Mudlarks

Started by Problem, Sun 13/04/2014 15:04:00

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

tinytim:
Spoiler
have you tried using the metal detector on the locket discovery area?
[close]

shredingskin: Sorry about that bug, that's something that we missed completely with the first two releases, a lot of people are reporting it now :S we've fixed it in the latest release, but i dont think old saved games will work with it. With v1.0 and 1.2 of Mudlarks I would really recommend saving quite often, sorry this is a bit late for you :(
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

sthomannch

Now in basement of church. I restarted with version 1.3...

I have
Spoiler

destroyed the machine, opened the panel and put the wire from the drawer. I also have this piece of metal that fell apart. Cannot get the part that flew into the puddle, only hit it. Cannot do anything with the slabs, mound or door. Used the keypad and something happened (noise of cogwheel or so after I typed in the date from the letter, that is, 1938)
[close]
Btw I enjoy this game a lot, well done!

shaun9991

Spoiler
type in the full date from the letter onto the keypad, 10111938 , then the door should open. you can then go outside. pick up the meteor and note that it is magnetic...
[close]
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

lori.h

I'm stuck trying to see the pub owner.

Spoiler
I have a doctors coat, but can't figure out who to use it on and Winston won't put it on himself.
[close]

I'm not even sure what is what I should be focusing on. I may also need to get the barmaids name.
Help please?

shaun9991

Lori:
Spoiler
Winston needs to get to the pub owner before the Dr coat comes into play. Get barmaid name by interacting with magazines beside her
[close]

lori.h

oh. whoops! Thanks!

Tinytim

In the church the picture puzzle is timed. It took me 15 seconds to hit all the spots. Is there a particular order?
ps I have the game set on the slowest speed.
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

Mike the Wino

Hi, I'd like to include a screen shot of an error message I'm getting in this game, but I can't seem to get the "Insert Image" function to work for me. It is a jpg file on my desktop, and it's about 70kb. I tried entering the file path in the "Insert Image" dialog box, but when I go to preview it, the image doesn't show up. Is this function not working, or am I doing something wrong?

Secondly, I probably need to download the latest version as I'm playing v1.0.0.1, but will I be able to use my v1.0 saved games in the latest version, or will I have to start over?

Turns out I am playing v1.3. The bug I've run into is early in the game...after the cop leaves the river front, Winston heads for the pub looking for his buddy. Every time I try to have him enter the pub, the game crashes and I get the error I mentioned above. Since I can't seem to find a way to upload the image of the error, here is what it says:

An Error has occurred. Please contact the game author....(blah blah blah)....then it goes on with (ACI version 3.21.1115) in "room22.asc", line 43....then Error: Error running function 'hHotspot2_WalkOn':....then Error: Null pointer referenced

Is there a way to avoid this crash?
"Life is too short to drink bad wine!" -- Unknown

shaun9991

Hi Mike

I'm sorry you've had this error. I havent encountered anyone having this error before, and cant seem to replicate it, so Im not sure whats happening. My only theory is perhaps if you tried to load a saved game from a different version? I have uploaded 2 save files to Dropbox, its for version 1.3, one is for just outside the pub before you go in, and the other is just after you go in. Hopefully these will work for you, if they do I would recommend deleting your other saved games just in case. Does anybody else know why this might be happening?
Save files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsakgjz0q96gfwn/agssave.009
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1yvqpqd1sh50d5/agssave.010

shaun9991

Tinytim:
Spoiler

The only order is that you have to hit the hand in the centre first, then all the other points can be in any order. I think the timer was set at 10seconds for default speed
[close]

Mike the Wino

Quote from: shaun9991 on Wed 23/04/2014 22:09:51
My only theory is perhaps if you tried to load a saved game from a different version?
The only version of the game I ever installed is 1.3, so that can't be the issue. Is there some way for me to send you my saved game file of just before Winston tries to enter the pub to see if it happens to you? If it doesn't, that would point to a conflict with a driver or something on my system....

I went ahead and loaded both of the saved game files you provided into my game folder, and with 009 the same thing happened....it crashed with the same error message. With 010, I was able to interact inside the pub, but if I went back out and tried to re-enter, it crashed again. Weird.

shaun9991

Hi

Depending on what version of Windows you are using, there should be a folder called My Saved Games or Saved Games in My Documents, or the folder on the desktop that is named the name of your computer. Mudlarks should be in there. Copy and paste the saved games into it

You could send me your saved game as an attachment to saitcheson@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

Mike the Wino

Hi Shaun,

I figured out how to add them to the game folder.....see my edit above. I will send you my saved game just prior to entering the pub. If you come up with anything, please reply to that email.

Cheers!  Mike

shaun9991

I've tested Mike's save game and it works fine for me. Does anybody know why this error message would be coming up?

"An Error has occurred. Please contact the game author....(blah blah blah)....then it goes on with (ACI version 3.21.1115) in "room22.asc", line 43....then Error: Error running function 'hHotspot2_WalkOn':....then Error: Null pointer referenced"

I've pasted the actual code here, with line 43 in bold

function hHotspot2_WalkOn()
{

if(jukeboxplaying){
    aJuke.Play(eAudioPriorityHigh, eRepeat);
    juke = aJuke.Play(eAudioPriorityHigh, eRepeat);
    juke.Volume = 10;
    aNightcity.Stop();
    cEgo.ChangeRoom(21, 550, 553);
  }

else if(simongone){
   aNightcity.Stop();
  }
  else{
    aBubblepiano.Play(eAudioPriorityHigh, eRepeat);
    bubble = aBubblepiano.Play(eAudioPriorityHigh, eRepeat);
  bubble.Volume = 20;
  aNightcity.Stop();
}}

Mike the Wino

Okay, I feel reeeeeeally dumb! I just realized what the problem is. After I downloaded the game, I unzipped all the game files to a folder on my desktop. To make things easy on myself, I then dragged the Mudlarks.exe file to my desktop, leaving the VOX file in the original folder. Therefor, I had no music playing as I tried to enter the pub, which because of the way the game is coded, it crashed when it couldn't find the audio coding.

Moral of the story: Leave all game files in the same folder!

Sorry. You may now call off the hounds.

Tinytim

Thanks Shaun, I'll try again.
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

Mike the Wino

I seem to be overwriting my saved games without meaning to. For whatever reason, I can't save more than six times, and no matter which saved game I hi-light and backspace the name of so I can create a new saved game, one of the two last ones I saved gets over-written. It seems earlier I had eight slots, now just six. Have I forgotten how to save properly? What am I doing wrong?

By the way, this is really a fun, funky game! It took a bit to get used to the graphic "style", but it's really growing on me, and the dialog is hilarious! Good job!

Mike the Wino

Quote from: shaun9991 on Wed 23/04/2014 22:12:02
Tinytim:
Spoiler

The only order is that you have to hit the hand in the centre first, then all the other points can be in any order. I think the timer was set at 10seconds for default speed
[close]
I also have the speed set all the way down, and am at a loss how to get past this.
Spoiler
Jobos said the hot spots have a click, but no matter where or what I hit after the center hand, nothing else "clicks". Why is there no feedback that you've hit a correct spot?
[close]
Spoiler
Do all the spots have to be touched while the clock is showing? If so, even at the slowest speed the clock (timer?) disappears after only about 3-5 seconds. Or does the timer keep going if you keep touching different triggers?
[close]

jojo

Mike:
The relief puzzle was tricky for me as well..hope this helps. 

suggestion-
Spoiler
try out a trial run without rushing..with headphones on, earbuds whatever avail so you can listen well for the clicks.  Try clicking the spots jobos mentioned..(the mans HAND on right side is one I believe) Main hand pointing up is first- LOUD click- the other 11 spots sound very light, more like a soft crunch as you click around you should be able to tell which areas are completely silent, and which spots ..'crunch'..then once you get all the right spots down, exit and retry it timed. You can do it
[close]

Tinytim

I'm afraid the relief puzzle has beaten me, try as I might I can't hit the hotspots in time. I can only hear the first click and nothing else despite trying Jojo's suggestion. I know it's me but I don't like arcade games, ( how sad I hear you cry ) and for me this has ruined a great game that I was thoroughly enjoying. :sad:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk