Background Blitz - Imprisonment - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by GreenBeams, Thu 26/02/2015 23:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenBeams

WEEEEELLLLLLLL that was an incredibly close run race! Oozing talent like some kind of.... erm.... septic.. genius...?

Bad vocabulary aside, what a belter of a competition. Thank you for actually all turning up to my first hosting gig and please feel free to help yourselves to curly meat paste sandwiches and little hot dogs on stick. We have cheese on sticks for the vegetarians and pineapple chunks on sticks for the vegans!

I've counted the votes and the winners are as follows:

goes to...

Spoiler
Congratulations, Loominous!
[close]

goes to...

Spoiler
Another cracking entry for 304!
[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107389340/AGS/BG_Blitz/Dungeon/VOTING/304.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

And the
tortured mind of dungeon madness is...

Spoiler
Fantastic job, WRK!!!
[close]

Well done and thank you to everyone who entered!! The standard was exceptionally high in all of the voting categories and there's not a background here i couldn't see in a good game! I may be devaluing the exclamation mark by using it so much for everything but i don't care - you all deserve a round of applause...!

I can't wait to see what the next Background Blitz turns out :-D

ThreeOhFour

I had a good time entering the last blitz so I thought I'd have another go! Here's mine!

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/S0T4dLv.png[/imgzoom]

(big thanks to Ilyich who gave me a super easy tip to fix the balance issues!)

Andail

Great theme, I'll definitely enter!
... it's just that Ben immediately raised the bar to inferiority-complex-inducing levels... but hey, I'll give it a go.

I'm really curious about that balance issue, btw, and how it was resolved!

ThreeOhFour

The original version is here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-39_6gUIAA1unL.png

I showed it to Ilyich and commented that I felt the mushrooms had thrown it out of balance, but I wanted them in there to add some colour. He agreed that it was the mushrooms that threw the balance right off, and suggested I put some red on the other side of the image. As soon as I blobbed the red banner in (the only change here) I could instantly see that the balance issue was fixed. I consider it a valuable learning experience!

Grundislav

I also had fun last time, so here is my entry!

GreenBeams

Bally heck fire! Kicking off with the complex-inducing bigguns, indeed!

Marvellous stuff, 304! Just the simple addition to of the red banner has really grounded the piece out. It also does really well in the "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" department!

Ah, Grundislav, loving the water and the whole feel to this! Sort of like the prisoner could be locked in the cage on the ramparts and forced to watch the rescue attempts thwarted form cannon fire. Or could it be that the player is actually being stolen away in the night from their castle home to be imprisoned on a slaver ship? So much to wonder about!   

selmiak

the prison of the future is your brain. it is just frozen for you while tubes regulate your body functions...

[imgzoom]http://selmiak.bplaced.net/stuff/trapped.png[/imgzoom]

I have no idea if this is even a background or more of a painting. But after reading this theme I had to get this picture out of my imprisoned own brain and I always wanted to do a piece with someone stuck to some tubes in a more or less sterile room.
Could work gameplaywise as a rescue mission background :P

Note to self: practise painting faces, I cannot always cheat with cheap helmets ;)

Creamy

Very strong entries once again.
Neat use of the wires, Selmiak.

I don't know if my picture qualifies as a background either :

Monsieur OUXX

Hey Grundislav, did you change your entry? I feel like the contrast is much better. Or is it because I'm watching with a different screen? Anyway: sudden quality boost! :)

I really want to enter this. I just have very little time, with my new job.

Cassiebsg

I guess I could take the challenge and do the Galactica brig or some other scene that I might could use on my BSG game... but am currently focusing my time elsewhere, so I'll probably not enter this one.
Good luck everyone! :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grundislav

Monsieur OUXX: Yeah, I went back and made the ocean darker. Made a world of difference!

GreenBeams

@selmiak - nice twist on the theme, there =D
@Creamy - Yeah, i'd say this is a viable background. You've got interaction points, a way in and out of the scene. The guards may be better off as animated characters and not part of the background unless you're looking through a CCTV camera - If that's the case then they could be static while the camera pans round. Nice style, too!
@MonsieurOUXX - New job, yay! Congratu-ma-lations!

Quick personal aside - I'm at the end of a long visa/emigration process and am finally moving/flying out this friday (6th March). I won't have a computer straight away but i'll do my best to get online as soon as i can! Oh, and the trophies have been added now so that's that donesies!

Monsieur OUXX

I've just found my background ;)
I'll start drawing this weekend.

Mouth for war

Here's my contribution :) (Not very satisfied with the lamp though...oh well) :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Monsieur OUXX

All the entries are really cool and full of personality so far!

Here's my very first wip

Haggis

Go easy on me people but I thought I'd use this months challenge to test my artistic ability for a game idea I have. Integral to it will be creating underwater environments so hence my choice.

This is still very much a work in progress (there should probably be a toilet in there at least)... I'll update as much as possible before the deadline but at least I have something nestled in among your masterpieces.

And yes monsieur, I have created a small replica of your figurine - useful for judging the scale :)

Update: It's not great, my perspective needs definite work and the layout is a little cramped, but I made a start on the cell interior. After being dumped into the ocean, the pod anchors to the bottom. It is then connected to the surface - complete with pneumatic tube delivery system to ensure our prisoner doesn't run out of food and also has somewhere to dispose of their bodily deposits (multifunctional). The tube also provides soft tube lighting. Air vent at the top ensures steady supply of oxygen... could it also offer an escape route? Who knows?

See latest post for entry

Monsieur OUXX

Interesting! That's certainly emprisonment! ;)

GreenBeams

Aaaaaand finally landed but still without a painty computer so here i am on the laptop:

@Mouth for war - very realistic... and kinda creepy. Nice =)
@OUXX - I do so love the buildup of your pieces. keep going!
@Haggis - An other-world-y, underwater-y feel to it. Nice use of the vegetation/kelp stuff for the foreground, too =)

Still time to get an entry in; there're 9 days left :-D

Haggis

Thanks guys. This is a new style of art for me, my previous style had rough outlines around everything (in brown and black) but I wanted to move away from that and at least produce something easy on the eye. This is why it's taking me a while to come up with a better way of adding detail to the prison 'bubble' - you guys make it look so easy!

@Greenbeams - are you saying you don't painstakingly create each masterpiece with a touch-pad laptop? Only way to roll! Glad to hear you made it!

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk