Goat Herd and the Gods

Started by Dropped Monocle Games, Sun 07/12/2014 11:40:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropped Monocle Games

Life was pretty peaceful for Atl the Aztec goat herder.
That is until the legendary El Chupacabra showed up to decimate his four legged friends. Against such a mighty foe,
how can Atl save the day? Maybe with a little divine intervention?
Join our cowardly goat herd on his journey and find out in Goat Herd and the Gods!

Goat Herd and the Gods is a short point and click adventures game, and is the second title from Dropped Monocle's team (Soxbrooker & Myinah)

>>DOWNLOAD NOW<<

The Goat Herd and the Gods Original Soundtrack composed by Denis "Problem" Comtesse is available to download now.

Update: Non installer version download

Gurok

:O I can't believe this is done already! Downloading!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

Wow! Congrats on the release! :)
Downloading now! Looking forward to try it!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Dualnames

Congratulations on releasing this!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

I<3Pindorama!

VERY NICE!
Could easily be a BD character!

Cassiebsg

Really really nice game, unfortunatly I seemed to manage to get it stuck into the hourglass...
Spoiler

This is a spoiler view at the risk of your own insanity, if you have not yet played the game!
Spoiler

...right after I blended the chilli powered with the ambrosia crystals...
[close]
[close]

And now I have to close the game and start over, as I hadn't saved... :~(

EDIT: Just played it again to the same point, saved it this time around, and yup, something happened! Is this a bug? Or am I just unlucky to have gotten a broken copy? (I got the zip file, but should not be anydiference, right?)

splat44

Agreed! I even sent a PM!
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 07/12/2014 19:20:37
Really really nice game, unfortunatly I seemed to manage to get it stuck into the hourglass...
Spoiler

This is a spoiler view at the risk of your own insanity, if you have not yet played the game!
Spoiler

...right after I blended the chilli powered with the ambrosia crystals...
[close]
[close]

And now I have to close the game and start over, as I hadn't saved... :~(

EDIT: Just played it again to the same point, saved it this time around, and yup, something happened! Is this a bug? Or am I just unlucky to have gotten a broken copy? (I got the zip file, but should not be anydiference, right?)

Dropped Monocle Games

I am so so sorry, I have found the bug and fixing it now! I'll be uploading and changing the links ASAP,
I'm really sorry you have had this waste your time!

Update:
The Zipped version is now fixed hopefully, but I'm really sorry to say that old save files may keep the same bug, so to avoid this you may have to start a new game..

Update 2: okay, both versions are fixed

Shadow1000

I just finished playing. All I can say is AWESOME short game! Really polished graphics and animation. Cute puzzles and dialogues. I got stuck at the same place as Cassie and splat (I do wonder why that didn't emerge during testing) but it took less than 5 minutes to catch up to the point of the bug and continue.

Really well done!

SHADOW

josiah1221

I've really enjoyed this so far! Great graphics, great dialogue, fun and logical puzzles, just an over all splendid game! The only thing I've noticed is I'm not hearing the speech?! I checked to make sure the option was checked in the settings. BTW, I downloaded the zip archive. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also downloaded the installer but same result?!

Calypso

Congratulations again! It's really a nice little game.

josiah1221: The game doesn't include any voice acting at this point, so don't worry, it's not an issue on your side.
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Cassiebsg

Finished it now. (laugh)
Thanks bunch for fixing it, loved playing this little gem full of humor! Great job!

If any complaints, is that the video play hacks on my machine, and specially the end video was like watching a slow motion film dropping frames all over.
Not sure what AGS uses to play the video, but playing it outside with VLC plays just fine, no hacking and really smooth animation.

Myinah

The video playback can be hit and miss with the engine. My current laptop is pretty high spec and it sometimes runs perfectly and other days goes very slow mo. I think we might be pushing it to it's limit a bit as we are aiming to get HD quality where possible.

The bug was not the fault of the testers, we added new menus and a splash screen based on feedback and just wanted to get the game released before the end of the year so we can start working on our first full length title, Witchy Woo 2! It was our over eagerness not the wonderful testers who did a superb job!

Thank you all for the wonderful comments though! Glad to hear people are enjoying it :)

arj0n

Gongratz on the release, Sox & Myinah!

shaun9991

congratulations on the release! starting playing it last night, very cool :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

cat

This game is out AND it is freeware? Amazing! I'm glad I have two weeks off over Christmas - they will certainly be filled with adventure games!

josiah1221

Not sure if this is a spoiler but just in case
Spoiler
I noticed in the scene with the fire pit you can walk up to the tree on the upper left and a swoosh sound is heard as a leaf falls to the ground... if you back away and walk forward again you will hear the swoosh sound again and the leaf will rise back up. Any significance to this?!?!
[close]

splat44

This a bug:
Spoiler
Yes, I noted and as the leaf goes back up is surely a bug indeed! It should always fall down! This leaf isn't needed and it just an animation
[close]

Quote from: josiah1221 on Tue 09/12/2014 03:14:53
Not sure if this is a spoiler but just in case
Spoiler
I noticed in the scene with the fire pit you can walk up to the tree on the upper left and a swoosh sound is heard as a leaf falls to the ground... if you back away and walk forward again you will hear the swoosh sound again and the leaf will rise back up. Any significance to this?!?!
[close]

Dropped Monocle Games

:grin:
Spoiler
Congrats you found a little easter egg! It was a silly bug I made at the start of development that we left in as it makes us laugh.. so its not a bug.. its a feature ;)
[close]

Myinah

We have a couple of videos of that particular "bug" on YouTube. It really tickled us for some reason. We were just learning to animate stuff and I think we like it because it shows how far we have come. Also everything about it is ridiculous, like the sound effect! Since when would it make that much noise?! We debated taking it out but decided to leave it in as an Easter Egg because it made us laugh as Sox said. (laugh)

You can see the footage im talking about here.

CaptainD

This game really looks beautiful.  I'll do my best to find some time to play it...

IndieRetroNews

The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Mandle

Sorry, does the game actually need 1.4GB to install out of a 100MB download or is my installer screwing up somewhere!? Because that is what it's telling me!

Don't get me wrong...the game looks beautiful and I want to play it, but with my crappy computer I just can't afford 1.4GB of disk space taken up by it...

It kinda blew my mind that a 100MB download could require that much space to install...Am I making some huge misconception here by doing something wrong?

Problem

It's indeed 1.4GB. AGS has the option to compress the sprites, so maybe the game was compiled without sprite compression? In this case it should be possible to recompile the game with sprite compression, which wouldn't make a difference for the installer and .zip file, but it should make the installed game considerably smaller.

Dropped Monocle Games

Problem is correct... I hadn't put on the sprite compression (Sorry!), I'm working on it now and will have the updated (smaller) version up as soon as possible

Update: The installer version (99mb) is updated and the intalled file size should be about 189mb now, very sorry about the mistake and I hope you enjoy the game :)

Update 2: Zip version updated too

selmiak

what a lovely little game. I had some good laughs conversing with the gods and really enjoyed it! MORE! ;-D

Mandle

Quote from: Soxbrooker on Tue 16/12/2014 12:32:52
Problem is correct... I hadn't put on the sprite compression (Sorry!), I'm working on it now and will have the updated (smaller) version up as soon as possible

Update: The installer verion (99mb) is updated and the intalled file size should be about 189mb now, very sorry about the mistake and I hope you enjoy the game :)

Update 2: Zip version updated too

YAY!!! I will be playing this later today for sure now! Thanks for the quick fix!

Dropped Monocle Games

Mandle

Thanks for the awesome game!

Spoiler
The conversations with the Gods were a LOT of fun!!! Very Monty Pythonesque and humourous without getting annoying. Would love to play it with good voice acting!

Great stuff! Now I have to go play Witchy Woo to get a certain reference retroactivly...
[close]

Stupot

Ahh I was just coming to post that the game is running [like waaaaaay] too slowly on my machine. I guess it's related to the file size issue mentioned above (I downloaded it last week, so I'll try downloading the new version and see if it runs any quicker).

Ibispi

I've just finished the game and here are some of my thoughts:
The highest quality graphics in AGS game I've ever seen. You guys did an amazing work in graphics department, like professionals. There were even cutscenes! :shocked:
On the other side, the puzzles weren't the greatest: it required a lot of walking through all the backgrounds and was tedious.
Spoiler
I've spent around 15 minutes looking for something to grind the cooked berries, until I've found the rock in the cave; whilst there was one more rock next to the hole in the temple, which wasn't a hotspot nor an object and I desperately tried to somehow use the broken foot of the broken foot of the statue for grinding! :grin:
[close]
I suggest you to make it possible to quickly move the character by double left clicking, or just make the character move faster for your future games, so that the walking around would be less tedious.
Otherwise, great looking game, we need more of these, since they prove how AGS can be used for higher screen resolution/gfx quality games!   :)

AprilSkies

One of the nicest game I played this year!
Great work! I wanted more!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk