Aractaur (MAGS March 2015) - Updated July 2016

Started by xil, Wed 01/04/2015 01:04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

Aractaur is a black comedy point & click adventure starring Dirk Longerwood as the would-be hero. When even the Special Forces can't take out a spider-alien-thing, Dirk must step in and save the world himself.

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/arac2.png[/imgzoom][imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/arac3.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/arac4.png[/imgzoom][imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/arac5.png[/imgzoom]

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Stupot

Great little game. A lot of fun, lovely backgrounds, funny dialogue.
Spoilers below
Spoiler
I loved the rat sequence in particular.
The bit I got most stuck on was getting the lighter, but it didn't take me too long in the end to work it out.
Did you originally intend for the factory floor to be part of the game? I was sure that I had to somehow unblock the entrance, but it seemed this was just not a puzzle after all, haha.
[close]

Good job indeed :-)

Mandle

This is slotted in as my tomorrow afternoon playtime...YAY!

Shadow1000

I just finished this game. It really enjoyed it and
Spoiler
I also got stuck at the lighter. It took a while to figure that one out
[close]

Cheers

SHADOW

Mandle

Just finished and it was tons of fun!!!

A few glitches and comments(including spoilers):
Spoiler
Right-click on factory roof pipe gives same description as fuel tank grate.
After sawing off factory roof pipe and then going back down to ground level: Factory roof pipe still there (I'm guessing you used two seperate rooms and forgot to delete the pipe object in ground floor room?)
Oh and by the way: Champagne doesn't burn so I'm guessing that cheap stuff is 80% paint-thinner or something???
There was a sequel to "that 80's movie"...It was called Cocoon 2 and it was terrible.
Apart from the obvious "Aliens" references I'm guessing you have also seen "The Mist": I kept expecting that cocooned soldier to fall over, split open, and thousands of tiny spiders to boil out of his remains.
[close]

Great game all around!!!

Shadow1000

To add to what Mandle said:

Spoiler
once the generator is fixed, the description of the generator still indicates that it's broken and there is still a dialogue option with Bobby that indicates that it's broken

As well I had the game shut down with an AGS error near the area where you lure the rat
[close]

SHADOW

ThreeOhFour

Very fun little game. The self referential humour was nice, as were some of the puzzle ideas. A bit of feedback - sometimes the borderless text was a little hard to read.

Other than that, well done for another successful MAGS entry, and it's cool to see you trying different writing ideas out and experimenting!

NickyNyce

Very nice little game you have here. It was fun to play and the humor was great. A few typos here and there, but this was a fun 45 minutes of classic adventure gaming. Good job.

Creamy

It was surprisingly long for a MAGS game, like IamJason, and very enjoyable too. Are the names of the people in the game completely random ? Like the hero and his girlfriend, people in the folders...

selmiak

This cool, I hope I find some time to complete it.

xil

Hi everyone!

I've been out of the country to sorry for not replying sooner! Thanks so much for the kind comments and thanks for pointing out some of the bugs and issues.

Unfortunately I really didn't have much time this month so will be going back to this in a couple of weeks time after Adventure Jam/April MAGS (which thankfully is only 2 weeks so should give me a day or two to easily to polish it up and add some of the extra bits I originally intended).

Spoiler

I was laughing quite a lot at some of the mistakes - I had no idea bubbly didn't burn (we'll go with the cheap paint stripper option ;)) and also no idea about cocoon 2 haha (i assumed it just couldn't be possible to have a cocoon 2 and enjoyed the cocoons/aliens pun!!) :) Funnily enough as well as Cocoon 2 I also haven't seen The Mist but it's going on the list and I'm definitely going to work something special into the deluxe ending sequence I have planned.

I did also intend to have the factory floor as an extra playable room (it was going to feature the Aractaur again with a puzzle to obtain the metal saw), however, I'm just going to remove the arrow/room reference to avoid confusion.
[close]

Apologies to those of you that found some bugs - I was accidentally using a custom version of the new beta engine so totally my fault that one. I'll make sure to downgrade back to the beta release for the next game!

P.S. I will get round to playing the other MAGS entries hopefully today/tomorrow, they both looked awesome :)

P.P.S. The names were pretty much random with a splash of reference to people I know in real life =).
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

xil

Hey!

I vaguely promised an updated version of this and over a year later, I'm following through!

I've updated some of the speech/story, added a brand new ending, created a hopefully more readable font and udpated the AGS version to get rid of the fullscreen mouse issues. It's not a massive update so if you've played it before don't expect to be blown away by the differences but they are there. :)

I've also uploaded it to GameJolt for those of you who like to play/download from there!

Download link is updated in the main post or here are the links for your convinience: Download Aractaur (GameJolt) - Download Aractaur (mirror)

--------------------------------------------

Thought I'd update this post to answer Mandle as it's slightly off-topic :)

@Mandle I have been very quiet unfortunately, but I always check the forums and try to play all the games :) However, saying that, you will be seeing a GiP thread from me very soon for a full game project I'm working on with an extremely talented musician. The demo has been in the works for the past year or so and it's veeeeerrrry close!

I'm also currently going through my back log of games that need some love (hence this update!) and hopefully I'll get to do another MAGS soon :)

Mandle

Hey xil! I actually checked your profile just yesterday to see if you were still around. You've been quiet recently.

Glad to see you still here and still working with AGS.

Anything new in the works?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk