AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

It helps that I have played Cornelius Cat recently  :-D
I gave it a try :

A tree's moved by a Nice enough audition (9 letters, 2 words)

That's my first one so please be clement

Baron

Spoiler
"nice enough audition" = "ok try", which means I need a four letter tree, like "pine".  "Moves" implies a rearrangement of letters, which can only yield one thing:

Spoiler

Pinker Toy! ;-D
[close]
[close]

Creamy

Me reading your post : :shocked: :confused: :grin:
One thing is right yet :
Spoiler
"Moves" implies a rearrangement of letters
[close]

Hint :
Spoiler
I had forgetten to capitalize the letter  "N", sorry.
Guess where I come from.
[close]

Stupot

Spoiler
Ahh so is that a clue that there is some French involved.

Tree is 'arbre'.

Audition could be demo.

Then rearrange the letters for 'more beard.'
[close]

Creamy

We progress :smiley:
Spoiler
QuoteAhh so is that a clue that there is some French involved.
Indeed.
[close]

Spoiler
QuoteTree is 'arbre'.
You don't focuse on the right word.
A tree's moved  / by / a Nice enough audition.
[close]

AnasAbdin

Just to be sure:
Spoiler
audition or addition?
[close]

Creamy

aUdition. This word has several meanings.

Baron

I would have gone with

Spoiler
Nice enough audition first, if possible, to conceal the double meaning of "Nice" (they do it in the crosswords all the time).
[close]

Spoiler
Also, the closest thing I can find to a "Nice audition" would be "un essai".  I'm still going with my "palm" tree, so scrambling "palm" + "essai" = spam aisle, everyone's favourite hypermarket passage! ;-D
[close]

Creamy

@ Baron :
Spoiler
QuoteI would have gone with Nice enough audition first, if possible, to conceal the double meaning of "Nice" (they do it in the crosswords all the time).
Yes. I had forgotten about capitalizing the letter when I first wrote the crossword. By the tme I noticed, it was too late to change the whole sentence.
QuoteI'm still going with my "palm" tree
Why don't you just move the letters?
[close]

Hint :
Spoiler
I assumed you knew a certain joke that several locals told me when I lived in Scotland. Sorry if it's far-fetched.
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
The spam aisle ship is sailing...ââ,,¢Â« ;)
[close]

Spoiler
All right, I'm not hearing a lot of support for spam aisle.  So let's see...  "tree" is moved, which means rearranging letters.  A "Nice enough" is apparently "un oeuf".  I don't see how an egg does an audition, except maybe when it's graded at the processing facility....  So my best guess is "tree + oeuf = etre oeuf", which means "to be egg".  Whatever that means. (roll)
[close]

Creamy

I won't be home for the next days and I don't want to ruin this topic with my bad crossword, so here is the answer :
Spoiler
"A tree's moved" = Easter
[close]
Spoiler
"By" = next to.
[close]
Spoiler
"Audition" has several meanings. One of them is "act of hearing".
a Nice enough audition = "enough" heard by someone from Nice = an egg
[close]
Spoiler
And the answer is... Easter egg!
[close]

Thanks for playing Baron, Stupot and AnasAbdin. Anyone feel free to post a new one.

Mandle

MIND BLOWN!!!!

But you were wrong that it was a bad puzzle...It was just the kind of puzzle that totally needs to be in a game where you get feedback from the game while solving it...THEN it is AWESOME!!!

It was a really, really well thought out and good puzzle and if anyone wants to continue on during the author's break and not read the solution then cool...

But if not, here's a new one:

No money boils the unlockables. (4, 5, 4)

Slight context hint:
Spoiler
Gaming related.
[close]

This one is probably way too easy for the vets of this thread. I just felt we might be getting just a bit too cryptic and shutting the thread's accessability down to just a few players and even then it might be getting a bit too hard...

So I thought we could go back to basics with a few fast and quick ones and attract some new players...

For the vets: Just give a nod and a wink (maybe just post "GOT IT" for example) if you solve this one instantly and let's open up the thread for new players who haven't been through the trenches yet...

Stupot

Spoiler

Blade Runner?
[close]
:-D

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 16/09/2015 11:09:49
Spoiler

Blade Runner?
[close]
:-D

HAHAHAHA!!! Nice edit!

CaptainD

I think I've actually got one!!!

Spoiler
Free Steam Keys
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 16/09/2015 13:29:28
I think I've actually got one!!!

Spoiler
Free Steam Keys
[close]

YUP!!!

Got one for us?

CaptainD

In short, a Shakespearean king, afraid of himself; in what you would definitely not keep valuables in.

Theme:  Retro Games (4,9)

Baron

*Baron demands bolded clues, letter counts, and possibly even a bit of proofreading. :)

CaptainD

Quote from: Baron on Fri 18/09/2015 01:26:08
*Baron demands bolded clues, letter counts, and possibly even a bit of proofreading. :)

DONE!  (Though I don't promise the bolded bits will necessarily help that much.) :P

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 18/09/2015 08:22:54
Quote from: Baron on Fri 18/09/2015 01:26:08

DONE!  (Though I don't promise the bolded bits will necessarily help that much.) :P

OMG!!! Baron is requesting for the different sections of the hint be bolded to make it easier??? What lows have he, and this thread, sunk to?!?!?!

Spoiler
CaptainD: I think what he actually meant was for the entire clue to be bolded as it usually is. (laugh)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk