A math problem!

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 01/03/2014 23:57:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Frank has 100.000 dollars. He gives that money to a danish guy who wants to open a restaurant. For that, Frank receives food stamps for the restaurant worth 150.000 dollars. These stamps, Frank sells for 75000 dollars. How stupid is Frank?
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

selmiak

he is not hungry enough!

Gurok

On the surface, I would be tempted to say very stupid, but he got $100,000 somehow. Perhaps he had some intelligence and he just invested poorly this once.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

CaptainD

Are they all the same type of dollars?  Maybe he's playing with currency exchange?  Or does he manage to sell them after he's actually used them?

Khris

Based on a true story?

Stupot

It depends how you parse the ambiguous phrase 'receives food stamps for the restaurant worth 150,000 dollars'.

Are the food stamps worth 150,000 dollars or is the restaurant.  If it's the latter then we are never actually told how many dollars worth of food stamps he is given.  In that case may well have made a tidy profit on his food stamps, so he's not that stupid.   Although, he's still several grand down on his initial investment :/

[Edit]
Or... answer two: not stupid at all.  In fact very fucking wise indeed.

You've used a decimal point rather than a comma in 150.000 and 100.000 so (in English anyway) Frank only gave the Danish guy $100 and got $150 worth of coupons which he sold for $75000 making a 500% profit :-D

Andail

Pretty stupid; selling something worth 150 bucks for 75000 surely qualifies as some kind of fraud, and will make him appear dishonest.

Mouth for war

Haha not based on a true story afaik. Fun to read your answers. As you understand i was a little bored last night :-D

mkennedy

Quote from: Andail on Sun 02/03/2014 12:14:43
Pretty stupid; selling something worth 150 bucks for 75000 surely qualifies as some kind of fraud, and will make him appear dishonest.

Only if he gets caught and sent to prison for it, would it make him stupid.
But if he gets away with it then he's just like your Goldman Sachs.
That's the glory that is free market capitalism! :grin:

Wyz

I guess Frank's found a perfect scheme to launder his money; no one will be able to track back those food stamps. (nod)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

Are you waiting for more guesses, Mouth for war? Can we have a clue? :-D

Mouth for war

Oh my opinion is that he's very stupid! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk