A dedicated subforum for AGS releases

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 14/07/2015 19:27:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

I think that it might have become a problem that the final release announcements are posted in "Development" sections. That became a short tradition when we started releasing our first builds ourselves.

I think this may be inconvenient for both developers and common users, because the topics of very different purposes (release announcements, questions, bug reports and developer discussions) are mixed up in one subforum. There are other reasons, for example: Engine and Editor development discussion is divided, but the release announcement is related to both of them. Also, the subforum description reads "For discussing and planning the development of the AGS" which may be misleading for end users.

Can we create a new subforum called, for instance, "AGS Releases" and put it into "AGS Support" (above Beginner's questions)?
What would you think about this?

selmiak

Sound like a pretty good idea. Only the devs should be allowed to start new topics there.
And of course it needs a big sticky topic with WISHES/FEATURE SUGGESTIONS which sneakily links to the bugtracker   8-)

AGA

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52418.new#new.  As a moderator you should be able to start topics, CW.  Let me know who else you feel should have this option...

Crimson Wizard

Thank you very much. I believe I should write a sticky with subforum rules first, like in other forums?

selmiak

Hey CW, after reading your sticky I realised what I have done with my previous posts and I am not sure about anything anymore and if there ever was a female pope or earth is hollowed from the inside out. AGS is open source. What happens if someone branches AGS, adds a lot of cool features and wants to release this? He can't open a new topic for that in the new forum! So this is a totally official forum now.
Not that having many AGS branches would make it any less confusing but that's the open source thing...
So I'm still of the opinion opening new topics in the AGS releases forum should be restrictive, noone should open a topic there if he didn't find a stairway to the devine codegods and... no, I mean, only a few people would open useful topics there, to make easy AGS branch release announcements possible either losen the restrictions as in global forum settingshizzle and have the mods delete unneeded newbie and drunkpost topics there once in 3 months and as a restriction beat the forumuser up with a salty fish or octopus or have people apply for posting a new topic and maybe scare them off that way from branching and bringing their features to the world. But then of course when they would want to apply you could use your super1337skillz to bend and rule them and make them commit it to the official branch. And there is still the engine and editor development forum.
I don't know, just wanted to get this out and not clutter up your nice sticky, where you should probably address this too. Or here, maybe someone has the bestest idea how to do this...

Crimson Wizard

Yes, I guess it may make sense to let people start their topics if they release an alternate version. But that is not fully under my control right now. I guess the forum mods might have their own opinion on this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk