Thanks all! ;-D And congratulations to all participants - all entries were pretty damn cool!
I do feel a bit naughty, winning with an entry that was basically too late. :-[

I'll come up with a new BB soon...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk