Gathering feature suggestions for the Engine

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 03/07/2012 11:17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 28/11/2014 14:58:50
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 28/11/2014 08:33:34
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 28/11/2014 05:56:55
Is it possible to make the built in scrolling adjustable ie: Viewport.offset(cChar.x, cChar.y - 100);
playing with SetViewport in repeat_execute turns out really award with blocking walk scripts etc.
Let me know if I'm being a noob....
Use repeatedly_execute_always, that runs even during blocking scripts?
Yah, that kind of works, but there is terrible shuttering that otherwise (without the adjustment to built in scrolling) is not there.

There was a parallax module that did pretty good scrolling, maybe check that? The example of the games which use it is "Nelly Cootalot".

Dualnames

Primordia also uses it. And the Cat Lady I believe.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'll see if I can figure it out, thanks for the tip!

Cassiebsg

Sorry if this has been posted/asked before, but am wondering if it's possible to "downgrade" and AGS game, using the filters?
We have a lot of x2 to increase the size, but no /2 or /3 filters to downgrade size. :-\

Let's say I have a 800x600 or higher res, but I wish to run it in a window at 640x400... would this be possible in the future? or am stuck with the minimum res the game provides and can only increase it?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 07/12/2014 14:37:09
Sorry if this has been posted/asked before, but am wondering if it's possible to "downgrade" and AGS game, using the filters?
We have a lot of x2 to increase the size, but no /2 or /3 filters to downgrade size. :-

Yes, it is possible since 3.4.0.0 alpha. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51050.0

Cassiebsg

Thanks CW, then it's a shame the game I wish to play is made with 3.3.2.0... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Dualnames

Super question will there be a chance to parse through a big array (repeatedly) without having fps drops?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Scavenger on Fri 28/11/2014 19:52:03
Hey, would it be easy/possible to uncouple Character.LightLevel from regions? I like using LightLevel for a few effects and it's difficult to juggle moving the sprite and making sure it's on the correct region for the lighting I want on them. If it could be done manually, like Character.Scaling can be done now, it would make my job a lot easier.

I added an issue to the tracker: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=634.0

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 07/12/2014 21:26:03
Super question will there be a chance to parse through a big array (repeatedly) without having fps drops?
This I can't answer. It sounds like "will the engine ever run faster?". :-\

Calin Leafshade

How about a "late" rep ex function?

Currently AGS runs the rep ex functions before it runs the game logic so any scripts that rely on player position or view/loop/frame are always out by one game loop.

So I think a function that runs after the game logic would be useful.

Edit:
I just very quickly added it in and it seems to work but I'm not familiar enough with the engine to say if it will cause issues.
https://github.com/CalinLeafshade/ags/tree/feature_late_repex

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 19/12/2014 19:46:54
How about a "late" rep ex function?

Currently AGS runs the rep ex functions before it runs the game logic so any scripts that rely on player position or view/loop/frame are always out by one game loop.

So I think a function that runs after the game logic would be useful.

Edit:
I just very quickly added it in and it seems to work but I'm not familiar enough with the engine to say if it will cause issues.
https://github.com/CalinLeafshade/ags/tree/feature_late_repex

Yes, you had already make an issue for this before, I think.
That might work. Is the "late_*" a suitable name though?

Calin Leafshade

Late seems like an ok name to me. Not sure.

Maybe final_?

Klytos

The new build is looking really good, I love the ability to easily build to different platforms and the ability to define your own resolution. Plus the while/break/continue/for functions are going to be very helpful.

With the changes to resolutions, is it possible to change the resolution at run-time? Using AGS commercially I have found that if there's a single issue that my customers have brought up that was solely to do with the engine, it would be not having this functionality. Is this something that's possible to look at?

Dualnames

Btw sounds with lesser duration than 200 ms will not play.

Crimson Wizard

Sslaxx

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 03/01/2015 01:34:42
Please, use the Issue Tracker to report bugs: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=projects

May mods lock this thread please?
More that they should lock this thread and replace it with a sticked post about using the Issue Tracker.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Dualnames

Is there a way I can ask for a way to force the mouse inside the boundaries of the window when in windowed?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 05/01/2015 14:36:06
Is there a way I can ask for a way to force the mouse inside the boundaries of the window when in windowed?
I know how to do this with Windows, but not other OSes. Unless someone gives me a tip this might require some time to investigate.
Can you please post this request in the Issue tracker: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=projects
It is not easy for me to track all the requests in forum threads...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk