connecting .agf AGS-Project files to the 3.3.0 Editor on Win7

Started by selmiak, Mon 03/03/2014 11:20:59

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

I hope this thread belongs here and not in Editor scripting questions.

I unzipped all the files of AGS 3.3.0 onto my HDD and it runs like it should from where I placed these files when clicking ASGEditor.exe. But when I click on an AGS project's main *.agf files win7 doesn't know what to do with it. At first win7 opened the files with 3.2.1 as I still had it installed. As I want to use 3.3.0 now I just deleted the 3.2.1 files as I found no uninstall, so win7 couldn't open *.agf files with AGS 3.2.1 anymore and I get the 'open file with?' dialog window. I navigate to the AGS 3.3.0 folder and chose AGSEditor.exe. I click it and nothing happens, the AGS Editor is not added to the list of programs win7 tries to open the filetype with. The AGS runtime engine can be selected though and now is connected to *.agf files, but that doesn't work and I get an error everytime clicking an *.agf file.
What do I do? How can I delete wrong entries from the open filetype with-list and how can I connect .agf files to AGSEditor 3.3.0?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 03/03/2014 11:20:59
I hope this thread belongs here and not in Editor scripting questions.
This belongs to "Using Windows" questions :P

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs#1TC=windows-7
Does this help? What you describe (" I click it and nothing happens, the AGS Editor is not added to the list of programs win7 tries to open the filetype with") sounds strange...

selmiak

Sadly this doesn't work, the AGS editor just doesn't show up in the list of available programs to open the .agf files with. Only the runtime shows up and this throws an error.
I used the zip file to "install" 3.3.0 and the .exe installer and it's not working either way. I can open .agf files from the editor of course but it's still annoying that this doesn't work.

Crimson Wizard

I don't understand, usually there's "Browse" button in those dialog windows which lets you select any program. Have you tried to open filetype connection dialog and browse to AGSEditor.exe? Maybe you need to run the tool as administrator (not sure)?

Other than that, launch regedit and look into:
+ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+ AGSGameSource
+ shell
+ open
+ command
Change the "(Default)" value to the new editor path, should be something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\AGSEDITOR.EXE" "%1"

selmiak

The editor just doesn't appear in the open with dialog window. I don't understand it either, thus the thread.

I follow you on the regedit until +shell
what does this mean?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 05/03/2014 23:36:52
The editor just doesn't appear in the open with dialog window. I don't understand it either, thus the thread.
Just to double check. Here's a screenhot of "Open with" dialog:

In the lower part there's "Browse" button. You say that you used it to choose AGSEditor and it still did not put the exe into the list for programs to choose from? Yes, that's very strange, on my PC I was able to choose even a test console application I wrote, although that can't run anything.
Maybe there's an issue with security permissions on yours?
I found this article that explanes things in more details, it also gives some info about registry:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/take-control-of-your-windows-7-open-with-menus/5551/

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 05/03/2014 23:36:52
I follow you on the regedit until +shell
what does this mean?
Problem is there are different ways this may be written in registry.

Try to do following:
1. Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / .agf (mind the "." before "agf").
2. What is written in the "(Default)" value is a reference to info about opening this file type.
If you ever installed AGS normally, but never uninstalled it properly, it should say "AGSGameSource".
If you tried to manually set another program to open the file with, it may say "agf_auto_file"
In some other case it may say "(value not set)" (or does not say anything). In such case you may manually put one of those (perhaps "agf_auto_file" is better).
3. Find the appropriate tag inside same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section and make sure there's following nodes made inside (you may create missing ones by hand):
+ AGSGameSource | or agf_auto_file
+ shell
+ open
+ command
For "command" set path to value - e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\AGSEDITOR.EXE" "%1"

One more question though: why don't you just use an installer? ;)

Monsieur OUXX

selmiak this is purely a Windows question!
You're making clippy cry tears of blood. :D

selmiak

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 06/03/2014 08:28:04

In the lower part there's "Browse" button. You say that you used it to choose AGSEditor and it still did not put the exe into the list for programs to choose from? Yes, that's very strange, on my PC I was able to choose even a test console application I wrote, although that can't run anything.
Maybe there's an issue with security permissions on yours?
I found this article that explanes things in more details, it also gives some info about registry:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/take-control-of-your-windows-7-open-with-menus/5551/
exactly this happens, I chose the editor from the open with browse dialog and it just doesn't get added to the open with window selection view.
I tried the OpenWithView program, there AGSEditor shows up but I can't connect it to any filetypes or extensions, or am I missing something?

Problem is there are different ways this may be written in registry.

Try to do following:
1. Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / .agf (mind the "." before "agf").
2. What is written in the "(Default)" value is a reference to info about opening this file type.
If you ever installed AGS normally, but never uninstalled it properly, it should say "AGSGameSource".
If you tried to manually set another program to open the file with, it may say "agf_auto_file"
In some other case it may say "(value not set)" (or does not say anything). In such case you may manually put one of those (perhaps "agf_auto_file" is better).
3. Find the appropriate tag inside same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section and make sure there's following nodes made inside (you may create missing ones by hand):
+ AGSGameSource | or agf_auto_file
+ shell
+ open
+ command
For "command" set path to value - e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\AGSEDITOR.EXE" "%1"
.agf files was set to agf_auto_file, I deleted this, no change, still the same programs get recommended, but not AGSEditor.
I don't get 3.
After deleting the agf_auto_file it say:
.agf - name: Standard - Type: REG_SZ - Data: no value set
How do I create notes in regedit? what do you mean with appropriate tag inside same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section

One more question though: why don't you just use an installer? ;)
As I said above, I used the .zip first, as this didn't work I used the installer to write some stuff into the registry automatically, but still no effect. I first installed it on a second partition and now I uninstalled AGS from there and installed it on a system partition, still not showing up in the open with window.

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 06/03/2014 09:39:45
selmiak this is purely a Windows question!
You're making clippy cry tears of blood. :D

I want to punch clippy in the face because crappy windows doesn't work. Then he can cry more tears of blood  :-D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 06/03/2014 10:55:57
.agf files was set to agf_auto_file, I deleted this, no change, still the same programs get recommended, but not AGSEditor.
I don't get 3.
After deleting the agf_auto_file it say:
.agf - name: Standard - Type: REG_SZ - Data: no value set
How do I create notes in regedit? what do you mean with appropriate tag inside same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section
Wait, you are doing wrong thing. Why did you deleted "agf_auto_file"?
Okay, again:
1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /.agf - set "(Default)" value to "agf_auto_file".
2. Ensure following nodes exist (right click to call context menu, New -> Key to create node):
+ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+ agf_auto_file
+ shell
+ open
+ command
In command set "(Default)" to path, as shown in example above.

selmiak

I have no idea what I'm doing, here is a screenshot of how it looks atm

just rebooted, still when I click game.agf the open with dialog window opens (and no AGSEditor.exe in it).

Crimson Wizard

No.

It should be:
+ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+ .agf

and
+ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+ agf_auto_file
+ shell
+ open
+ command

separately

(Create "agf_auto_file" key by clicking on root node (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT))

selmiak

wohah, it works. Thanks a lot CW!!!
The installer created that second  agf_auto_file key already but made it \Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0 and not my userdefined \AGS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk