AGS Traslation Utilitys

Started by JpGames, Wed 17/06/2015 23:03:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JpGames

Hi everyone;

Im just returning to this comunnity after many years of absence. Maybe, i still have the dream to make the "perfect" adventure game.
I just started offering my help to translate into spanish some games. Space Quest, decision of the elders, is the first one, and i found that it will be a huge task since the game have +3000 lines to tanslate. So, as a software developer, i decided to create a tool to make this work easier: AGSTU.

What the app will have? How it will work?

- Find empty characters function: which character is never used in the Default language? AGSTU will help you find this (usefull if the game use SCI fonts)
- Replace character function: If the game use SCI fonts, you will need edit the font to add special characters for different languages. AGSTU will change , for example, every "ñ" in the character number you choose. (done)
- Line by line editing: You can visualize just one line at the time, to avoid confussions and source file corruptions. (already done)
- Suggested translation: It will include a dictionary to auto-translate the line as a suggestion; if the translation is perfect, then the user just need one click to acept the sugested one. Also, the dictionary will be updated at runtime if the user wants. (to be implemented)
- Translations as separated projects: Every translation will be one different project in AGSTU. (to be implemented)
- Simultaneous multi language translations: You can translate the game to more than one language at the same time. (to be implemented if it is really useful)

Are there any other functionally someone believe need to be included?

Thanks for your time.

Monsieur OUXX

It's nice you're making a tool to work around the SCI fonts limitations and automate the usual solutions, but you should read the following article, nowadays most people would probably use a WFN font, because it allows 256 characters: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Fonts
(the solution you're describing is "the hacker's strategy")

JpGames

Well, font managing is only one (not the most relevant) utility included in AGSTU. When it is finished, it will be able to automatically translate a entire game in few seconds. Not a perfect translation, but one that will only need some adjustments.

The language database will include:
English, Spanish, German, French and Italian.

Im actuallu outdated about the AGS editor. Maybe i could include the "compile" option to autogenerate the .TRA files directly?

Monsieur OUXX

You are discussing two separate issues here:
1) The character swapping in the font file
2) the translation files and associated features (automated translation, etc.)

For issue 1, as I said, it would be better to go the WFN path rather than the SCI path.
For issue 2, I have no particular suggestion. Your ideas are cool, go with them! :)

Crimson Wizard

Since AGS 3.0 the Editor supports plugin components written in C#. Two good example of created plugins are:
* SpeechCenter: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45622.0
* WFN Font Editor: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48527.0

If possible, this is probably more convenient (for the end-user) way to add functionality to AGS.

EDIT: there was also a Translation Editor (I am not sure if its integrated with SpeechCenter too):
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46417.0

JpGames

The translation editor looks a lot like the program i want develop now, but it do not have the auto-translation feature that i will try to include. It actually gave me some ideas for my own project.
Yes, it is a lot more usefull to just use WFN fonts if you are creating your game rigth now, but there a lot of old games which used SCI fonts. If they are going to be translated now, they will need the exchange tool.
Also, i need now yet if a standalone program could compile the TRS files to TRA ones.

SpeechCenter

Tools for developers are always a good thing.
Yes, the Speech Center plugin includes editing capability of translations. The standalone utility is there in case you'd like to edit the TRS file directly (e.g., your translator really doesn't know AGS or only interested in translating). Both options have value, depending on the use case.

Based on the description above, do I understand correctly that the plan is to use word-by-word translation in the auto-translation? In my experience dictionary is useful for lookup, but translating a whole sentence like that usually doesn't result with reasonable grammar.
In the past I considered integrating with online translation services, but most services I found required payment and/or had significant restrictions in their TOS, but maybe you found a service that is more useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk