Author Topic: Porting to Allegro 5  (Read 10979 times)

Monsieur OUXX

• Mittens Vassal
  • Cavefish
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Monsieur OUXX worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Monsieur OUXX worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Porting to Allegro 5
« Reply #40 on: 19 Mar 2015, 13:22 »
Oh, and Visual Studio is terrible. I'm on the verge of abandoning it because of its horrific implementation of the C++ standard. >:(

Please don't :)

Monsieur OUXX

• Mittens Vassal
  • Cavefish
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    •  
    • Monsieur OUXX worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #41 on: 19 Mar 2015, 13:44 »
monkey, did you consider showing this to the ALX author? Maybe he'll take it in account and clean up his own code, hence removing the need for you to work on that.

Or, like CW suggested :
You could maybe do a pull request to ALX, and then have it as a submodule to your own projects.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2015, 13:49 by Monsieur OUXX »

« Reply #42 on: 19 Mar 2015, 14:19 »
Oh, and Visual Studio is terrible. I'm on the verge of abandoning it because of its horrific implementation of the C++ standard. >:(

Please don't :)

I should point out again, that using single compiler for all supported platforms (e.g. GCC) has practical benefit: you are always sure that if it compiles on Windows, it will compile on Linux.
Having both MSVS for Win and GCC for Linux may (and will) cause annoying compatibility issues from time to time.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2015, 14:21 by Crimson Wizard »

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mittens Lord
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #43 on: 19 Mar 2015, 14:58 »
Personally I think very highly of Visual Studio as an IDE (I have no opinion on the C++ compiler), so I'd just point out that if you want to switch to GCC, it's still possible to use VS as your IDE (the second option, creating a makefile project, sounds the most sane).

Monsieur OUXX

• Mittens Vassal
  • Cavefish
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    •  
« Reply #44 on: 20 Mar 2015, 13:46 »
Yeah, I meant "please don't drop the porting", not "please don't drop VS". Do as you wish with VS, especially if it helps cross-platform programming. Snarky's comment is interesting.

monkey0506

• SEND PIZZA.
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2017, for his work to help AGS games reach the widest possible audience - through popular distribution platforms (Steam, Galaxy) as well as other operating systems (Android, Linux)
    • monkey0506 worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • monkey0506 worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #45 on: 20 Mar 2015, 16:10 »
I like VS as an IDE, but Microsoft's compiler is the Internet Explorer of compilers. It has no respect or compliance for the standard. I'm trying to use very simple features that were standardized by the C++11 standard, such as the noexcept keyword, but VS2013 doesn't support it. And it's not like they didn't know about the keyword beforehand, the noexcept keyword was officially proposed in 2010.

I probably will take a look at just using mingw instead.