Mah furst game! (sort of)

Started by ramiman, Wed 31/07/2002 07:18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

ramiman

My first pseudo-demo. The map screen captions are in French, since this started originally as a project for my French class. Some things are broken as well, i.e. don't go into the salon until you've done everything else, as you become stuck in the top of the screen, though you can talk to the guy and everything. I'll fix that when I get a chance.

Download from my site, since they dont allow offsite linking:
http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/rams/files.htm (click the France Quest(working title) link, its about 1.4mb)

I couldnt figure out how to code it so you dont get to the salon until you've read the newspaper. And the game crashes if you use the trash can too many times, since the coding for that interaction was problematic as well.
But remember to look at and use everything, I don't want all that time I spent thinking and typing up mildly witty messages to go to waste, now. :) Enjoy!

Layabout

I am Jean-Pierre.

ramiman

Well uf kurz ah kin spel! Yew think ah'm a duhmbayss er sumfin?

ramiman

But in all seriousness, I'd appreciate any feedback anyone is willing to give, so download away!

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

ramiman

Actually I was just hoping to get enough feedback to see whether its worth finishing or not. I wonder if i slapped on 'Demo' to the end of its name if that would make it a legitimate game?

This can't be very good. My first project is met with unadulterated antagonism. Hmm.

Esseb

I actually couldn't download it. Copy paste, drag&drop to adress bar and all.

Oh well.

ramiman

Thats really strange. I just tested out the link after reading your post (to France Quest) and it worked fine. Maybe try again? I hope you tried simply clicking the link :)

Esseb

ramiman

Oh goody. :) Feel free to post any feedback, criticisms, or thoughts you might have.

This is more of a test than anything, so don't expect TOO much from it, it tends to get crashy sometimes.

ramiman

I dunno if this is a frowned-upon tactic, but I'm just posting to keep this topic near the top of the forum, as I don't want it to be forgotten till at least a few people have told me what they think :)

ramiman

uh... could someone take 5-10 minutes to plz dl my game cause i'd really like some feedback on the fruit of my labors.

Esseb

Heh, I downloaded it, just forgot to play it. I'll do so in a bit.

rsgortat

OK. The game looks great. But once I get into the salon, I am stuck. Evidently, the character is not on a walkable area, and I can't leave.  I tried to read the paper but nothing happens.  Would like to play it  of I could!

Ralph

m0ds

Ralph! Good to see you're around!

Ramiman, I shall download ASAP and play!

:)
m0ds

ramiman

haha, like i said, there are quite a few kinks that need to be worked out. One of the primary coding issues was being able to make an inventory that would allow me to interact with inventory items, hence unlocking the salon and making a bum appear in the alley. It (obviously) didnt work. I guess ill post the bad code to the Tech Forum later. The character not on a walkable area was simply an oversight. But this is just for suggestions, i.e. on room design, bad jokes, etc. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk